Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

most underestimated pharaoh
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahmose I. Without him there might not have even been a New Kingdom.
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:

You tend to forget about his brother, Kamose, who was equally as responsible for the beginning of the 18th Dynasty. As this website notes:

Two separate rock-inscriptions found at Arminna and Toshka, deep in Nubia, give the prenomen and nomen of Kamose and Ahmose side by side and were inscribed at the same time—likely by the same draughtsman—according to the epigraphic data. In both inscriptions "the names of Ahmose follow directly below those of Kamose and each king is given the epithet /di-anx/, Given Life, which was normally used only of ruling kings. This indicates that both Kamose and Ahmose were ruling when the inscription were cut and consequently that they were coregents. Since Kamose's name was recorded first, he would have been the senior coregent. However, no mention or reference to Ahmose as king appears in Kamose's Year 3 stela which indirectly records Kamose's first campaign against the Nubians; this can only mean that Kamose appointed the young Ahmose as his junior coregent sometime after his third year prior to launching a second military campaign against the Nubians. As a result, Kamose's second Nubian campaign must have occurred in his Year 4 or 5.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
Meritamon wrote:

You tend to forget about his brother, Kamose, who was equally as responsible for the beginning of the 18th Dynasty. As this website notes:

[i]Two separate rock-inscriptions found at Arminna and Toshka, deep in Nubia, give the prenomen and nomen of Kamose and Ahmose side by side and were inscribed at the same time—likely by the same draughtsman—according to the epigraphic data. In both inscriptions "the names of Ahmose follow directly below those of Kamose and each king is given the epithet /di-anx/, Given Life, which was normally used only of ruling kings. This indicates that both Kamose and Ahmose were ruling when the inscription were cut and consequently that they were coregents. ...

Arthur E. P. Weigall : A Report on the Antiquities of Lower Nubia (The First Cataract to the Sudanese Frontier) and Their Condition in 1906-7. - [A Photographic Reprint with Additions, Oxford, Printed at the University Press by Horace Hart, 1907 - Printed in Dar el-Maaref, 1978]. - XX, 142 p., 94, 7 pl., 3 maps, 2 col.pl.

Plate LXV, No.4:

Greetings, Lutz.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Knew I forgot somebody. I would say that whole period is a bit underrated.
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Second Intermediate periods is one of my favorites.

Re Kamose, my understanding is that it is not entirely certain that he was Ahmose's brother. He could equally well have been Seqenenre Tao's younger brother or perhaps even a non-royal general who became co-regent with the 'too young to rule' Ahmose rather in the way Hatshepsut would do two generations later. Given the evidence it seems to me more likely that he was a brother of Seqenenre Tao rather than a son.

This is speculation, but with the sudden, violent death of Seqenenre Tao throwing their kingdom into chaos, the Hyksos in the north and the Kushites in the south, Thebes badly needed a seasoned military man in charge. Ahmose must have been pretty young at his father's death because his mother acted as regent for him after Kamose's death at least three years later after Kamose's death. Since he acknowledged him in the inscription Lutz posted, Kamose must have supported Ahmose's ultimate right to rule. Presumably Ahotep the young king's mother would have gone along with the scheme--something that would be easier to do if Kamose was a close relative.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fascinating period, one of the reasons I like it so much is that the women played such an important role in the success of the family that went on to rule, culminating in Hatchepsut's rise to power.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general most anyone who isn't Tutankamun, Ramesses II, or Cleopatra VII.
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:

LOL Very Happy
Medjay Archer
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:

No Akhenaten?
Kmt is not a racial term nor a reference to the black silt deposited on the Nile valley, but an expression of "standing on place wherein food is plenty, allowing to stop moving like the neighbouring nomads". -Asar Imhotep
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medjay Archer wrote:
Meritamon wrote:

No Akhenaten?

Yes, him too. Four most commonly known Pharaohs. (I suppose.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: