Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book of the dead images help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonathan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Book of the dead images help Reply with quote

Hi im hoping someone can help me with something. Im trying to find good colour quality images from chapters of the book of the dead, does anyone know where i can locate these of the web? So far i havent been able to find any decent quality images at all
Aset
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan,

I hope this links will help you:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/gavin.egypt/papyrus.htm

http://www.egyptologica.be/papyrus_ani/pa_index.htm
(Here you can find all 37 vigntettes of Papyrus of Ani, but it is in French) Sad

Aset
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cwru.edu/univlib/preserve/Etana/BUDGE.BOOKv1/BUDGE.BOOKv1intro1.pdf

T.
Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cheers for the responses so far and if anyone else has more links then i would be ever so grateful

Thanks
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British Museum has a great page:
http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compass/ixbin/goto?id=OBJ10

This page shows papyrus from the Book of the Dead of Nakht, from Thebes, Egypt, Late 18th Dynasty.
This one shows agricultural scenes.

There are also links to the Book of the Dead of Nebseny and Any plus some more background information.
Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin Wink
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psusennes III wrote:
Thanks Kevin Wink
No problem - I do try and tidy up broken links when I find them Smile
matt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone actually know the location of the egyption book of the dead?
Psusennes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Papyrus of Ani is in the British Museum, but I don't know where Hunefer's Papyrus is. . . .
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean by the question. There are multiple copies of the book of the dead.
The 3 I mentioned in an earlier are in the British Museum. There must be several museums that have copies from different time periods.

Quote:
Ani's papyrus was the best preserved with its beautiful images mostly intact, but there were many version of The Book of the Dead. The earliest were in the pyramids - known as the Pyramid Texts - such as those for Unas, Teti and Pepi I. Later on, there were versions written on papyrus and left in the tomb of the deceased. There were huge changes made over time, with only select spells being used or, later in Egyptian history, the more ritual parts of the text disappearing completely. There were also changes made that were influenced by whichever god had the most powerful priests at the time. Eventually manuscripts of these spells were pre-written and sold with spaces left for a name!

From a touregypt feature story
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budge wrote a very thorough translation of the Book of the Dead of Ani. The problem is, it is highly innaccurate. Budge was a scholar and a genius but he was writing in the late 19th century, before we really had a handle on hieroglyphs. In the last 50 years alone our understanding of ancient Egyptian has grown dramatically.

I myself would recommend the much more recent The Egyptian Book of the Dead: The Book of Going forth by Day, translation by Faulkner (Chronicle Books, 1998). It doesn't have a line-by-line transliteration like Budge's, but most people wouldn't require that in the first place. (Besides, it's much more fun to look at the glyphs and try to figure them out for yourself!) What Faulkner's version does have is a complete and stunning reproduction of Ani's Book of the Dead. It's page after page of beautiful color reproductions. At $20-some it's just a bit of an investment but well worth it. Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0811807673/qid=1102988662/sr=2-2/ref=pd_ka_b_2_2/102-9931235-1253721

We have three different Books of the Dead in our museum. One is a simple Late Period piece all in black ink, about 2500 years old. Another is a gorgeous version with bold colors that belonged to a temple chantress named Isty, and it's about 3000 years old. My favorite belonged to a priest of Amun named Khonsu-renpe--it's about 12 feet long, is done in black and muted (faded?) reds, and is about 3500 years old. I've spent countless hours just staring at it.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It doesn't have a line-by-line transliteration like Budge's, but most people wouldn't require that in the first place. (Besides, it's much more fun to look at the glyphs and try to figure them out for yourself!)

What if you can't read hieroglyphs? Confused I can't, and it takes ages to learn, and I don't have the time to do that these days....
Psusennes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cant read hieroglyphs then the Faulkner book is much, much better. The images are pretty and the translation is far more accurate. I have both books, so I can follow the glyphs on the actual text and have a line-by-line translation just in case I get stuck (which, as you can guess, happens veru often!).
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psusennes is correct. Faulkner's book is much more up-to-date and reliable. I do wish someone in modern times would do what Budge did and provided a line by line transliteration and translation, just as I wish someone in modern times would publish so thorough a dictionary as Budge did long ago. But as Psusennes pointed out, the color images in Faulkner's version are beautiful, and the translation is there. You just don't get the transliteration as in Budge's outdated text, but most people would have no use for that, anyway (only us geeks who have nothing better to do!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: