Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Em hotep and Opet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Djhuty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Em hotep and Opet Reply with quote

Hello all,
This is my first post to your savagely interesting forum.

I am wondering if anyone can point me to any good books or articles on the Opet Festival. I have ordered Reliefs and Inscriptions at Luxor Temple, Volume 1: The Festival Procession of Opet in the Colonnade Hall but Oxbow Books, who seem to be the only supplier, have apparently been moving their warehouse for four months now and have been unable to supply it. I am interested in this festival in particular as I am building the Karnak temple, as at the time of Hatshepsut, in Second Life and am hoping to organise a group to perform this festival there. If you are interested you can see the temple at http://slurl.com/secondlife/Khem/13/48/1035 or here is a picture.

Senebty,

Djhuty
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Em hotep and Opet Reply with quote

Djhuty wrote:
... books or articles on the Opet Festival. I have ordered Reliefs and Inscriptions at Luxor Temple, Volume 1: The Festival Procession of Opet in the Colonnade Hall ...

Reliefs and Inscriptions at Luxor Temple, Volume 1: The Festival Procession of Opet in the Colonnade Hall. - Chicago : The Oriental Institute, 1994. - ISBN : 0-918986-94-X. - xxvi + 60 p. in booklet, 128 plates. - OIP 112.

The relief cycle in the Temple of Luxor describes the festival at the time of Tutankhamun. For the time of Hatshepsut / Thutmosis III see

Egypte - Louqsor temple du Kâ royal - Les rites de la fête d'Opet; l'architecture grandiose; les décors retrouvés. - Dossiers histoire et archéologie 101. - Fontaine-les-Dijon : Archéologia, 1986.

Vivienne Gae Callender : The innovations of Hatshepsut's reign. - In: Bulletin of the Australian Centre for Egyptology - BACE - 13. - North Ryde, New South Wales : Centre, 2002. - ISSN : 1035-7254. - pp. 29 - 46.

Lana Troy : Religion and Cult during the time of Thutmose III. - In: Thutmose III - A new biography. - Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, 2006. - ISBN : 0-472-11467-0. - pp. 123 - 182.

Wolfgang Waitkus : Untersuchungen zu Kult und Funktion des Luxortempels. - [Hamburg, Univ., Habil.-Schr., 2003]. - Aegyptiaca Hamburgensia - 2. - Gladbeck : PeWe-Verlag, 2008. - ISBN : 978-3-935012-02-7. - XIX, 342 p. (Vol. 1) ; VIII, 252 p. (Vol. 2).

See also Maat-ka-Ra Hatshepsut by Dr. Karl Leser (Iufaa), under "Monuments" ---> "Luxor-Temple" & "Red Chapel".

Greetings, Lutz.
Djhuty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Em hotep and Opet. Reply with quote

Thanks for those sources Lutz,
I am familiar with most of them, except those not in English, and the Australian one, which I will obtain. I do wish the gods would give me the gift of literacy in more languages so I could read the non English ones!

senebty

Djhuty
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this useful. I couldn't get on the site but I love the picture.

http://dlib.etc.ucla.edu/projects/Karnak/assets/media/resources/ProcessionalRoutesAndFestivals/guide.pdf
Djhuty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I am familiar with the Digital Karnak site, I used it as the source for structure of the temple as they have an excellent timeline that shows the development of the temple over time as a 3D model.

I'm thinking I should have mentioned the sources I had already looked at for Opet when asking for help, but there are just so many....

Thanks again

Djhuty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: