Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the afnt head cloth
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
khaemwaset
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Homework help Reply with quote

The URL for a khat headdress on Wikipedia is:
URL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khat_(apparel)
khaemwaset
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Homework help Reply with quote

Because the URL of Wikipedia is wrong I give another URL for the kath headdress.
URL:http://www.charlesmiller.co.uk/fla/king/reglia1.htm
maat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lutz"]Lynda Green : Crowned Heads - Royal Regalia of the Amarna & Pre- & Post-Amarna Periods. - In: Amarna Letters - Essays on Ancient Egypt, c. 1390 - 1310 BC - 4. - San Francisco : Kmt Communications Inc., 2000. - pp. 60 - 75., page 65:
Quote:
"... The afnet or khat is a type of headcloth which modem scholars often call a "bag wig." It is derived from the head coverings worn by winnowers in harvest scenes, or by mourners. It is affected not only by both kings and kings' chief wives, but also by goddesses, in particular Isis and Nephthys. However, in the latter instances there is no uraeus attached at the brow, although a symbol for the deity (a throne in the cases of Isis) is usually perched atop the headcloth. The use of the khat by royal women first appears during the Amarna period, and seems to be associated with their increased political and religious status. Unlike the nemes ? strictly a king's headgear ? it is not usual to see the khat in combination with other diadems. On the Karnak colossi of Akhenaten, the king wears the Double Crown directly atop his khat. At El Amarna Nefertiti is depicted with the hemhemet crown surmounting her afnet. ..."

(Just a test for the new scanner and OCR text program ... Cool )

Greetings, Lutz.[/quote
Once again, I thank you for having long ago posted a reference that I need today.
maat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if here is appropriate for this post but I will try to explain my understanding of the khat and nemes (nms) headcloths as they relate to the two sentinel statues in KV62.
The statue on west (left) side of the antechamber wears the khat and the figure at right wears the nms. I consider the nms to indicate a king that is nearest to the the throne as to indicate one who has more recently left the throne and removed his crown or is nearest to afterlife where he will again put on a crown.
The khat is more informal such that no prince would wear at his coronation. It is also related to mourning. Both figures wear the uraeus. Tutankhamun mourned nobody. He took reign at nine years of age.
The khat is for an adult figure king that is longer dead or next in line of succession after Tutankhamun. He had no adult heirs.
There was an obscure reference in the tomb with two very muscular warriors in armor. One cradled a dead boy of middle to late teenage years, apparently a father in grief. The second warrior sat at left in the scene, slumped, leaned back, right leg extended, head hung in grief. Tutankhamun had no male children and not in teen years. A younger male figure (maybe 8 or 9) was also alive then dead but the warriors did not attend to grieve the younger boy. Tut lived to be a young adult. References continued.
The two statues are two different kings. One reigned earlier than the other. The headcloths indicate an order of relative succession.
You can consider the possible identities.
maat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also consider that the gold mask shows a figure who wears the nemes to indicate Tutankhamun as more recently deceased and having removed his crown. This suggests the statue that wears the nemes is an earlier king that is closer to realize or achieve afterlife. The one who wears the khat headcloth would be next to enter afterlife, then Tutankhamun.
maat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my earlier post, I mention having observed a reference to two muscular warrior figures in KV62 (the tomb of Tutankhamun) and failed to note that observations of the warrior references are solely my own. The references are not in my knowledge to be found at this time in any publication. I informally mentioned the observations to make known what informed some of my considerations and conclusions.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: