Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is ancient Egypt overrated?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Is ancient Egypt overrated? Reply with quote

Do you think that ancient Egypt is overrated? Be honest here...do you think it is overhyped and are you fed up of it, or are you like me and you can't get enough of anything to do with ancient Egypt?

Ok, slight rant here...
This question came about when I saw a horrible little article today in a certain broadsheet newspaper. It was by a tv critic and he said the most awful things about ancient Egypt-he said that it is an 'overused'(i think that was the word) period of history and he said 'if I was director of channel 5 (where most Egyptian documentaries are shown on UK terrestrial TV) I would ban all documentaries on ancient Egypt and archeology'!!!!! Shocked Evil or Very Mad I remember he said something really nasty at the end of the article, something along the lines of 'if they keep showing these programmes, I will kill myself/this is the death of television' or something.
Ok, it's one thing to give a scathing review of a TV programme, but an entire period of history??? I understand people have preferences for different times and places in history, but how can someone actually hate ancient Egypt so much that he would love to see all Egyptian documentaries banned from TV? Confused That's just not on, in my opinion. In fact, I think it's stupid to say things like that.

Rant over. Ok, maybe ancient Egypt is the most 'overrated' (much as I hate using that word) period in ancient history (ie you don't hear as much hype about the Babylonians or the Incas), but what's so bad about that?
Stewart
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's because the documentaries typically focus on the same thing each time: pyramids and the Sphinx or the tomb of Tut-Ankh-Amon. They are always called something like Secrets of the Pyramids or Secrets of the Pharoahs.

I agree that there are too many programmes devoted to this but I don't think they should be banished. An attempt to delve further into the history via art, literature, culture, etc. would help provide a more rounded series of documentaries revolving around Egypt.
Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe saying suchs things is just some proof of the intellectual capacities of the one who wrote it. He/ her indeed might want to watch other programs or documentories about different subjects but what disturbs me most about television these days is that the television can't produce a interesting relaxing evening anymore. The only thing on commercial TV stations can show on TV are soaps, so-called life as it is programs, sensational programs, bad movies and lots of commercials, even the news on these TV stations in Belgium is hillarious to watch these days, but appearently people do want to watch it.

I hate to see a program or movie which is cut into pieces with commercials and where little pieces are cut out because otherwise the movie can't fit into their tight schedule.

Even in my family there are people who don't want to miss wheel of fortune, and they would rather stay home for it rather than to go out and miss it. Others go home early because they don't want to miss their favorite soap. It's their life though.

"video killed the radio star", and sometimes I believe TV killed the human brain.

Amen

PS did anyone taped neighbours last week? Laughing
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you what's causing the death of TV, if there is a 'death'. It's not Egypt documentaries. It's 'reality' tv. You know, Big Brother and all that rubbish. I'd rather watch another documentary about King Tut (although I've seen loads of them) than watch some stupid idiots embarrasing themselves on tv so they can attract publicity make the tabloid headlines the next day... Laughing
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are way more channels that "devote" their time to WWII, Vietnam etc.
I have heard similar jokes about how some channels here in the US are dubbed "The WWII channel".

My response: If you don't like it: switch the channel, or even better turn the darn thing off altogether and pick up a book.

I find that quite a few of the documentaries are somewhat shallow, and what they mainly do for me is spark an interest in some topic, which I then read up on....
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there's one channel-not sure if it's Five or BBC, that they say show too many Hitler docu's, and that channel 5 plays too many documentaries about sharks...

But do you think ancient Egypt, as a whole, is overhyped? And does that kill your interest for it?

I like to do art and stories based on Egyptian myths/gods, and apparently the myths of Egypt are not as well known amongst the public as Greek myths. However, for some reason, Anubis is incredibly popular in internet art sites...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:

But do you think ancient Egypt, as a whole, is overhyped? And does that kill your interest for it?

No, I don't think it's overhyped. The country represents more than 3000 years of ancient history. That's a lot of stuff to pick from to be interested in.
Then again I'm highly prejudiced Very Happy

I think it's a combo of a very long history, and many artifacts that create the interest.

Having said that, A thorough documentary about Ancient China would be welcomed by me as well...

isisinacrisis wrote:
However, for some reason, Anubis is incredibly popular in internet art sites...

I wonder if that has to do with the fact that he has been one of the main villains recently on Stargate SG1?
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the Mummy Returns? But he was in Stargate too...
Maybe because of his jackal head, maybe people think he's like a cute fwuffy doggy? Laughing But he has deathly connotations...I suppose that would make him cool and sort of 'gothic' Smile
It really irks me when people see the ancient Egyptians, their gods and beliefs, as evil, as is seen in Stargate and the mummy movies. It's one of my biggest Egypt-related peeves...

And yeah, I'm biased too-and addicted to Egypt. Bring on the Egypt documentaries, I say (it would be nice if they were about less well known aspects of egypt though-too much Tut!). And we need some good Egypt movies too.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump the post, but I saw another magazine TV critic slagging off ancient Egypt today. Evil or Very Mad What have these people got against ancient Egypt? It's not like they have the mummy's curse or something...
Well, it's all because next week is 'Egypt Week' on channel 5, and that means loads of Egyptian documentaries. That dimwit critic moaned about being sick of crusty mummies and seeing views of 'the awful dirty sludgy Nile' and that they should ban all Egyptian documentaries from Channel 5 and from all TV and blah blah blah...I bet those critics have never even been to Egypt (well, neither have I so i can't really have an opinion on the place...other than if I don't go there next year I'll be really annoyed...)

Now, if there was a week of ancient Egyptian documentaries, would you be excited and set the video recorder to tape 'em? or would you be sick of it all? Call me a sad egypt obsessive but the idea of an Egypt week on TV is like Christmas coming early Very Happy
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This critic you encountered clearly needs a good thrashing. Pity the poor dolt. His abundance of pitiful ignorance is clearly couding his judgement.

How can anyone not be utterly captivated by a civilization so ancient and so spectacular? Egypt has addicted countless people to its history. I should know. I am one of the incurably addicted! Twisted Evil
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that dolt critic needs to 'believe in pharaohs', so to speak... Laughing

Maybe we should join Egyptaholics Anonymous Wink

'Hi, my name's Isis and i'm an Egyptaholic...'
Very Happy
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clap clap clap clap clap

We love you, Isis! You hang in there! Be strong!

Are there milk and cookies at this meeting?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in denial.... I don't have a problem, everyone else does....

I'm not obsessed at all. Doesn't everyone talk this much about egypt? Cool
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree, anneke. I'm not obsessed in the least myself. No, not at all. Just ignore the books on ancient Egypt that have over-run my apartment, and the fact that what free time I have, I spend at the Field Museum in the Inside Ancient Egypt exhibit.

I'm no addict. Some say I'm just in denial, but when I hear them say that, I merely think of a certain river in Egypt.

Okay, I'm addicted, but I don't wish to find any road to recovery!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking, we could compile a little list called 'You know you're an Egyptoholic when...'

You think about ancient Egypt all day, every day. (guilty)
You dream about it. (guilty)
You spend your spare time in museums. (guilty)
You've lost count of the amount of Egyptian websites you've bookmarked and the amount of Egyptian pictures you've saved on your hard drive. (guilty)
You wear black eyeliner in the style of the pharaohs, and you draw Horus eyes round your eyes with eyeliner. (I did that for Halloween...)
You doodle hieroglyphics when you're bored. (guilty)
You want to go to Egypt on your next holiday/vacation (or you've already been) (very guilty)
You believe you were an ancient Egyptian in a past life. (not sure about that but I wish it were true!)
You misspell 'hours' as Horus (and not the other way round!) and 'denial' as 'de-nile' (I just did that now! lol)
You want to be mummified at death. (erm, I think that's taking it a bit too far...)

Feel free to add your own to the list. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: