Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Pharaohs: Hatshepsut and Tuthmose III - Philip R. Clark

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Two Pharaohs: Hatshepsut and Tuthmose III - Philip R. Clark Reply with quote

I'm looking for books and articles on Hatshepsut's reign and came across the following book called, Two Pharaohs. It's about Hatshepsut and Tuthmose III. Does anyone know if it's any good, as I've never heard of it before?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Pharoahs-Hatshepsut-Tuthmose-III/dp/1434344207/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349208557&sr=1-9

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that any book that misspells "Pharaoh" on the cover immediately puts me on my guard. Laughing (Typos are one thing... when it makes it to the cover of a book, that's something else!)
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'pharaoh' and 'pharoah' seem to be used in different countries. much like british and australian english utilise an 's' in some spellings for words, whereas the americans would use a 'z'.
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm pretty sure it's a misspelling. Not the only one, either, apparently; from the "Look Inside" feature, on page viii: "However, little has been written outside of scholarily [sic] and historical treatises regarding one of Cleopatra's predecessors..."

And a little farther down, the author apparently has a disclaimer for all nonfactual items appearing in his work: "So reader please bear with me as I am not an Egyptologist, only a lay person who will, in part, concoct a story derived from the mix of information available through multiple sources that I was able to use. If for any reason one of the expert Egyptologist [sic] take issue with what I have written, I will tell him that this is a novel, some or all of which may, just be true." [Punctuation as in the original.] Handy, that; if caught in an untruth, it's because it's a novel. Laughing

The book appears to be self-published as well (by AuthorHouse). A number of red flags going up for me...
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Thank you for pointing that out, Montuhotep88! I hadn't noticed the spelling mistake, and had yet to read anything from it! Shocked Yes, I really think I might pass on this book, as it doesn't look to be well written or factual at all. Sad

Okay, so now I'm back to square one on books about Hatshepsut. I've found three, but perhaps I should add one or two general books on pharaohs to the mix to give me more information on her...
Idea

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you've read Dr. Joyce Tyldesley's Hatchepsut...

There's Catherine H. Roehrig's Hatshepsut: From Queen to Pharaoh, a catalog of an exhibition (but a really good one).

Those are the only two I'm familiar with that focus solely on Hatshepsut; naturally, a lot of the "Women in Ancient Egypt" sub-genre books spend some time on her.

(For some reason, I thought there were more about her... but it seems that, in the lay press at any rate, there are more children's books about Hatshepsut than there are adult ones (other than fictional treatments). Curious.)
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the web page by Dr. Karl Leser (Iufaa) you can find also a very extensive bibliography: "Maat-ka-Ra Hatschepsut" . Go on "Literature" on the left and scroll down, the list is organized by subjects and people.

Greetings, Lutz.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Montuhotep88
Yeah, those two books I've ordered from Amazon, plus one on women in AE by gay Robins. I honestly thought there was a lot of books on Hatshepsut, too.
Wink

@Lutz
Thank you so much! That's a great help! Very Happy

EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently finished reading both books Hatchepsut by Joyce and Women in Ancient Egypt by gay Robins. Both are a interesting and easy read, so you have done well in selecting your books Daughter_Of_SETI Smile Now I am currently reading a book on Tutankhamun by Zahi Hawass which isn't a bad read either and next will Tausret: The forgotten queen Smile
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two standard references to the period are Dorman's "Tombs of Senenmut" and "Monuments of Senenmut". These are very expensive but you may be able to get them on interlibrary loan from your library.

If you can read French "Hatshepsout, La Reine Mysterious" by Christiane Desrouches Noblecourt is comprehensive and contains many good pictures that I haven't seen other places. (I may have murdered the spelling of the title).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: