Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greatest Pharaoh or Queen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nefer-Ankhe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Greatest Pharaoh or Queen? Reply with quote

Who do you think was the greatest pharaoh, queen or both, of ancient Egypt and why, for whatsoever reason!
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the so many millenia of their existance it is difficult to pick out one. I could say Ahmose because he drove out the Hyksos and laid the foundations for the 18th Dynasty and such glory. I could say Amunhotep III because he was probably at the high water mark of Egyptian History, but his reign led to Akhenaten, and though endlessly fascinating to modern people, in the end result he was probably bad for Egytpians, possibly very bad. Then I could say Ramesses III, the last Pharaoh of any note, and to me, even more impressive now we know he was responsible for moving the capital to Tanis, surely a task more difficult than building the Great Pyramid. But, and it is difficult, I choose Thutmosis III. Not simply because of his military victories and essentially making Egypt an Empire, but because he did not depose Hatshepsut when he probably could have quite easily. He waited until nature took it's course, he did his duty to his Queen and his country, and perhaps better than any other before or after him. Others will have their own favorite, but to me, Thutmosis III was the greatest, far greater than Ramesses II, who seems great only in stealing others momuments and his exploits in the harem.
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Ikon about Thutmose III. Narmer/Menes deserves some thought as well, although the debate over if he was 1 or 2 people makes it hard to give him first place. And the returners to orthodox religion combined did Egypt a great service.
Frater0082
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amenhotep III his reign was very prosperous and peaceful.
Tino
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatshepsut!

The first of the great female rulers: Celopatra, Elizabeth I, Margaret Thatcher.

(OK maybe not the last Embarassed )
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admire the Pharaohs who had to work hard to be on the throne in the first place and left behind a stronger throne than when they came to power.

From those (and there are several to choose from) I think about cultural and political influence - and thirdly the personality that has survived through art and literature left behind.

Taking all of the above into account my greatest Pharaohs are Hatchepsut and Horemheb.

Hatchepsut I respect immensely as a female ruler at a time when this was not at all commonplace, and for her nurturing of Tuthmosis III, himself one of Egypt's most impressive and respected rulers.

Horemheb was not born into the royal household and worked his way up the ladder to the throne over a period of up to 40 years. His achievement when king was to restore order, restore faith in the royal house and the structure of Egyptian society and set Egypt up to an even greater golden age under Ramesses I, his son Seti and grandson Ramesses II.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very difficult question to answer.

Because we know more about the kings of the New Kingdom I think that in any poll they will be over represented.

There may well be kings of the other kingdoms and intermediate periods that were better rulers, better warriors or better legislators but because the record is deficient they will never get the attention that they deserve.

However to answer as best I can I nominate Ramesses lll. A king living in troubled times who maintained the kingdom in the face of great threats from the Sea Peoples and others and was really the last flicker of greatness in the history of AE.

Besides he built Medinat Habu, my favourite site in Luxor and one that seems to be ignored by most visitors.

A great man and king.
dashotep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greatest man to be Pharaoh was probably Alexander the Great (since he was recognised as such). His intrepidity and boldness make him one of the greatest figures in world history. He did Egypt the service of getting rid of the Persians, meanwhile, and paved the day for the late flowering under the Ptolemies (who while still a bunch of foreigners at least weren't absentee landlords).

The greatest native Pharaoh? I'm tempted to say Chephren, since he built a pyramid nearly as great as the great pyramid, but also left figurative artefacts that convey his presence, namely the statues from the Valley Temple and the Great Sphinx itself (if that was indeed his work).

Since I like a patriot who drives out invaders, I would also have to give honourable mention to Ahmose I, who got rid of the Hyksos and founded the New Kingdom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: