Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

paper on Akhenaten`s year 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: paper on Akhenaten`s year 12 Reply with quote

Just wanted to share this
http://moscowstate.academia.edu/LadyninIvan/Papers/266531/Year_12_of_Akhenaten_in_the_Context_of_the_Near_Eastern_Political_and_Military_History

Makes quite interesting reading.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Sothis, very interesting Smile
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Sinuhe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: paper on Akhenaten`s year 12 Reply with quote

Sothis wrote:
Just wanted to share this
http://moscowstate.academia.edu/LadyninIvan/Papers/266531/Year_12_of_Akhenaten_in_the_Context_of_the_Near_Eastern_Political_and_Military_History

Makes quite interesting reading.
Hi everybody! Im new Very Happy I've just read sothis's post, most enlightening. My question would be has there ever been a scholarly attempt to chronolize the Amarna letters in real time ? Thanks in advance been a student on here for years but now decided to involve myself. Like a lot of others i'm mainly interested in the Amarna period but solely for the sake of possibly educing some real history out of it.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: paper on Akhenaten`s year 12 Reply with quote

Sinuhe wrote:
... My question would be has there ever been a scholarly attempt to chronolize the Amarna letters in real time ? ...

Die Hethiter - Das Volk der 1000 Götter. - [Catalog Exhibition in Bonn, Germany, 2002]. - Bonn : Kunst- und Ausstellungshalle, 2002 :

The original scan is around 2 MB and very good to read. But the text is in German. If interested, send me an PM with e-mail address.

Greetings, Lutz.
Sinuhe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Lutz! Are these only the ones in the Berlin museum?
Sinuhe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my email is byrnes2010@live.com im not sure what you men by PM?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinuhe wrote:
Thank You Lutz! Are these only the ones in the Berlin museum?

The base of this table is not only the tablets from Amarna (or one museum). It is the result of interdisciplinary consideration of the evidence, mainly from the Egyptology and the Hittite. The finds from the archives of Bogatzkoj (Hattusa), the former capital of the Hittites, play a large role here safely. The interesting thing about this table is that not only Egyptologists have worked on it. It represents the results of many individual branches of archeology.

Greetings, Lutz.

P.S.: "PM" = Private Message. There are three buttons on the bottom of the posts in the forum. The one in the middle is called pm. If you click on it you can send the member who wrote the post a message.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to see that you enjoyed it Smile

One point in the paper which I found rather intriguing is the claim that Akhenaten tolerated the cults of all the other deities until well into his reign because he actually believed in their existence and was anxious not to unleash their wrath and malevolent influence.
I think that the general opinion as I conceived it is that he did not acknowledge the existence of deities other than the Aten and did not believe in them - apart from the few who are connected to the solar cult like Re-Horakhty or the Mnevis bull - but that he let their cults continue for practical reasons, probably in order to not to upset their priesthood and the people too much.
And is it true that is was believed that basically every deity could turn bad and bring evil and chaos about if their cults were not celebrated properly?

Ar least this is what I gather from the paper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: