Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

75 secret names of RA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mvpapaioannou
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: 75 secret names of RA Reply with quote

Apparently RA had 75 secret names, which were recorded on Sety's tomb - could not find however any literature on this. Anyone knows where I could look for to find these 75 secret names?

Thanks
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you mean the so-called "Litany of Ra" ("The Book of Worship of Ra in the West"). In 75 invocations are the 74 figures of the sun god ("neb cheperu - Lord of the Metamorphoses") during his journey through the 12 hours of the night enumerated.

The oldest version in the Valley of the Kings is found in KV 34 - Thutmose III. Here it has been mounted on the pillars of the tomb chamber. The vezir of this king, Useramun, enjoyed the for the NK unique privilege to use the royal texts "Amduat" and "Litany of Ra" as a decoration in his burial chamber in TT 61. In contrast to the king, he however is not a passenger of the bark in the "Amduat" and not filed his name in the "Litany". Amenhotep II donated a shroud for his father. On this, we will also find a full listing of this text.

Starting with Sethy I it is the mandatory decoration for the entrance corridors of the tombs in the Valley. It follows here now the picture of the Pharaoh, acolytes before the sun god in his form as Ra-Horakhty (where he probably recites the text of the Litanay).

The basic edition and translation of the text is

HORNUNG, Erik:

Das Buch der Anbetung des Re im Westen (Sonnenlitanei) - Nach den Versionen des Neuen Reiches - Teil I: Text. - Genève : Éditions de Belles Lettres, 1975. - XIV + 274 p. - Ægyptiaca Helvetica 2.
AEB 75.0347 wrote:
Except for an introduction concerning the history of the publication (originally planned together with the late Alexandre Piankoff) and a few technical remarks to the text edition the volume - appearing exactly a century after Naville's first edition "Litanie du Soleil" - consists of 274 pages handwritten hieroglyphic texts.

The various versions are presented in parallel vertical columns. They are derived from nine royal tombs, the tomb of the vizier Useramon (T.T. 61), which contains the oldest version, the shroud of Tuthmosis III (Cairo CG 40001) and the Smaller Temple of Ramses II at Abydos. The transcription, although not claiming palaeographical exactitude, is carefully checked with the originals. In some instances traces of colour gave indication as to the original signs now lost.

After the text the captions to the two scenes are given on p. 266-274.

Translation and comments have appeared as No. 3 of the series in 1976.

Das Buch der Anbetung des Re im Westen (Sonnenlitanei) - Nach den Versionen des Neuen Reiches - Teil II: Übersetzung und Kommentar. - Genève : Éditions de Belles-Lettres, 1976. - 164 p., 6 fig. - Ægyptiaca Helvetica 3.
AEB 76.0386 wrote:
In the first chapter of this volume the sources already mentioned in part one are described. Of each the place of the text, its particularities and earlier publications, if available, are dealt with. At the end remarks to late versions here not included.

Chapter 2 discusses the inner organization of the text, which is difficult to recognize. A scheme is presented on p. 25. It mainly consists of three parts: the adoration of the Sun-God as Re in his various forms; the dead and his identification with Re, ending with an equilization of Re and Osiris; and the dead in the Netherworld and his identification with Osiris. On p. 23 the author states that the text probably dates from the early XVIIIth Dynasty and was composed for the king.

Chapter 3 is devoted to the illustrations: the frontispiece (occurring from Sethi I onwards) with in the middle a flattened sun-disk (see fig. on p. 55); the 74 figures of the "major" litany, depicted separately from the text and arranged in two rows (fig. p. 56-59, names in hieroglyphs and translation p. 37-49); and the Re-Osiris figure occurring in the tomb of Nefertari (fig. p. 60).

The main part of the volume contains a complete translation (p. 61-96) followed by a commentary of 610 notes.

Addenda and corrigenda to Vol. I on p. 155. Tables of concordances with the editions of Naville, BA 14574, and Piankoff on p. 156-157. Indexes on p. 157-164.

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgotten ... If I remember correctly the text was also on the underside of the lid of the fantastic sarcophagus made from translucent alabaster for Sethy I from KV 17 (today in London, Sloan-Museum).

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An English edition of the text...

PIANKOFF, Alexandre : The Litany of Re - Texts Translated with Commentary. - New York : Bollingen Foundation, 1964. - XVI + 182 p., 2 fig., 85 ill., 23 on 21 pl. - [Bollingen Series XL. Volume 4 - Egyptian Religious Texts and Representations Prepared under the Supervision of Alexandre Piankoff].

AEB 64.0389 wrote:
This book offers the complete photographic recording of the reconstructed text of the composition commonly known as La litanie du soleil.

The Great Litany is reproduced on pl. 1-21 after the shroud of Tuthmosis III in the Cairo Museum (first publication; see AEB 49.1023) and the tombs of Sethi I, Merenptah, Sethi II, Ramses III and Montuemhat. Part I presents a translation preceded by an Introduction and a treatise on the god in the Litany, and followed by parallels to the work. Eight papyri in Part II also contain "Forms" of Re or similar representations. They belong to the Cairo Museum (J. E- 34023, 34033; new Nos. 952, 979), British Museum, London (10007, 10011), Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York (30.3.32; Dyn. XXI) and the Bibliothèque Nationale, Paris (158-161). All are reproduced and translated.

Two indexes conclude the edition.

Rev. JARCE 5 (1966), 133-134 (Hans Goedicke).

Here an example from the text...

from HORNUNG, Erik : Die Unterweltsbücher der Ägypter - Eingeleitet, übersetzt und erläutert. - Zürich, München : Artemis Verlag, 2002. - pp. 483 - 484.

Greetings, Lutz.
mvpapaioannou
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lutz this is very useful. I think that it would also be very interesting to also look into this and the 72 names of god according to the Kabbalah.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvpapaioannou wrote:
... I think that it would also be very interesting to also look into this and the 72 names of god according to the Kabbalah.

I do not think the one with the other is in some way related. At least I have so far no evidence in this regard seen in the literature.

The idea of the secret names of gods appeared well on in almost every religion and is ultimately probably not more than an attempt, the (at the moment) inconceivable to dominate.

Lutz
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any evidence if these invocations existed prior to the New Kingdom?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Writings of the Hidden Chamber which is in the Underworld" (Amduat) and "The Book of Worship of Ra in the West" (Litany of Ra) are compositions from the New Kingdom, made for the royal burial.

Stephen Quirke (for example in his fantastic work "The Cult of Ra", 2001) mentions the investigations by Jan Assmann about the solar hymns of the New Kingdom, specifically his work "Der König als Sonnenpriester" ("The King as Sun Priest", 1970).
Of the 7 by Assmann identified texts on different monuments are 4 to date to the early 18th Dynasty. They seem to be based on ritual texts from the Middle Kingdom and probably come from the same ritual text corpus, the authors of the Amduat and the Litany of Ra may have used. Unfortunately, these texts are not known, or only very rudimentary obtained.

Greetings, Lutz.
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Lutz Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: