Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan Reply with quote

Rick Riordan is taking his successful formula of modern kids interacting with ancient gods that he pioneered with his Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and taken it to Egypt with the Kane Chronicles.

In this story the heroes are Carter (named after Howard Carter of course) and Sadie Kane. They are thrown into an epic struggle between the ancient gods and the society of magicians known as the House of Life when their Egyptologist father, Julius Kane, takes them to the British Museum in an attempt to free the mother who has been trapped in the Duat ever since a partially successful to release the ancient gods into the modern world. It all goes horribly wrong when instead of unleashing his wife, Julius releases the god of Chaos, Set himself. Set overcomes Julius and imprisons him in a sarcophagus. The kids get away and are taken by their uncle Amos to Brooklyn. (Yay my hometown!)

The kids learn that they are descendants of ancient Egyptian magicians and that these magicians still operate in the modern world. The gods are there too--sometimes in disguise. Sometimes they're there to help and sometimes they have their own agendas.

Can Carter & Sadie learn ancient magic and enlist the aid of the gods to prevent Set from unleashing chaos throughout the world?

This is a fun read. Some of the personifications of the Egyptian gods in their modern form are a hoot. Bast appears as a Catwoman type martial arts expert in a leopard leotard. Anubis is a broodingly handsome teen idol type with a passion for funerals and New Orleans and Thoth is a disarmingly nutty professor in --where else--the University of Memphis (Tennessee that is, the god of wisdom has discovered the modern marvels of blues music and barbecue and when he sends the kids to the tomb of a "Great King" well let's just say Graceland will never be the same).

The author has done his homework. His site links to several highly legitimate sources (e.g. the British and the Brooklyn Museum) and he portrays the gods in a manner that recognizes their complexity. Since this book is aimed at the 'tween and preteen market he's a bit vague on some of the more uncomfortable aspects of Egyptian mythology--don't expect to see references to exactly how that creation thing came about or any of the raunchier episodes in the saga of Horus and Set.

These things aside, the story's fast paced and the stakes are high. I knocked it off in a couple of hours.
champeo
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I am about 3 quarters of the way through that book. I like it, it's actually quite a good read. Isn't there a sequel out? I thought I heard about one. The book has some interesting info about some Egyptian gods in it.

You're right about the author doing his homework. When I was reading, I was also thinking that he must have done a lot of research on the Egyptian pantheon before writing this. But you are right about him being vague, because of what the novel is mainly marketed at.
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is.

"Throne of Fire" I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

http://www.rickriordan.com/my-books/kane-chronicles.aspx
Montu
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never read it but I think anything that gets kids interested in history is cool, even if it's Indiana Jones. imo fiction doesn't have to factual the main thing is it's entertaining and from what I've heard this one is.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to read these books. It's a trilogy, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: