Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thera and the Exodus
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riaan
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Thera and the Exodus Reply with quote

Dear all,

I have been researching the link between the biblical Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt and the eruption of the volcano on ancient Thera, present-day Santorini, for many years and have now at last published a book on the topic, simply called Thera and the Exodus. I present a brief summary of what's inside here.

Several new theories about a range of topics associated with the Exodus are presented, most importantly who the role players were and what really happened at that time.

I would love to know what you think of it, good or bad. From what I have seen at this forum, the members seem to be very well informed about the history of ancient Egypt and should be able to either dispel or confirm my theories with ease.

Riaan Booysen
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thera and the Exodus Reply with quote

Riaan wrote:
... I would love to know what you think of it, good or bad. ...
One of the books that the world does not need. Pity about all the tree must die for it ... puke

Lutz
lpicker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Congrats Reply with quote

Riaan:

I offer you my congratulations regarding your book. I think fresh thinking and new perspectives are always welcomed, even if they stretch our thinking a bit. I would welcome you offering a synopsis of your theories, along with what various criticisms of it have been.

Best wishes,

Les
Riaan
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Congrats Reply with quote

lpicker wrote:
Riaan:

I offer you my congratulations regarding your book. I think fresh thinking and new perspectives are always welcomed, even if they stretch our thinking a bit. I would welcome you offering a synopsis of your theories, along with what various criticisms of it have been.

Best wishes,

Les

Hi Les,

Thanks for your support! You can read a chapter summary here, and a sort of a synopsis in the next section. I intend writing short articles about the most contentious parts of the book, to show that it entails far more than just wild speculation. I will post something here when it is ready.

Regards,
Riaan
Riaan
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thera and the Exodus Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Riaan wrote:
... I would love to know what you think of it, good or bad. ...
One of the books that the world does not need. Pity about all the tree must die for it ... puke

Lutz

I initially thought it "not needed" to respond to you message, but I must say I am somewhat intrigued - on what basis do you judge the book? I trust you at least to the trouble of having a look at the chapter summaries. Do you simply dismiss everything, without having read a word? Confused
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read what you've linked to. I basically take care to give no comments on things I do not know... And I see no reason to change my comment.

Lutz
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with such books per se, I have read some of these books and find them entertaining. But only entertaining, not informative or educational in any way. I read your chapter synopsys and see some names and concepts that will cause wry smiles on this forum. Ahmed Osman dabbles in fantasy. Ahkhenaten is not any person from the Bible. There is no record of Hebrews even existing at that time. And Thera eruption does not fit with time of Armarna by several hundred years. Prince Thutmose would be a very young Moses given there is a 50/50 chance it is his mummy laying between Queen Tye and Tutankhamun's mother in KV35. Don't be discouraged though, for world would be rather boring without all these ideas, but don't expect to find too many fans of such works here Smile
Riaan
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Articles from my book Reply with quote

11 March 2013 - For those interested, I added articles on selected topics from my book, listed below. I felt obliged to do so since several vaguely similar theories have been presented in the past, but were ultimately for good reasons rejected by scholars. Others are brand new, but probably controversial. I trust that the reader will realize that my theories are well researched and can be well defended. You can find them here:

The El Arish Shrine in Context

Nefertiti and the Queen of Sheba

The Identification of Moses as Crown Prince Tuthmosis

Proving That Thera Had Erupted Twice ...
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sleepy3 The same as the first time when you came here with your nonsense: puke

Lutz
Riaan
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Thera and the Exodus review plus questions Reply with quote

Dear all,

I have recently received a belated but for the first time a detailed and scientific review of my book - rated 3/4 here. The only negative criticism was that the book is a bit too academic in nature, but I never intended it to read like a novel. I'm sure members of forums like these do not object to reading academically inclined books.

I am often criticised that I based my conclusions on legends and myths that are pure fantasy. However, those who reject those legends never bother to come up with an explanation about how such legends could ever have come into existence, and how all could somehow paint the same picture. For instance, what was the origin of the legend the Jehova revealed himself to Moses in a burning bush? How do they explain the fact that Artapanus' description of Moses assisting his father during the burial ceremony of the first Apis bull is an almost verbatim description of Crown Prince Tuthmosis assisting his father Amenhotep III during the same burial ceremony? Are those academics who reject Osman's identification of Yuya as the biblical Joseph completely ignorant of the legend of Joseph and Asenath, which unequivocally links Joseph to Yuya and his daughter Tiye?

As a scientist my first inclination is always to trust science above anything else. However, regarding the dating of the eruption of Thera, I have since dug into the mathematics and discovered that there are some underlying assumptions in the process that would allow for a different time frame for the eruption. Somewhere something is amiss.

I pose some questions to academics and also people like my learned friend Lutz here. The easiest way to refute any challenge to the conventional wisdom is, of course, to ignore it. However, I have no doubt that when you dig deeper, you'll find that these 'debunkers' do not have all the answers themselves.

You be the judge.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends I'll find out myself. You are certainly not one of them, I would know of. And I never claimed to "have all the answers". However, I also do not invent any ... proof free.
Riaan
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
However, I also do not invent any ... proof free.

Artapanus: Moses' father created a cemetery where the first Apis bull was buried. Moses officiated as a priest during this ceremony.

Known history: Amenhotep III created a cemetery where the first Apis bull was buried. Crown prince Tuthmosis officiated as a priest during this ceremony.

What did I invent? Has nobody else noticed this?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riaan wrote:
Lutz wrote:
However, I also do not invent any ... proof free.

Artapanus: Moses' father created a cemetery where the first Apis bull was buried. Moses officiated as a priest during this ceremony.

Known history: Amenhotep III created a cemetery where the first Apis bull was buried. Crown prince Tuthmosis officiated as a priest during this ceremony.

What did I invent? Has nobody else noticed this?

For example, Moses? Because it is still true, no person or event from the "Five Books of Moses" are archaeologically verifiable. For the most important contained tales, legends and stories: there are older models, which was obviously written off...
Riaan
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:

For example, Moses?

I have to admit - this is an ingenious idea. Of course it has to be something like this - it could simply never be true. Not even taking into account the other evidence I point out.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, you have no evidence. If so, "Bible-Archaeologists" all over the world would clap standing acclaim and you would hike from talk show to talk show...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: