Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

most underestimated pharaoh
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarga10
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: most underestimated pharaoh Reply with quote

my view is Montuhotep ii! i think he ruled at a very critical phase in AE history. Yet not much is known about him.
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO none of the Middle Kingdom Pharaohs get the attention they deserve. The Montuhoteps pulled Egypt back together after the First Intermediate period and the Amenhemets and Senuserts of the 12th dynasty took it to new heights. They do deserve much more press!

Excavations at Deir el Bahri told us some interesting things about Montuhotep III's domestic life. One queen, several ladies who may have been secondary wives or concubines, AND sixty or so soldiers, probably battle casualties, honored with burial near their king.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meretseger wrote:
... Excavations at Deir el Bahri told us some interesting things about Montuhotep III's domestic life. One queen, several ladies who may have been secondary wives or concubines, AND sixty or so soldiers, probably battle casualties, honored with burial near their king.

I assume you mean Nebhepetre Mentuhotep II. A very interesting and detailed account of this king and his time is (in German) :

Mentuhotep Nebhepetre - Reichseiniger.

The author is an Egyptologist and a good friend. Some photos on this page I could contribute :

Der Tempel Mentuhotep III. auf dem Thotberg.

Lutz
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gather there's some confusion over exactly how many Montuhoteps there were and which did what? I admit I wasn't at all sure whether the Deir el Bahri temple belonged to number II or III.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the ancient Egyptian chronology today it is now believed in the existence of a Mentuhotep as the progenitor of the 11th Dynasty. This one gets the count "I". From his government, presumably as a nomarch of Thebes, there is no contemporary evidence. He bears the unique title "Father of the gods". The title godsfather (without a special gods name) was in MK for non royal fathers of kings in use. So it is believed that he is the father of Antef I and II (Antef II donated a statue of him in the sanctuary of Heqaib on Elephantine).

Retrospectively assigned to him is the royal dignity. In the King List of Karnak (Thutmose III) his name appears in a cartouche, his horus name is "tepya" ("The Ancestor"). He also was listed in the Turin Canon but the name is partly destroyed there.

(Hornung / Krauss / Warburton : Ancient Egyptian Chronology. - Leiden : Brill, 2006. - p. 160.)

The temple and tomb in the Valley of Der el-Bahari was build by his possible grand-grand-son, Nebhepetra Mentuhotep II, regarded as the founder of the Middle Kingdom. Some hundrets of meters to the south is another (unfinished) burial complex from the 11th / 12th (?) Dynasty (in the map signed with "D"):

Lutz
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz. That's a great map! Can you tell me where you got that? Also, is it accurately drawn to scale?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naunacht wrote:
Hi Lutz. That's a great map! Can you tell me where you got that? Also, is it accurately drawn to scale?

This is an excerpt from a map of the Theban necropolis, her title is "Die Nekropole Theben-West". The map is about 90 x 60 cm and was created in 1972 by Gerhard R. Hauptmann on the basis of the "Topographical Bibliography of Ancient Egypt" by B. Porter and R. L. B. Moss. As far as I know it is to buy only in the museum shop of Berlin's Egyptian Museum, for 10, - Euro. I think it is more or less drawn in scale.

If I'm around in Luxor I always have a copy folded up in my backpack. Since it is not only practical but also decorative another hangs over my desk, right behind me. Cool

Greetings, Lutz.
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Naunacht wrote:

This is an excerpt from a map of the Theban necropolis, her title is "Die Nekropole Theben-West". The map is about 90 x 60 cm and was created in 1972 by Gerhard R. Hauptmann on the basis of the "Topographical Bibliography of Ancient Egypt" by B. Porter and R. L. B. Moss. As far as I know it is to buy only in the museum shop of Berlin's Egyptian Museum, for 10, - Euro. I think it is more or less drawn in scale.

If I'm around in Luxor I always have a copy folded up in my backpack. Since it is not only practical but also decorative another hangs over my desk, right behind me. Cool

Greetings, Lutz.

Thanks. It's a really nice map.
Delaja
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Khufu Reply with quote

I think the most underestimated pharao is Khufu.
First Pyramid with hieroglyphs in its highest part: Khufu, meaning: high/great.

I think drunkards of Khufu should be translated as Osiris-Khufu.
Lazarus is Osiris, right?
lpicker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Narmer Reply with quote

My vote for the most underestimated Pharaoh (actually known as Kings at that time) would have to be Narmer (aka Menes most probably). This is the man who united Upper and Lower Egypt under one rule, creating the First Dynasty.

I may be biased due to mt trilogy about the First Dynasty, but I do think a solid argument can be made over his contributions. He was also revered by all subsequent dynasties. In fact, he was so revered, for many generations Egyptologists thought he was mythical.

Les
jarga10
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Narmer Reply with quote

lpicker wrote:
My vote for the most underestimated Pharaoh (actually known as Kings at that time) would have to be Narmer (aka Menes most probably). This is the man who united Upper and Lower Egypt under one rule, creating the First Dynasty.

I may be biased due to mt trilogy about the First Dynasty, but I do think a solid argument can be made over his contributions. He was also revered by all subsequent dynasties. In fact, he was so revered, for many generations Egyptologists thought he was mythical.

Les

hey lester just finished the first pharaoh audiobook! loved it i recommend it to everyone! great job! look forward to the next audiobooks especially Qaa! any sneak peak Wink
lpicker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to report that Qa'a should be out this Fall. I finished it and have nursed it through two drafts so far. It's so exciting to be immersed in that time period between the First and Second Dynasties.

If you haven't done so yet, please try The First Pharaoh and The Dagger of Isis, so that you are prepared for Qa'a when it arrives!

http://www.amazon.com/Lester-Picker/e/B009E6U9R0/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1357444582&sr=1-2-ent

Thanks for all your support!

Les
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!
lpicker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Upcoming Novel Reply with quote

Thanks, Robson!
jarga10
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Upcoming Novel Reply with quote

lpicker wrote:
Thanks, Robson!

Congrats! Lester when is it out on audio? and what are your next books?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: