Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3D reconstructions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: 3D reconstructions Reply with quote

Just posting a link to a site I've found - in case some of you have'nt seen it before. This guy has done some very beautiful models of Temples etc. Well worth a look

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fgerard.homann.free.fr%2Fegypte.html&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&prev=%2Flanguage_tools
Confused Sorry about the long url - as you can see this goes to the English translated version of the site.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the images lead to broken links, but those are very pretty. And surprisingly colourful too.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the translations were achieved Laughing

"Bonds" instead of Links
Still not sure what "Press-Goat" would be.

"A small layer of self-satisfaction"? as the title of a page Very Happy

Anyway, nice page, great images (and some laughs for immature people like me)
Aktisanes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Site Reply with quote

Absolutly fantastic this site, finaly you can see how it all really looked like in those days.
A much prettier sight then the rubble we see nowadays of the temples.
We should give those guys a medal for all the time they spend on this project.
As I say absolutely fabulous work.

Jean
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small question. The reconstructions show the temples as being vividly painted. Is that how they really used to be? I used to think that they only showed Egyptian temples as being brightly coloured in themeparks and tacky places like Las Vegas Laughing fun as these places are, they aren't exactly historically accurate, are they!! Wink But I've heard somewhere that not only did the Egyptians paint their temples, they decorated the pictures with gold and jewels! Is that true?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they were decorated like that.
I found some quotes about the construction of temples a while ago:
http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=206

The translations by Breasted show that the temples were adorned with gold and silver.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember those, but floors of silver and stuff, sounds a bit like an exageration...maybe they did add some gold and jewelled touches, but entire floors?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was picturing gold and silver plated surfaces.
I think gold may be too soft to create solid floors from?
Gold inlay is another possibility.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's no wonder the temples have lost their sparkle-all that gold must have been plundered once the Egyptian civilisation faded away...shame really. It would be so cool if the temples still look as bright and colourful as those tombs they did-which I assume they did once. They had flags and banners as well, I think.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesen, this is a beautiful site and lots of fun. Thanks for sharing it. It gives us a splendid idea of what so many of the grand temples and edifices originally looked like. We modern folks get a skewed idea of the appearances of these structures because now they're all the color of stone--drab and dull. We know that's not the case, though. Close examination of temple inscriptions reveals the remains of paint, as does microscopic study. The same is true for tombs, and much of the paint survives in numerous tombs (e.g., Valley of the Kings and Valley of the Queens).

It's unlikely the Egyptians ever covered the walls and floors with gold, though in certain inscriptions gold gilding seems to have been used in certain spots. This was more common with royal and devine statuary and with monumental structures like obelisks. It's quite possible that the surfaces of shrines within a temple's holy-of-holies was covered with gilded gold, seeing as they were the "homes" of the gods.

Anneke, figured out what that "press-goat" means yet? I'm rather curious myself.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from Breasted:

Temple of the Memnon Colossi:
“Behold, the heart of his majesty was satisfied with making a very great monument; never has happened the like since the beginning.
He made (it) as his monument for his father, Amon, Lord of Thebes, making for him an august temple on the west of Thebes, an eternal, everlasting fortress of fine white sandstone, wrought with gold throughout; its floor is adorned with silver, all its portals with electrum; it is made very wide and large, and established forever; and adorned with this very great monument. It is numerous in royal statues, of Elephantine granite, of costly gritstone, of every splendid costly stone, established as everlasting works. Their stature shines more than the heavens, their rays are in the faces (of men) like the sun, when he shines early in the morning. It is supplied with a “Station of the King” wrought with gold and many costly stones. Flagstaves are set up before it, wrought with electrum; It resembles the horizon in heaven when Re rises therein. Its lake is filled with the great river Nile, lord of the fish and fowl, pure in ____”

The term used on the French site is "presse-bouc" (press-goat). The term is used on other French sites and seems to refer to a list of published articles in the (popular?) press.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"its floor is adorned with silver, all its portals with electrum;"

Put that way it makes a little more since; surfaces or floors may have been decorated with silver or gold inlays. I still doubt entire floors or walls were adorned with gold or silver (especially the latter, which did not exist in measurable quantities in Egypt, except as an impurity in their gold).

I've never been sure how reliable those ancient descriptions of temples are. They are likely to be much exaggerated. The portals of electrum are somewhat convincing, as this was a favorite material of the Egyptians in either its natural form or the artificial (a compound of gold and silver). Those Egyptians certainly knew their stuff when it came to working with minerals and stones.

Your definition of goat-press seems convincing. I have to wonder, though, why "goat" is used in that term? I keep thinking of this machine where goats are fed into one end and out the other end comes goat cheese, goat milk, goat steaks, goat coats, etc.

Sorry.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anneke wrote:
Quote:
"Bonds" instead of Links
Still not sure what "Press-Goat" would be.

"A small layer of self-satisfaction"? as the title of a page

I know - they're hysterical Laughing Laughing

Press goat would be a fitting name for a press reporter!
A little bit of useless trivia - goat meat is called Chevron, hehe sorry goaties.

The temples would have been truely stunning. Considering they were the gods house (or kings mortuary temple), they must have been furnished with the best of everything.
Even the common folk, just only allowed a small peek inside the front door during festivals, must have been struck with awe at the sights and sheer size of what they saw.
Just seen from the outside the massive walls and pylons flanked by enormous statues, oblisks, with flags flying - really something incredible.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've never been sure how reliable those ancient descriptions of temples are. They are likely to be much exaggerated.

That's what i thought too.

I've heard that the pyramids, or just the capstones of them, were gilded. Is that true? I have heard that obelisks were gilded to reflect the sunlight in dramatic ways.
Was the great sphinx of Giza painted? I saw something on TV suggesting it was, but now it isn't so did all the paint erode off or something?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tips of obelisks as well as those of pyramids were gilded, yes. These tips represent the ben-ben stone of Egyptian lore and were the single-most important part of the monuments (or in the case of pyramids, the most important part of the exteriors). Numerous ben-ben pyramid tips have been excavated from Egyptian sands and tell us a lot about their construction and adornment.

The Sphinx was also painted--exactly to what extent is in contention. There are remaind of paint on the face and other portions, but it's possible the entire body was not fully painted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: