Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On My Wish List
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: On My Wish List Reply with quote

These are the titles currently on my Amazon "wish list." If anyone's familiar with any of them, I'm interested in your feedback.

Blyth, Elizabeth. Karnak: Evolution of a Temple.

Frood, Elizabeth. Biographical Texts from Ramessid Egypt (Writings from the Ancient World series).

Kozloff, Arielle P. Amenhotep III: Egypt's Radiant Pharaoh.

Landström, Björn. Ships of the Pharaohs: 4,000 Years of Egyptian Shipbuilding.

O'Connor, David B. Abydos: Egypt's First Pharaohs and the Cult of Osiris.

Robins, gay. The Art of Ancient Egypt (Revised Edition).

Tyldesley, Joyce. Tutankhamen: The Search for an Egyptian King. (I usually wouldn't give another title about Tut a second glance, but I'd cheerfully make an exception for Dr. Tyldesley.)

Wilkinson, Richard H. Tausret: Forgotten Queen and Pharaoh of Egypt.

Wilkinson, Toby A. H. The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt. (Again, I have plenty of general histories of Ancient Egypt, but the author is what would make me take a look at this...)

(Hm... odd... the website seems to be decapitalizing Gay Robins' first name.)
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: On My Wish List Reply with quote

Montuhotep88 wrote:
... If anyone's familiar with any of them, I'm interested in your feedback.

Blyth, Elizabeth. Karnak: Evolution of a Temple. ...

Buy. One of three books I have always with me on a visit to Luxor. The Karnak - Temple is described in detail. The author proceeds chronologically. From the earliest archeological detectable origins of the plant to the final state are described all the major extensions and alterations. I really enjoyed with this book in hand to explore the temple. Good style, accurate source of information, highly recommended.

Montuhotep88 wrote:
... Kozloff, Arielle P. Amenhotep III: Egypt's Radiant Pharaoh. ...

Newly acquired still read on ... Seems to me to go strong in the direction of popular science?

Montuhotep88 wrote:
... O'Connor, David B. Abydos: Egypt's First Pharaohs and the Cult of Osiris. ...

Buy. The best book about Abydos as a whole (if that's even possible) I know. Quite outstanding.

Montuhotep88 wrote:
... Robins, gay. The Art of Ancient Egypt (Revised Edition). ...

A standard work at many universities. I know it (still) not really.

Montuhotep88 wrote:
... Wilkinson, Richard H. Tausret: Forgotten Queen and Pharaoh of Egypt. ...

I plan to order. Normaly everything from this autor is recommandable.

Greetings, Lutz.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt by Toby Wilkinson, I have read and very much enjoyed reading it. He is able to fit in Informational, Understandable and enjoyable in one book. I learnt a lot about Ancient Egypt from this book especially the rule of the Hyksos and many other foreign places that invaded Egypt, also there is a bit about the mysterious sea people that attempted to invade Egypt. Some people might not agree with all his views, though over all it is a good book to read.

I am currently waiting on an order from Amazon. Tutankhamen: The search for an Egyptian King by of course Joyce, Tyldesley. Should have it by the end of this week, so I'll inform about the book shortly enough =)
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on the Karnak book, Lutz. it's been on my Amazon wishlist for ages, waiting to see if its worth it. Clearly- it is.

Thanks

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styler78 wrote:
... waiting to see if its worth it. Clearly- it is. ...

It is not a picture book but it gives so many informations on an easy to read way. Since it goes chronological it is no problem to find for every pharao of the MK & NK what we know about his building activities in Karnak, together with the list of literature for further reading about. Only just because of that it is great.

Greetings, Lutz.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Styler78 wrote:
... waiting to see if its worth it. Clearly- it is. ...

It is not a picture book but it gives so many informations on an easy to read way. Since it goes chronological it is no problem to find for every pharao of the MK & NK what we know about his building activities in Karnak, together with the list of literature for further reading about. Only just because of that it is great.

Greetings, Lutz.

I sounds just like what i'm after. Thanks

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: On My Wish List Reply with quote

Montuhotep88 wrote:
These are the titles currently on my Amazon "wish list." If anyone's familiar with any of them, I'm interested in your feedback.

Blyth, Elizabeth. Karnak: Evolution of a Temple.

O'Connor, David B. Abydos: Egypt's First Pharaohs and the Cult of Osiris.

Robins, gay. The Art of Ancient Egypt (Revised Edition).

Tyldesley, Joyce. Tutankhamen: The Search for an Egyptian King. (I usually wouldn't give another title about Tut a second glance, but I'd cheerfully make an exception for Dr. Tyldesley.)

Wilkinson, Toby A. H. The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt. (Again, I have plenty of general histories of Ancient Egypt, but the author is what would make me take a look at this...)

I've removed those I haven't read and have left those I have indeed read. I personally recommend all of them. I particularly echo Lutz's recommendation for Blyth's book on Karnak. It's a must for anyone with a real interest in the temples and the history of that site.

I also understand your affection for Tyldesley's work. I've enjoyed everything of hers that I've read, and I've read a number of her books. I enjoy reading books about Tutankhamun and don't have a problem buying new ones about him, but I recall getting a lot from Tyldesley's book on him (it's been some years since I read it).

I gobbled up O'Connor's book on Abydos. I agree with Lutz's assessment of it, and O'Connor maintains a lively and interesting style throughout, as well as presenting a thorough and informative work.

I've read a number of G.ay Robinson's books and have liked them all. There are plenty of books about art in ancient Egypt and Robins, in my opinion, does a particularly good job.

Definitely get Wilkinson's The Rise and Fall. Like you I'm wary of buying general-history books anymore, but I've enjoyed everything I've read by Wilkinson, so I gave it a shot. And loved it. Extremely informative and thorough. I think you would find that it's not the average general-history book.

I realize my list is out of order, but I was just pecking away. I wasn't familiar with Landström's book so, because of you, I've added it to my own Wish List. It sounds very interesting. If I buy it, it will be from the "used" list, of course. Wow, talk about pricey. Shocked

Visit my blog!
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one on tawosret looks good, and i had thought i had it in my wish list anyway. the one on amenhotep III also looks quite interesting. like others, i find the constant stream of tutankhamun books boring, most don't have anything different, but joyce tyldesley is brilliant, and the book is newly published, so it looks like she may have an angle not previously seen.......
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylejustin wrote:
the one on tawosret looks good, and i had thought i had it in my wish list anyway. the one on amenhotep III also looks quite interesting. like others, i find the constant stream of tutankhamun books boring, most don't have anything different, but joyce tyldesley is brilliant, and the book is newly published, so it looks like she may have an angle not previously seen.......

If Tyldesley's book on Tut is newly published then I've probably not read it. I had thought it was years old already, so I must've been thinking of something else by her.

Well, there's another one to add to my Wish List.

Visit my blog!
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it funny how may of us are introduced to the world of Egyptology via Tutankhamun, yet some of us have "had their fill" and tend to steer clear of new publications.

That said, i would not turn down a Tyldesley book on him. Not a chance.

Stuart

Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylejustin wrote:

Tyldesley indeed has her own angle in that she is surprisingly unimpressed by the DNA-test results and their suggested relationships.

Overall it is a nice book with a personal touch to it, but don`t expect really new information that has not been discussed on this board already.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will be interesting seeing which side of the fence she falls on then. i doubt she is the only one wondering about the validity of those results!
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading Toby Wilkinson's Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt and it's quite a good read. He does the seemingly impossible--creating a compelling story out of the disparate and often confusing threads of history and archaeology. Loved the chapter on the Hyksos--even though I know how it ends he had me on the edge of my seat at times. Sure you can quibble with some of his interpretations and I found his choice to use the Egyptian names for most cities and towns but using the Greek names for the capitals seemed a bit odd but overall I heartily recommend it.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naunacht wrote:
I've been reading Toby Wilkinson's Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt and it's quite a good read. He does the seemingly impossible--creating a compelling story out of the disparate and often confusing threads of history and archaeology. Loved the chapter on the Hyksos--even though I know how it ends he had me on the edge of my seat at times. Sure you can quibble with some of his interpretations and I found his choice to use the Egyptian names for most cities and towns but using the Greek names for the capitals seemed a bit odd but overall I heartily recommend it.

I completely agree, and the book is definitely a good and enjoyable read, like I had previously said in my earlier post on this thread Smile
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Wish list Reply with quote

Here is my current amazon wish list.I seem to add more to it daily.

Egyptian scarabs.Percy newberry 2010
scarabs and cylinder with names.Petrie.University college london
Catalogue of egyptian scarabs in the british museum vol 1
tawasret .forgotten queen on Egypt.Richard.H.Wilknson
Hatshepsut the female pharaoh .Joyce Tydlesley
Egyptian grammer with tables and signs.James Henry Breasted
The British pocket dictionary of Egyptian animals.Angela Mcdonald
The black Pharaohs.Egypt nubian rulers.Rober Morkot
The cult of Ra.Stephen Quirke
concise dictionary of Middle Egyptian.R.O.Faulkner
The complete gods and godesses of ancient Egypt.Richard.H.Wilkinson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: