Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tomb of princess discovered, new pharaoh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: tomb of princess discovered, new pharaoh Reply with quote

the tomb of the 5th dynasty princess shert nebti was discovered at abu sir, near the step pyramid. hers was surrounded by 4 high officials. inscriptions from the tomb name her father as pharaoh men salbo, an unkown king!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2012/11/03/pharaonic-princesss-tomb/1678967/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-03/princess-tomb-unearthed-in-egypt/4351100
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: tomb of princess discovered, new pharaoh Reply with quote

kylejustin wrote:
the tomb of the 5th dynasty princess shert nebti was discovered at abu sir ... inscribtions from the tomb name her father as pharaoh men salbo, an unkown king! ...

Be careful with the messages from the SCA in Egypt, because unfortunately there is often quite rubbish. A check is always wise.

EEF, 03.11.2012 wrote:
"... The pillars "have hieroglyphic inscriptions giving the princess's name and her titles, which include 'the daughter of the king Men Salbo and his lover venerated before God the all-powerful," [sic; in the Czech reports this autotranslates as "daughter of the King of his own blood, his friend, respectful to the powerful God", in the Spanish reports as "the King's daughter, his beloved, the blessed before the great God" AKE] ..."

Obviously, the title sequence of the Princess was mistranslated by the Egyptians. Maybe its my bad English, but is the Egyptian saying that she was "... the daughter of the King and his lover ..."? Something like that would be, at least from a biological perspective, really new. Apart from it, hence the formulation: "before God the all-powerful". Sounds like taken from a speach of an Imam in a mosche ... The Muslim Brotherhood send their love? Here is the news from the Czech press, the homeland of the excavators, quoted also from EEF:

Quote:
"... The princess is called "Sert Nepti" [Sheret-Nebti], and is said to be "previously unknown, and most likely belonged to the family of one of the Kings of the 5th dynasty". The tomb complex is located in the southern part of the necropolis. Of the four tombs of senior officials found, two have been explored, of a chief justice and of a palace staff supervisor, who likely date to the reign of Djedkare Isesi. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had at first suspected it may have been a hoax, but since all of the major newsites had the information, i think the facts are right, bar the rendition of the names. i have no idea why they said the king's name even whent hey don't appear to know it.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylejustin wrote:
... i have no idea why they said the king's name even whent hey don't appear to know it.

In some cases it is simply the translation of the announcement from the Supreme Council of Antiquities in Egypt, published in Arabic . Here for example, if the translating journalist has no idea of ​​Old-Egyptian title sequences.

Greetings, Lutz.
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly sounds exciting. I hope they get their stories straight soon. Could the fact the princess is surrounded by officials mean she was married into an official family and buried amongst her in-laws?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no. This form and kind of buried close together members of the royal family and high officials seems to be a sign of the time and / or this special tomb field at North Abusir. It was found by the Czech in the 1970-th. Another example in the same kind would be the tomb of Princess Chekeretnebty. It is also sourrounded by other family members but also some officials with not known direct kinship relationship to the royal family.

Greetings, Lutz.
Harsomtis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the posts
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A report with some pictures...

5th Dynasty Princess’ tomb discovered in Abu Sir - Luxor Times, Saturday, 3 November 2012

And some literature on-line from the work of the mission of the Czech in Abusir...

Electronic Publications of the Czech Institute of Egyptology

Among them without a doubt a highlight and special recommended...

Miroslav Verner : Forgotten Pharaohs, Lost Pyramids - Abusir (1994)

(No idea why, in the "Preview" of this post the link adress appears with "***" and the links not work. If it is also in the "Submit" form of this post, just replace the 3 stars in your browser address line with "c-u-n-i.c-z", without the four signs "-", just the letters and the one point.)

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I had suspected, it was a translation problem:

Vyvyan Pinches, EEF, 06.11.2012 wrote:
"... If you translate "of his body" (nt Xt=f) into Arabic you would get min sulbuh (the underscoring indicates that the s is an emphatic). So what seems to have happened is that the quite straightforward inscription on the column seems to have been filtered via Arabic ... by someone whose knowledge of Arabic was imperfect. ..."

In the meantime, the press statement of the Czech team around Miroslav Barta has been released, with some extra photos:

Ground breaking discoveries in Abusir South, 6.11.2012

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: