Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are these actual Akhenaten Quotes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nefer-Ankhe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Are these actual Akhenaten Quotes? Reply with quote

True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance.

To be satisfied with a little, is the greatest wisdom; and he that increaseth his riches, increaseth his cares; but a contented mind is a hidden treasure, and trouble findeth it not.

For more...
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/akhenaton.html

Are these actual quotes of Akhenaten? I searched this up and every single page I have come across have these exact same quotes, so this page isn't individual.

Are they, if so, that's great! =)
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Are these actual Akhenaten Quotes? Reply with quote

Nefer-Ankhe wrote:
... Are these actual quotes of Akhenaten? ...

With 99,9 % security (without real study of the sources) I would say no. As far as I know there are only the so called Small and Great Hymn to the Aton on the walls in the tombs in Achetaton are direct attributet to Akhenaton as author (and also this is not really clear, but probable). Other "verbatim quotes" seem to be preserved in the inscriptions of the boundary stelae. Otherwise, I can think of the Amarna tablets or the direct instructions by the king, mentioned by individual civil servants and craftsmen. In these, however, the king is not quoted verbatim. However, all of these sources contain rather not the brought quotes?

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these actual Akhenaten Quotes? Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Nefer-Ankhe wrote:
... Are these actual quotes of Akhenaten? ...

With 99,9 % security (without real study of the sources) I would say no. As far as I know there are only the so called Small and Great Hymn to the Aton on the walls in the tombs in Achetaton are direct attributet to Akhenaton as author (and also this is not really clear, but probable). Other "verbatim quotes" seem to be preserved in the inscriptions of the boundary stelae. Otherwise, I can think of the Amarna tablets or the direct instructions by the king, mentioned by individual civil servants and craftsmen. In these, however, the king is not quoted verbatim. However, all of these sources contain rather not the brought quotes?

You would have thought that if these were actual sayings of Akhenaten, they would refer to either the boundary stelae or the Hymns as the sources. AFAIK, these are the only texts that are attributed to have been authorised as "being from" Akhenaten, and that's because in some cases, the king states certain statements in the first person.

If you want to see actual thoughts of Akhenaten, I suggest the Great Hymn to the Aten, which can be seen in transliteration and translation at Digital Egypt/UCL (UK).

If some of this Hymn sounds familiar to you, it should: compare with Psalm 104 and you can see how the Great Hymn to the Aten lived on in later literature.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Nefer-Ankhe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much both, appreciated.
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just passing through and saw your post, thought you might find the following link interesting, http://www.maat.sofiatopia.org/amen_em_apt.htm

As I understand things, it was not unusual for a father to pass on his (life's) "wisdom" to his offspring (specifically a son) in the form of instructions/teachings/admonitions.

For those who could write this could be a document such as the one referenced and translated at the above link. I believe the original is on display at the museum in London.

Not an answer to your question, but maybe a clue to further research.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeTinker wrote:
Just passing through and saw your post, thought you might find the following link interesting, http://www.maat.sofiatopia.org/amen_em_apt.htm

A critical analysis of this text's Prolegomenon and Prologue can be found (as a full-blown dissertation) which is partially online and otherwise available for download (as a PDF) at

The Instruction of Amenemope: A Critical Edition and Commentary. Prolegomenon and Prologue (James Roger Black, 2002)

This dissertation includes the hieroglyph rendering of the Prolegomenon and Prologue of the Instruction of Amenope[t], and discusses many of the issues queried here (such as who is the author, who is the audience/recipient of the text, and so on.)

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! that was some read, seriously interesting and worth taking the time to digest. Thx neseret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: