Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Published Book of the Dead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackmannn
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Best Published Book of the Dead Reply with quote

Hello,
What would you guys recommend as being the best published egyptian book of the Dead I can buy online? I wanted to find one with pictures with all of the inscriptions along with their translation, but there are so many options!
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Faulkner's translation...

This looks like it might be what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Egyptian-Book-Dead-Integrated/dp/0811864898/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1352148690&sr=8-4&keywords=raymond+o.+faulkner
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another Faulkner translation I've read that's called the Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead . You can see it here: https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Egyptian-Book-Raymond-Faulkner/dp/0760773092/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481765892&sr=8-1&keywords=raymond+o.+faulkner+book+of+the+dead

I don't know what the difference is between the two versions, sounds like different texts, from different coffins and/or papyri.

From what I heard Budge isn't a good translation, his version of the the Book of the Dead isn't too great because of that. They say it is an outdated translation.

Hope this helps.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
There's another Faulkner translation I've read that's called the Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead . You can see it here: https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Egyptian-Book-Raymond-Faulkner/dp/0760773092/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481765892&sr=8-1&keywords=raymond+o.+faulkner+book+of+the+dead

I don't know what the difference is between the two versions, sounds like different texts, from different coffins and/or papyri.

This is simply a rebound version of one of Faulkner's original translations of the Book of Coming Forth by Day (Ani Papyrus) [aka "Book of the Dead"]. For those in Egyptology, there were 2 versions from Faulkner - the "blue book" (1985) and the "brown book" (1994). The "brown book" was more for popular reading, but had lovely reproductions from pAni, while the "blue book" version was more for scholarly use.

There are also other works on the Book of Coming Forth by Day which may be of interest:

Allen, T. G. and E. B. Hauser. 1974. The Book of the Dead or Going Forth by Day: Ideas of the Ancient Egyptians Concerning the Hereafter as Expressed in Their Own Terms. Studies in Ancient Oriental Civilization. SAOC 37. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Hornung, E. 1997. Das Totenbuch der Ägypter. Eingeleitet, Übersetzt und Erläutert. Düsseldorf/Zürich: Artemis and Winkler Verlag.

For those of you who want to translate the various versions on record from hieroglyphs for yourself, I suggest:

Naville, E. 1971 (1886). Das Ägyptische Totenbuch der XVIII. bis XX. Dynasty. 3 Vols. Graz (Austria): Akademische Druck-u. Verlagsanstalt.

NB: this work is extremely hard to find these days. I don't know if it's been digitized.

dzama923 wrote:
From what I heard Budge isn't a good translation, his version of the the Book of the Dead isn't too great because of that. They say it is an outdated translation.

Any Budge translation is always suspect, mainly because he didn't actually translate glyphs accurately, and his glyphs used were outdated even during his lifetime.

However, if you find a version of Budge's work with the hieroglyph transcription, it's worth a look, as he did often transcribe some texts which are no longer available. In this case, I am referring to such a work here:

Budge, E. A. W. 1899. The Book of the Dead: Facsimiles of the Papyri of Hunefer, Anhai, Kerasher and Netchemet, with Supplementary Texts from the Papyrus of Nu. London: British Museum.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The books, Neseret mentioned, are online :

Allen, T. G. and E. B. Hauser. 1974. The Book of the Dead or Going Forth by Day: Ideas of the Ancient Egyptians Concerning the Hereafter as Expressed in Their Own Terms. Studies in Ancient Oriental Civilization. SAOC 37. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Naville, E. 1971 (1886). Das Ägyptische Totenbuch der XVIII. bis XX. Dynasty. 3 Vols. Graz (Austria): Akademische Druck-u. Verlagsanstalt.

Budge, E. A. W. 1899. The Book of the Dead: Facsimiles of the Papyri of Hunefer, Anhai, Kerasher and Netchemet, with Supplementary Texts from the Papyrus of Nu. London: British Museum.

Hornung, E. 1997. Das Totenbuch der Ägypter. Eingeleitet, Übersetzt und Erläutert. Düsseldorf/Zürich: Artemis and Winkler Verlag, you can buy used, starting at 8,- / 9,- €.

The most up-to-date and comprehensive scientific work at the moment is, in my view ...

Stephen Quirke : Going out in daylight - prt m hrw : The Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead - Translation, Sources, Meaning. - [GHP Egyptology 20]. - London : Golden House Publications, 2013. - ISBN : 9781906137311; 1906137315. - 609 p.

Surely at first written for a professional audience, the author's writing style also allows the interested layman a fast access.

Greetings, Lutz.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neseret I have a question. The edition of Faulkner's Book of the Dead that I have linked above in my previous post, would that be considered the brown book, or the blue book, or neither? Thanks for your help.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
Neseret I have a question. The edition of Faulkner's Book of the Dead that I have linked above in my previous post, would that be considered the brown book, or the blue book, or neither? Thanks for your help.

Actually, it's neither: It's a version using Faulkner's translation, but has been reformatted by Barnes and Noble, and now has a foreword by James Allen. My guess is that it's a revision of the "brown book," which was published by Chronicle Books in the 1990's, but that's just a guess.

The "blue book", or more scholarly version, was published by the University of Texas in 1985. It's available here.

Here's the same work in its original 'blue cover' format, and is much pricier.

I can't explain why Amazon shows it as being published by Macmillan Company, as I have it and it is published by the University of Texas.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:

Actually, this only a copy of the Einleitung (Vol. III) and not the Text and Varianten, which make up Vols. I and II. To date, I don't believe they have been digitized, and it's the glyphs you really want.

Lutz wrote:
The most up-to-date and comprehensive scientific work at the moment is, in my view ...

Stephen Quirke : Going out in daylight - prt m hrw : The Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead - Translation, Sources, Meaning. - [GHP Egyptology 20]. - London : Golden House Publications, 2013. - ISBN : 9781906137311; 1906137315. - 609 p.

Surely at first written for a professional audience, the author's writing style also allows the interested layman a fast access.

Thanks for this: I had heard that Dr. Quirke was working on this, but I hadn't realised it had been published (and quite awhile ago, I see!). Sadly, it's out of my price range at the moment.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
Lutz wrote:

Actually, this only a copy of the Einleitung (Vol. III) and not the Text and Varianten, which make up Vols. I and II. To date, I don't believe they have been digitized, and it's the glyphs you really want.

You're right, I & II are not available. Only from Yare Egyptology. But what about ... P. Le Page Renouf / Edouard Naville : The Egyptian Book of the dead (1904) ?

neseret wrote:
Lutz wrote:

Thanks for this: I had heard that Dr. Quirke was working on this, but I hadn't realised it had been published (and quite awhile ago, I see!). Sadly, it's out of my price range at the moment.

During a holliday I was once, in his order, on "information & foto safari" on the way in Egypt ... As thank you, I will get this Christmas a deficiency copy (little water stains) from the publishing house. I have to pay only the shipping costs from London. Cool

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
neseret wrote:
Lutz wrote:

You're right, I & II are not available. Only from Yare Egyptology. But what about ... P. Le Page Renouf / Edouard Naville : The Egyptian Book of the dead (1904) ?

It appears to be Renouf's interpretation of various vignettes and (non-published) texts in English. I cannot give an opinion on their accuracy (I just glossed over it), but I'm sure, based upon the scholarship of say, Quirke, it's probably outdated.

However, not a bad copy to have on hand if you like collecting interpretations of the Book of Coming Forth by Day, as I do, and at 544 pages, it seems fairly comprehensive. An interesting collaboration by historical giants in the field of Egyptology as well. Again, thank you for the link.

Lutz wrote:
neseret wrote:
Lutz wrote:

During a holliday I was once, in his order, on "information & foto safari" on the way in Egypt ... As thank you, I will get this Christmas a deficiency copy (little water stains) from the publishing house. I have to pay only the shipping costs from London. Cool

You are one lucky fellow: it will be some time before I can order Quirke's work as I spent my allotment for books on this:

PUSCH, Edgar, B. Das Senet-Brettspiel im Alten Ägypten. Teil 1. Das inschriftliche und archäologische Material. I. Text; II. Plates. (Münchner Ägyptologische Studien, 3Cool. [TWO VOLUMES]. München, Berlin, Deutscher Kunstverlag, 1979.

Two volumes. Quarto. I. Text: Pp. viii, 421; II. Plates: 106 plates. Original stiff wrappers. In a very good condition, fine interiors, crisp plates. ~ First edition. Münchner Ägyptologische Studien, 38. Pusch’s Doctoral Dissertation was first submitted in 1975 to the Faculty of Philosophy at the University of Bonn.

It was an early Christmas gift to myself. Very Happy

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it seems that the books by Raymond O Faulkner all translate different portions of the papyri of Ani, revised and compiled differently as it has been published through the years. I wonder if those books in German you just mentioned above are they also the Papyri of Ani or some other text? [/i]
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naville mentions and describes in detail all sources he used (including the museum number, private collection, etc.) in "III. Kapitel. Beschreibung der Texte . . . 47 [- 112]" of Volume III. It is the book you can download...
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I download that book? Naville "III. Kapitel. Beschreibung der Texte . . . 47
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ähhmmm ... I gave the link in my first post here in this thread Exclamation Question Exclamation
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently taken note of a change made in the versions of the black edition of The Book of the Dead by Raymond O'Faulkner. There seems to be a big difference in the translation of spells between the two published versions. One copy I had bought from Barnes and Noble in the 2008, the others I bought second hand and they are different in rendering, size, and paintings of papyrus' therein. I thought it was notable and worth sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: