Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is Tadu-Heba?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Who is Tadu-Heba? Reply with quote

I was reading the through a site full of Amarna Letters and came across this letter from the King of Tushratta Arrow http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/a-tushratta_3.htm

Apparently Tadu-Heba married Akhenaten after Amenhotep's III death, which came to a surprise to me, considering I thought Akhenaten only married Neferteti and Kiya during his rule?

So who is Tadu-Heba?
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies not from King of Tushratta, From Tushratta King of Mitanni*
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you'll find her name is tadu khepa in the literature, sometimes thought she may have been kiya.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again my apologies, the site as you may have seen wrote her name as Tadu Heba. I also was wondering if there was any possibility that she might have been Kiya, considering Kiya is well known to have been a foreign princess whom married Akhenaten. Though is there any evidence supporting that Tadu Khepa may have been Kiya?

Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing at all is known about Kiya's family or background which makes it tempting to equate her with Tadukhipa. It is certainly possible but frankly there is no evidence supporting such an identification and certainly no good reason to believe Kiya was anything but an Egyptian.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people seem to assume she was a foriegn princess for the mere fact that her name is rather unique, though I see that isn't automatically the case. Is there any rough dates as to when Kiya may have married Akhenaten? Any evidence suggesting a date at all?

kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aldred thought it was a pet name similar to 'monkey'. it does appear to be a nick name though. possibly from a foreign name.
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EgyptianRose wrote:
Many people seem to assume she was a foriegn princess for the mere fact that her name is rather unique, though I see that isn't automatically the case. Is there any rough dates as to when Kiya may have married Akhenaten? Any evidence suggesting a date at all?

She only becomes prominent, in a limited sort of way, after the move to Akhetaten so presumably she was married to him by the sixth or seventh year of his reign but she could have been a member of the harem long before that. Sometimes it took a while for a woman to catch the Pharaoh's eye.

Nicknames were not at all uncommon among the AEs sometimes completely replacing the 'real' name in inscriptions. Thus a nickname doesn't mean Kiya was foreign - though she may have been.
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Kiya really was Taduheba, she should have her own opet, maybe constitued with the hundreds of people who came from Mitanni with her plus the remaining ones who came with her aunt decades before. I no wonder it would be located in Ghurob. Akhenaten could just transefered her and her retinue to Akhetaten with possible practical interest (due its manpower in particular).
Frater0082
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense that Kiya was Tadukhepa. Tushratta was a very important ally to Akhenaten and Amenhotep III she would have been highly important in Akhetaten. She could have been placed as a secondary wife like her aunt Gildukhepa.

I wonder what happened to Gildukhepa?
I
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EgyptianRose wrote:
Many people seem to assume she was a foriegn princess for the mere fact that her name is rather unique, though I see that isn't automatically the case.

Kiya's name means something like "monkey" in Egyptian, so it's possibly a pet name which means little as both Egyptians and foreigners in Egypt often have light-hearted nicknames. However, as noted, we know almost nothing about Kiya, and nothing to specifically state that she should be identified as Tadukhipa.

EgyptianRose wrote:
Is there any rough dates as to when Kiya may have married Akhenaten? Any evidence suggesting a date at all?

None of which I am aware: it's only her titles which tell us that she was a wife of the king. Usually Egyptians, royal or common, do not note marriage dates. One can only make assumptions based upon when the names first start appearing as connected with one another.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name "Kiya" is assigned as an Egyptian womans name. See for example a stela in the Vienna KHM :

Stele des Imen-hetep. NK, 19th Dynasty, time of Sethy I., 1314-1304 B.C. Maybe from Saqqara. Limestone, painted. H 120 cm, W 70,2 cm, D 13 cm.
Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, Ägyptisch - Orientalische Sammlung, Inv.-Nr. : AE INV 178.

Kiya is not known from the Talatat at Karnak, but there is a calcite cosmetic pot in the MMA New York: Unguent Vase of Queen Kiya (MMA AN 20.2.11). This vessel was purchased in Egypt from Howard Carter in 1920 by the MMA. He was excavating in Thebes at that time and had also contact to various dealers in the area...

Greetings, Lutz.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it's probably a dimunitive of a longer (perhaps not) name. like jane/joan, fanny/frances, liz/lizzie/eliza/elizabeth etc.
Frater0082
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's stela of Amenhotep right.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylejustin wrote:
so it's probably a dimunitive of a longer (perhaps not) name. ...

This is very often said, but I've never seen anywhere a hint what name that could be?

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: