Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bodily Son of the Sun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SidneyF
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Bodily Son of the Sun Reply with quote

Does anyone happen to know how common this phrase "sA ra n XAt-f, mr=f" or "bodily son of the sun, beloved of him" was? Tutankhamun used it, below, but I can't now recall where else I have seen it. This is a separate issue from just plain "sA ra".

neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bodily Son of the Sun Reply with quote

SidneyF wrote:
Does anyone happen to know how common this phrase "sA ra n XAt-f, mr=f" or "bodily son of the sun, beloved of him" was? Tutankhamun used it, below, but I can't now recall where else I have seen it. This is a separate issue from just plain "sA ra".

Baude in the late 1990's, as well as Ward and Troy in the late 1980's, proposed that a title of a royal child that ended with /n XAt-f mr=f/,"of the [king's] own body, beloved/chosen by him" was a means of providing hierarchy amongst the royal children, such that a son or daughter with such a title was likely the eldest child of the lot, and took precedence among any other royal children.

However, this was not to mean that such a son, for example, was always the heir-prince, according to Ward, who cited a number of examples where sons with the /n XAt-f mr=f/ was not always the suceeding king.

References:

Baud, M. 1999. Famille royale et pouvir sous l'Ancien Empire égyptien. (2 Vols.) Bibliothèque d'Étude 126. Cairo: IFAO.

Troy, L. 1986. Patterns of Queenship: in ancient Egyptian myth and history. BOREAS 14. Uppsala: ACTA Universitatis Upsaliensis

Ward, W. A. 1986. Essays on Feminine Titles of the Middle Kingdom and Related Subjects. Beirut: American University of Beirut.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

SidneyF
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bodily Son of the Sun Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
Baude in the late 1990's, as well as Ward and Troy in the late 1980's, proposed that a title of a royal child that ended with /n XAt-f mr=f/,"of the [king's] own body, beloved/chosen by him" was a means of providing hierarchy amongst the royal children, such that a son or daughter with such a title was likely the eldest child of the lot, and took precedence among any other royal children.

You are clearly referring to the phrase "sA nsw n XAt=f mr=f" [of the king's own body] but that is not on the image I provided. What is there is "sA ra n XAt=f mr=f" and my question was about that--the claim to being the actual bodily son of the sun.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even just another German Egyptologist... Cool

Rainer Hannig : Ägyptisches Wörterbuch / 2 - Mittleres Reich und Zweite Zwischenzeit. - [Hannig-Lexica 5 - Kulturgeschichte der Antiken Welt 112]. - Mainz : von Zabern, 2006. - ISBN : 3-8053-3690-X ; 978-3-8053-3690-1. - LI, pp. 1 - 1616 (Vol. 1) ; pp. 1617 - 3274 (Vol. 2)

from page 2069 the supporting documents for the Middle Kingdom:

[img]http://www.aegyptologie.com/forum/attachments/archiv/Members/Lutz/Dok_2/sA_ra_n_XAt=f_Hannig_5_2006_2069.jpg[/img]

and from page 1971 from the Second Intermedate Period:

[img]http://www.aegyptologie.com/forum/attachments/archiv/Members/Lutz/Dok_2/sA_ra_n_XAt=f_Hannig_5_2006_1971.jpg[/img]

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 2069 the supporting documents for the Middle Kingdom

Page 1971 for the Second Intermedate Period

Greetings, Lutz.
SidneyF
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lutz. That's quite a lot!
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidneyF wrote:
... That's quite a lot!

And those are just the one from the Middle Kingdom.

Greetings, Lutz.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered why everyone transliterates the word for "bodily" as "XAt.f" instead of "Xt.f"?
The belly-sign F 32 is only a one-lit. sign denoting X or (as per Allen`s) ideogram in the word Xt.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sothis wrote:
... The belly-sign F 32 is only a one-lit. sign denoting X or (as per Allen`s) ideogram in the word Xt.

As you still say, the "udder and tail" sign (F32) is not only phonogram, it is also an ideogram. And I would say as such it is used herein that?

Greetings, Lutz.
SidneyF
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sothis wrote:
I wondered why everyone transliterates the word for "bodily" as "XAt.f" instead of "Xt.f"?
The belly-sign F 32 is only a one-lit. sign denoting X or (as per Allen`s) ideogram in the word Xt.

I think you're right. I think it's only M12 that's syllabic XA. My mistake.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Sothis wrote:
... The belly-sign F 32 is only a one-lit. sign denoting X or (as per Allen`s) ideogram in the word Xt.

As you still say, the "udder and tail" sign (F32) is not only phonogram, it is also an ideogram. And I would say as such it is used herein that?

Greetings, Lutz.

I am not sure if the following phonetic t-sign would allow for the interpretation as ideogram.
I was just curious because sometimes certain signs are read differently e.g. wsjr (Osiris) is now read by some Asjr.

But apparently F32 still has the phonetic value X.

Thanks anyway
Smile
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Sothis wrote:

Greetings, Lutz.

I am not sure if the following phonetic t-sign would allow for the interpretation as ideogram.
I was just curious because sometimes certain signs are read differently e.g. wsjr (Osiris) is now read by some Asjr.

But apparently F32 still has the phonetic value X.

Thanks anyway
Smile
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sothis wrote:
Lutz wrote:
Sothis wrote:

I am not sure if the following phonetic t-sign would allow for the interpretation as ideogram. ...

It is a phonetic complement, not mandatory but quite common. A well / better - known example you see in the name of the god Amun (waterline, "n", at the end).

Look at the picture in the first post in this thread with the titulary of Tutanchamun. You can see a small line to the left of the "t" sign, under the "udder and tail" sign (F32). This stroke - sign identifies the F32 - sign in the text for the reader as ideogram.

Sothis wrote:
... I was just curious because sometimes certain signs are read differently e.g. wsjr (Osiris) is now read by some Asjr. ...

I would not attach too much importance on that. As we know, it is not really known how the words sounded. The reason is probably simply different schools of thought of different scientists.

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgotten ... see for that

Mark Collier / Bill Manley : How to read Egyptian hieroglyphs - A step-by-step guide to teach yourself. - London : British Museum Press, 2008. - ISBN : 978-0-7141-1910-6. - ix, 179 p.,

page 17 - 18, "§13 Ideograms: sound-meaning signs".

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: