Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pharaoh coronation vs presidential inauguration vs Papal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarga10
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Pharaoh coronation vs presidential inauguration vs Papal Reply with quote

hello folks just been watching videos of barack obama inauguration and Pope francis coronation and could not help comparing them to a crowning of an egyptian pharaoh. What do you guys think? which one is closer. I for one somehow think ( just speculation) old kingdom pharaohs coronation were more like a religious affair held inside the temple with very few people witnessing. Somehow i can imagine new kingdom pharaohs resemble more presidential type coronation with music bands, parades as well as religious parts but not as 'cold and dark' as the old kingdom.
Remember i dont have a clue just guessing! what you folks thinks?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no similarities between the inauguration of an U.S. President and the coronation ceremonies (as far as we know them) of an Egyptian king.

Even the modernized form of the enthronement of a Pope probably did not show to me really similarities, apart from the transfer of certain symbols of the office (palium, ring and mitra and crosier of the bishop of Rome).

Also, I do not think that the source material allows a fundamental distinction of coronation sequence of Old and New Kingdom.

I believe there is evidence from the lists from Deir el Medinah that the day was free of work. The ceremony itself allows actually only on few points the opportunity for public: excerpt from and return to the palace, and the first appearance after the coronation. Where about the latter is not clear to what extent the public was established here​​.

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On point:

Bommas, M. 2013. Das agyptische Investiturritual. British Archaeological Reports (International Series 2562). London: BAR.

Summary: Based on a new edition of Moscow 314 Papyrus from the Middle Kingdom, this study identifies for the first time the ancient Egyptian ritual of investiture. Serving as a tool of re-attunement, the ritual speech act, pivotal for the creation of divine kingship in ancient Egypt, is now identified. The speech influenced the investiture of the dead uncovered in mortuary liturgies. An interdisciplinary approach based on theories relating to political theology, the natural and political body of the Pharaoh, as well as on rituals of investiture dated from the ancient world down to the 17th C AD is applied to the study of this important subject.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

evarelap
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the general population learn about the new pharaoh taking office?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: