Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ankhesenamun's digrace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frater0082
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Ankhesenamun's digrace Reply with quote

Could it be that Ankhesenamun was disgraced and replaced by Ay's wife Tey. Well I think so I think that Ay's marriage was strictly business(if you know what I mean) and nothing else I also think the whole Zannanza thing was enough to get her out of the throne( shouldn't Ankh have known never to bring someone from an enemy empire into the throne?)

Whatever became of Ankh is a mystery to me. I don't see the "off with her head" scenario being likely the case although I have been proven wrong before.
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasnt it the custom to let naughty royals commit suicide?
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

herper wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasnt it the custom to let naughty royals commit suicide?

Apparently if they committed high treason (such as Pentawer, the son of Ramses III who was involved in the assassination plot of the Harem Conspriacy: we have no evidence this was the case for Ankhsenamun.

Even if Ankhsenamun was the author of the "Egyptian Queen" correspondence, this does not mean that Ay was not aware of it (perhaps even encouraged it (as per Murnane's 1990 theory)). Even KUB XIX, 20, which is the Hittite king Suppiluliumas' reply to the new male king of Egypt, after the "Egyptian Queen" correspondence (and presumably Ay), the letter makes it clear that the king of Egypt did know about the correspondence, and was not presumably perturbed.

See on the KUB XIX, 20 letter and the "Egyptian Queen" correspondece to the Hittites:

Campbell, E. F. 1964. The Chronology of the Amarna Letters, with Special Reference to the Hypothetical Coregency of Amenophis III and Akhenaten. Baltimore: John Hopkins Press.

Edel, E. 1978. Ein neugefundenes Brieffragment der Witwe des Tutanchamun aus Boghazköy (Nova najdba dela pisma Tutanchamonove vdove iz Bogazkoja). Orientalistika 2: 33-35.

Giles, F. J. 2001. The Amarna Age: Egypt. Australian Centre for Egyptology: Studies 6. Warminster: Aris and Philips Ltd.

Giles, F. J., J. B. Hennessey, et al. 1997. The Amarna Age: Western Asia. Australian Centre for Egyptology: Studies 5. Warminster: Aris and Philips Ltd.

Güterbock, H. 1956. The Deeds of Suppiluliuma as Told by his Son, Mursili II. Journal of Cuneiform Studies 10: 41-68; 75-98; 107-130.

Murnane, W. J. 1990. The Road to Kadesh: A Historical Interpretation of the Battle Reliefs of King Sety I at Karnak. Studies in Ancient Oriental Civilizations. SAOC 42. Second Ed., Revised. Chicago: Oriental Institute.

van den Hout, T. 1993. De zaak Zannanza. Een Egyptisch-Hettitisch Brievendossier. Phoenix 39/3: 159-167.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: