Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mummy news from Columbus, Ohio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Mummy news from Columbus, Ohio Reply with quote

Some local mummy news in Columbus, Ohio... the century-long resident of the Ohio Historical Society, the 25th-Dynasty priestess Nesykhonsupashery, was given a thorough CT scan, with a number of surprise findings. Almost simultaneously (but unrelated), it was determined that the mummy in Nesykhonsupashery's coffin is not her! For the time being, it is suggested that she be renamed "Amunet" for "Hidden"...

The mummy is in good shape despite apparently not having had access to the top-flight embalming techniques. Most internal organs appear to be intact and in their original places. She appears to have been about a 40-year-old woman with very good teeth and apparently good health, with no obvious indicators as to cause of death.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/insight/2013/04/14/giving-up-secrets.html

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/science/2013/04/14/1-scans-reveal-detailed-clues-to-mummys-past.html
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I wonder if the mixup occured anciently or if the collector who once oned her mixed up his mummies.
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how one could tell the difference... scenario A is a mix-up a la DB320, and scenario B is "This mummy's no good; I'd better find a better one to go with this coffin." Idea

I'd guess there could be forensic tests that could tell the difference, but I have no idea what they might be.
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another story on this, from the Ohio Historical Society:

http://www.ohiohistory.org/publications/ohio-histore-news/2013/may-2-2013/the-hidden-one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: