Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A hairy question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: A hairy question Reply with quote

I know I asked before about hair and wigs, but I just want to ask a few more questions:

1) Did all egyptians shave their heads? I know that the priesthood and royalty did, and everyone shaved body and facial hair (I think everyone did though I have seen moustaches on some statues), but I'm sure the commoners kept their own hair on their heads-I think the men kept it short but women grew it long.

2) Where did the human hair for making posh wigs come from? Did people sell hair (that's what I read in a book) or something? That is why I think not all Egyptians shaved their heads and that some people grew it long-that hair had to come from somewhere!

3) Did Egyptians wax? lol I saw this claim on a messageboard somewhere, that Egyptians waxed off hair. But I'm not sure about this. I know they used razors though.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of the royal mummies have their own hair.
In the case of the mummy of the elder lady (possibly Queen Tiye), she has very long wavy hair.
Some women had wigs because their own hair was thinning.

A boy in the same tomb as the elder lady has his sidelock, so children were partially shaved.

They say that "sugaring" comes from the egyptians. That's really the same principal as waxing, but using a sticky sugar substance instead.
I'm not sure if it's true or just a marketing ploy.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that, but I'm sceptical-mainly because the Egyptians didn't have sugar. But I've heard in the new kingdom, some unrefined sugar was imported from India by traders, and it was incredibly expensive, and therefore only used by the richest nobles and royalty as a sweetener. They wouldn't have wasted that precious stuff on their hairy bits. Laughing and honey's too soft to be used for waxing.

I have seen a hairy mummy...you may remember me mentioning a scalp from a mummy I saw, with curly (and blondish!!!) hair, and attached to it was a black wig braid, to show that the person would have worn wigs (or extensions) over her real hair.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honey crystalizes into a pretty hard substance though...

Don't know if they would have used it. You're right that may have been too expensive.
Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By coinsidence I read a book yesterday which wrote a little part about the hair: (forgive me the poor translation)

[quote="The woman in the empire of the pharaohs]The hairdress was, generaly speaking both for men as for women owrn very short. In despictions of festivities and in scenes related to the after-life, a wig was worn over the natural hair. The wig takes the person who wares it away from the reality of the every-days-life, makes him more beautiful, and brings him with special occassions, in the right mood[/quote]

This book is a sort of catalog from an expo in the Royal Musea for Art and History in Brussels (30/11/1985 - 28/02/1986)

Furthermore, for the mummies found with hair, couldn't it be possible that the hair grew after these people died? :rr:
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, where did you get that from? Hair doesn't grow on dead people Laughing

And even so, I saw a mummy on TV that has long hair, past shoulder length. Maybe that was the Tiye mummy?
Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right! They do not actually grow but nails and hair appear to become longer because the skins shrinks. So hidden parts of hair and nails become visible as well.

Indeed if it was really long hair it would have probably already been long when that person died.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lady would have had a really big head for it to shrink and reveal this much hair Very Happy

There are more mummies to be viewed here:
http://anubis4_2000.tripod.com/mummypages1/Early18.htm

Some women seem to wear wigs if they were balding, but for instance Lady Rai had her own (rather abundant and intricately done) hair.
She's further down the page in the link I gave you.
Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would would have been indeed be a lot of hidden hair Shocked
looks known to me that girl didn't I see her in previous posts before? Rolling Eyes Great pictures on the site btw never seen them before.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the mummy I was talking about. And some of them are royalty, it seems, so even the rich people kept their hair.

But where did wig hair come from? Did people sell it? i read that some hair was imported...

I also read that another method of hair removal was plucking, and that the rich had gold tweezers-not just for brows, but for plucking heads, arms and legs too...that requires both patience and extreme pain tolerance...

And another thing-I know that priests removed hair all over, but does this include eyebrows and lashes? (I would hate to have my eyelashes plucked out-ooouch!)
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Her hair matches a lock of hair found in Tut's tomb.
She's often identified as Tiye (not 100% certain).
Others have conjectured that this is Nefertiti (Not 100% convincing either).

And I have referred to her mummy before. Very Happy
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the controversial Nefertiti documentary, and that mummy of Tiye was not the one they identified as 'Nefertiti', but the one lying next to her.

She has hair a bit like mine Laughing not that i look like a mummy, don't worry...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
I saw the controversial Nefertiti documentary, and that mummy of Tiye was not the one they identified as 'Nefertiti', but the one lying next to her.

There's an article in the KMT journal where Dr Susan James compared this mummy to the known portraits of Nefertiti and shows that there is a remarkable likeness. There's one photograph where they combine one side of the mummies face with the other side of the famous berlin bust. It's a very cool picture!

isisinacrisis wrote:
She has hair a bit like mine Laughing not that i look like a mummy, don't worry...

Phew!
You would no doubt have looked very young for a 3300 year old person.... Laughing
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Tiye related to Nefertiti or something?

hehehe the first thing I thought when I saw that mummy page was 'I see dead people...' Laughing
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
Was Tiye related to Nefertiti or something?

We don't know for sure if they were related. There are some theories that Aye was Tiye's brother, and that Nefertiti was Aye's daughter.
So that would make Tiye Nefertiti's aunt.
There is no conclusive evidence to support that theory though.

Aye being Tiye's brother is deduced from the similarities in titles between Aye and Yuya (Tiye's father).
Aye being Nefertiti's father is based on him having the title "God's Father". This title is not well understood. Some think it means "father-in-law" to the King. Others don't believe this is true.

isisinacrisis wrote:
hehehe the first thing I thought when I saw that mummy page was 'I see dead people...' Laughing

You crack me up.. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: