Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did the Pyramids lose their outer polished stone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amun-Ra
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: How did the Pyramids lose their outer polished stone? Reply with quote

I heard that the Muslims took it as building material for their mosques, but this seems to be a bold statement I cannot find any sources to back it up.

Do you guys know of credible material that explains what happened to the smooth outer facade of the pyramids? Idea

Cheers
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have my books in front of me right now, but I think it is correct that at least some of the outer limestone tiles were taken and used in the construction of other buildings.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were built for other building contructions, I highly doubt for the mosques though. It was by latter Ancient Egyptians (18th dynasty etc.) that re-used the outer limestone layers for Temples and Statues etc.
I have read in many books and article sites.
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was stolen by the aliens that had put it there originally. Laughing
BobManske
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montuhotep88 wrote:

And Montu ought to know. He was one of those aliens! You should see his house, the exterior is all polished stone - but it's kind of tacky to have that solid gold pyramidion at his roof-top.

Give it back, Montu. Hawass called several times before his downfall. And he wants all of Tutankhumun's stuff back, too. You know, that stuff you've got stashed in your garage!

Bob

Good bye, Doug, thanks a lot, and you're welcome for all the fish. Stop by our way again.
Amun-Ra
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EgyptianRose wrote:
They were built for other building contructions, I highly doubt for the mosques though. It was by latter Ancient Egyptians (18th dynasty etc.) that re-used the outer limestone layers for Temples and Statues etc.
I have read in many books and article sites.

Well this is the source I found for the Mosque-hypothesis. It is the Al-Hassan mosque in Cairo, built in the 14th century.

http://www.caroluk.co.uk/panoram/pyram.html

http://www.interestingfacts.org/fact/the-pyramids-were-white

http://jnocook.net/pyramids/index.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid

http://www.cheops-pyramide.ch/khufu-pyramid/casing-stones.html
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobManske wrote:
Montuhotep88 wrote:

And Montu ought to know. He was one of those aliens! You should see his house, the exterior is all polished stone - but it's kind of tacky to have that solid gold pyramidion at his roof-top.

Give it back, Montu. Hawass called several times before his downfall. And he wants all of Tutankhumun's stuff back, too. You know, that stuff you've got stashed in your garage!

Bob

Ya know, I'd love to, but that darn Von Daniken guy keeps snooping around with his buddies Bauval and Hancock... not safe for me to be seen anywhere near my own palace! Er, house. Darn groupies.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montuhotep88 wrote:

Ya know, I'd love to, but that darn Von Daniken guy keeps snooping around with his buddies Bauval and Hancock... not safe for me to be seen anywhere near my own palace! Er, house. Darn groupies.

Don't forget Zecharia Sitchin, the high priest of von Däniken and the others. Too bad Sitchin has passed on because now there's no one to keep the others in line.

Visit my blog!
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I would love to read through all those web pages you posted, I'd rather not, due to the lack of time I have to concentrate and read. So I'll just say I stand corrected. Wink

The Limestone was probably stolen and re-used by multiple people for multiple reasons during different generations.

Though congratulations you seemed to have answered your own question ? =)
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: