Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book of the Dead Spell 159- who are they?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serapis Liber
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, okay, I see. I should have been more specific with my previous question in the first place, my apologies, since I wasn't trying to refer to just this text specifically, where "goddess" is explicitly denoted as well. I was asking more in a general sense, like if there was ever a time when Renenet was used to simply refer to someone in the act of nursing, similar to how sometimes the name Horus was used to indicate authority and/or divinity rather than just the son of Isis and Osiris, such as Book of the Dead spells that call the deceased "Chief of Chiefs and Horus of Horuses," etc.

Yeah, and sorry for getting a bit defensive previously. Now I know better, so no worries. Very Happy
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serapis Liber wrote:
Ahhh, okay, I see. I should have been more specific with my previous question in the first place, my apologies, since I wasn't trying to refer to just this text specifically, where "goddess" is explicitly denoted as well. I was asking more in a general sense, like if there was ever a time when Renenet was used to simply refer to someone in the act of nursing, similar to how sometimes the name Horus was used to indicate authority and/or divinity rather than just the son of Isis and Osiris, such as Book of the Dead spells that call the deceased "Chief of Chiefs and Horus of Horuses," etc.

Yeah, and sorry for getting a bit defensive previously. Now I know better, so no worries. Very Happy

Usually in the case of "Horus" referring to the king, it is a specific epithet, i.e.., the "living Horus," in which the falcon glyph is shown in various modes (crowned, or written along with a solar disc upon which the divine uraeus encircles, the Horus falcon astride a cobra (19th Dynasty), and so on) and always appears before the king's name.

However, when the deity Horus is meant, it is usually shown simply as a falcon, and often with the attendant A40 (deity) glyph so there is no mistake as to whom the glyph refers.

(NB: this is totally different from the /Hr nbw/ "Golden Horus" name of the king, which forms part of his titulary. In that case, Horus (as a falcon) is show atop the symbol for gold (a necklace[?]), announcing that the following glyphs are the "statement" name of the king is his "Golden Horus" form.)

For more on titles of the king see:

Quirke, S. 1990. Who Were the Pharaohs? A History of their Names with a List of Cartouches. Mineola, NY: Dover.

von Beckerath, J. 1999. Handbuch der ägyptischen Königsnamen. Münchner Ägyptologische Studien 49. Mainz: Philipp von Zabern.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: