Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Huh?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read there are very strong indications she was at the very least a co-regent with Akhenaten. The ushabti they found of Nefertiti gives her the title "great royal wife". That seems to indicate she did not die a pharaoh. Unless this is part of funerary equipment from an earlier time.

Then again, there are statues found in Tut's tomb of a pharaoh with female characteristics. (The statues show breasts.)

I did read somewhere that Horemheb seemed to go after Nefertiti's image with a particular vengeance. He dismanteled a temple dedicated to her, and used the stones as filler for one of his buildings, but only after chiseling out her image and placing the blocks upside down!

If she had defied Maat and had herself declared pharaoh, on top of being a heretic, then that would make sense.

That will be very interesting if they do find her tomb. We can only hope they find enough information to give definitive answers to thee questions.
Rip Li
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
thats what the ultrasounds say they belive theres somthing under the sphinx but they have no idea what

If we can only get Geraldo to show up, and open it... faroah
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance. Who's Geraldo?
sinzi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I saw a documentary about the discovery of Nefertiti's tomb. I was always fascinated by the Amarna period so I found the documentary very inetersting. Dr Joan Fletcher is the one who says that the mummy is actually Nefertiti's mummy. They have reconstructed here face on the computer and there is a stunning resemblance between the image created and the statues found. They say that only after a few years they will now for sure but they are pretty convinced. Has anyone else seen the documentary? What do you believe? Could it be true. If it is it could be the greates discovery about ancient Egypt. A lot of questions would be answered.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe it's Nefertiti at all. DNA tests seem to indicate the mummy is a male and the age is supposedly totally wrong (the mummy is too young to be Nefertiti). I think that most (if not all) egyptologists don't believe it's Nefertiti.
We discussed it here: http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=39

You would have to wade through some 12 pages of comments though Smile

I just noticed on a news site that besides testing Tutankhamen's body, they will also test the body found in KV35 (the one that Fletcher claims is Nefertiti). Giving the mummy a CAT scan may provide some more information.

It would be very interesting to hear of further results.

Did you check out our Amarna related section?
http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=17
You might really enjoy that.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Segereh, Geraldo Rivera. A few years ago, he made a big deal about discovering Al Capone's "hidden" safe. It was opened on T.V. amid much hoop-a-la. At the crowning moment, when the door creaked open, it was seen to be full--of nothing! It was empty.
Since then, Rivera has been mentioned whenever a big mystery is about to be solved.

sinzi, the controversy with Fletcher's work, and her claim that the Younger Lady mummy may be Nefertiti is just so much shouting to the wind, as far as I'm concered. Her wild speculation and herthumbing her nose at the rules of the SCA--meaning Hawass--has got her banned from excavation work in the future. Her ideas are old hat, really. Marianne Luban published the same theory several years ago.
sinzi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. It was hard to believe for me too but still when you here something like this you hope in a way it is true. There are so many theories that you hardly know what to believe.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinzi wrote:
I know. It was hard to believe for me too but still when you here something like this you hope in a way it is true.

That's true. It would be wonderful if they would find some mummy, or artifacts from that timeperiod Smile
Even a tomb from a nobleman/woman from that timeperiod would be really interesting.

There are quite a few royals still unaccounted for: Nefertiti, Akhenaten himself (unless it's him in KV55), any of the 6 royal daughters.
They do know that the second daughter Meketaten was buried in the royal tomb at Amarna, and they have her sarcophagus (pieces of it), but the other 5 daughters are unaccounted for.
And then there's Kiya the other wife of Akhenaten...
sinzi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty interesting this family and misterious. It makes you want to know more. Probably all these misteries makes it the most famous period in Egypt's history. And everyone comes up with so many contradictory theories that at some point you really don't know whom to believe.
Quote:
Even a tomb from a nobleman/woman from that timeperiod would be really interesting.

You are so right. I think that every discovery is fascinating. You get to learn so much even from small things
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 18th Dynasty is my own favorite, in fact. So much intrigue and mystery, it's almost like a television drama. The New Kingdom has begun, soon comes along the greatest of female pharoahs (in my own opinion more interesting than Cleopatra), the magnificant warrior king Tuthmosis, the heretic king who threw his nation into turmoil, not to mention the boy king who was obscure in his own time but would go on to become the most famous of Egyptian pharaohs 3000 years later.

What does the 18th Dynasty lack in drama? Nothing that I can see.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon some of that drama will be brought to a screen near you, kmt_sesh. I understand a movie is in the negotiation stages with Egyptian authorities. It is to be a "fictionalized account" of Hapshepsut, starring Catherine Zeta-Jones as the queen and Pharaoh. Rolling Eyes
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a joke, Osiris, or are you really being serious about Catherine Zeta Jones?
I'd love to see a movie on Egypt, but knowing Hollywood, the history will probably be rubbish Laughing

Sorry to sound like a duh-brain but I didn't know all that happened in the 18 dynasty. I know nothing about dynasties and which pharaohs were in them so i was confused when everyone here made a fuss about it...I thought it was just King Tut or Rameses, but I didn't know all the pharaohs mentioned were in the 18th. Yeah, i'm so stoopid Laughing
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest injun, isisinacrisis! I read it in the L.A. Times.
The only one mentioned was C. Zeta-Jones--I wounder who they will sign up to play Senmut? Colin Ferrell! Brad Pitt!!
I'm sure it will be a usual Hollywood epic--long on sex, short on history...
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the movie called? I can check it up on IMDB or Ancient Egypt Film Database.
I don't know who Senmut is but maybe they should cast Orlando Bloom as him Wink
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senmut was an important nobleman at Queen Hatshepsut's court.
According to graffiti, he was Hatshepsut's lover.

Senmut was the tutor to Hatshepsut's daughter Neferure. There are some statues of Senmut with Neferure.

I wonder who they will include in the story. Hapuseneb was the High priest of Amun. I think Senmut was involved with the building of Hatshepsut's temple in Deir el Bahari.

There's the trip to the land of Punt. Lot's of stuff to choose from here.
Her husband (Thutmosis II) was also married to Isis, who was the mother of the next king: Thutmosis III.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: