Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hymns to Sekhmet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isqua wrote:
Lutz wrote:
This one sounds in my view also of interest for you (and is available in Australia) :

Ludwig D. Morenz : Beiträge zur Schriftlichkeitskultur im Mittleren Reich und in der 2. Zwischenzeit. - [Leipzig, Univ., Diss., 1994]. - Wiesbaden : Harrassowitz, 1996. - ISBN : 3-447-03882-9. - 435 p.

Thanks, I'll add it to the library list. ...

You can cancel this (I borrowed it from the Berlin State Library). Very interesting (if you can read German) but no hieroglyphic texts, only transcriptions and translations.

But take a look on this page : THE EEF GUIDE TO INTERNET RESOURCES FOR ANCIENT EGYPTIAN TEXTS.

Maybe you find there something of interest for you. "The Myth of the Destruction of Mankind / The Book of the Heavenly Cow" is also to find there.

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isqua wrote:
Lutz wrote:
This one sounds in my view also of interest for you (and is available in Australia) :

Ludwig D. Morenz : Beiträge zur Schriftlichkeitskultur im Mittleren Reich und in der 2. Zwischenzeit. - [Leipzig, Univ., Diss., 1994]. - Wiesbaden : Harrassowitz, 1996. - ISBN : 3-447-03882-9. - 435 p.

Thanks, I'll add it to the library list. ...

You can cancel this (I borrowed it from the Berlin State Library). Very interesting (if you can read German) but no hieroglyphic texts, only transcriptions and translations.

But take a look on this page : THE EEF GUIDE TO INTERNET RESOURCES FOR ANCIENT EGYPTIAN TEXTS.

Maybe you find there something of interest for you. "The Myth of the Destruction of Mankind / The Book of the Heavenly Cow" is also to find there.

Greetings, Lutz.
Chepses
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I'm working on my master thesis at the moment and it's about trying to understand if Sekhmet, as a goddess of destruction and of war (among all the other epithets associated to her) had any impact on political and military decisions. Since the lioness goddess is also my area of interest right now, I would love to find hieroglyphic, transliteratied and translated texts concerning her. Of course, one of the biggest sources is the ANET (Ancient Naar Eastern Texts relating to the Old Testament) but it doesn't present any hieroglyphic transcription. The italian book which Lutz mentioned about egyptian hymns, I'm considering buying it. However, the link goes to a book with a very long title and many other texts, is it the same? Also, the book authored by Sigrid-Eike Hoenes might be a good start, got to work on my German Razz And also Phillipe Germond's work. I can't find this latter book anywhere, even on online stores. Can someone help me please? :/ Does anyone have it as an e-book or something? He doesn't seem to exist on any library here in Portugal.

Also, since the last post on this topic is from 2013, does anyone know if there are even more hymns/egyptian texts related to Sekhmet? And since I'm also studying her softer side, any references to Bastet would be fine. I promise to, at the very least, mention everyone on my acknowledgements Smile
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chepses wrote:
Hi! I'm working on my master thesis at the moment and it's about trying to understand if Sekhmet, as a goddess of destruction and of war (among all the other epithets associated to her) had any impact on political and military decisions. Since the lioness goddess is also my area of interest right now, I would love to find hieroglyphic, transliteratied and translated texts concerning her. Of course, one of the biggest sources is the ANET (Ancient Naar Eastern Texts relating to the Old Testament) but it doesn't present any hieroglyphic transcription. The italian book which Lutz mentioned about egyptian hymns, I'm considering buying it. However, the link goes to a book with a very long title and many other texts, is it the same? Also, the book authored by Sigrid-Eike Hoenes might be a good start, got to work on my German Razz And also Phillipe Germond's work. I can't find this latter book anywhere, even on online stores. Can someone help me please? :/ Does anyone have it as an e-book or something? He doesn't seem to exist on any library here in Portugal.

Also, since the last post on this topic is from 2013, does anyone know if there are even more hymns/egyptian texts related to Sekhmet? And since I'm also studying her softer side, any references to Bastet would be fine. I promise to, at the very least, mention everyone on my acknowledgements Smile

May I suggest the following:

Germond, P. 1981. Sekhmet et la Protection du Monde. Aegyptiaca Helvetica 9. Geneva: Editions de Belles-Lettres.

One of the best works on the goddess Sekhmet, and some areas do discuss the issues you raise.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
Chepses wrote:

Germond, P. 1981. Sekhmet et la Protection du Monde. Aegyptiaca Helvetica 9. Geneva: Editions de Belles-Lettres.

One of the best works on the goddess Sekhmet, and some areas do discuss the issues you raise.

HTH.

I just realised you are seeking Germond's book. I have checked all of the regular Egyptological bookstores (L'Orientaliste (Cairo/Geneva), Atleest (Leiden), Leila (Cairo), Boustany's (Cairo), and Cybele (Paris), and I have come up empty. Even a general search on Bookfinder.com and ZVAB (Germany) comes up empty. This is not all that unusual as the book was written over 30 years ago.

My only suggestion would be to get to an Egyptological library at a university nearest to you, such as Paris, which would surely have a copy. I see from the UK university libraries there are no less than 8 copies at UK universities, and the British Library in London.

Good luck in your search for this publication: it is a very good work and you WILL need it for your thesis.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Chepses
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
neseret wrote:
Chepses wrote:

HTH.

I just realised you are seeking Germond's book. I have checked all of the regular Egyptological bookstores (L'Orientaliste (Cairo/Geneva), Atleest (Leiden), Leila (Cairo), Boustany's (Cairo), and Cybele (Paris), and I have come up empty. Even a general search on Bookfinder.com and ZVAB (Germany) comes up empty. This is not all that unusual as the book was written over 30 years ago.

My only suggestion would be to get to an Egyptological library at a university nearest to you, such as Paris, which would surely have a copy. I see from the UK university libraries there are no less than 8 copies at UK universities, and the British Library in London.

Good luck in your search for this publication: it is a very good work and you WILL need it for your thesis.

HTH.

Thank you neseret, I already searched for Germond's book and couldn't find it on sale, and the nearest library is in Paris. Since I am from Portugal, is going to be hard. It's a shame since as I came to understand, this book, besides being a scientific work on Sekhmet, presents hieroglyphic inscriptions, which would be good since I could translate them directly to portuguese, instead of translating another translation. If anyone is lucky enough to have a copy of this book on pdf or e-book format, please, PM me. Also, I'm willing to pay to anyone that could either scan the book or photocopy it and send it to me. I know this is unusual but Paris is almost 1600 Km away from here :/ There is another book that I could only find it in french libraries, which is Les prêtres-ouâb de Sekhmet et les conjurateurs de Serket . Again, if someone could scan it or photocopy it to send it to me, I would pay for it.

There is also Sigrid-Eike Hoenes' book, Untersuchungen zu Wesen and Kult der Göttin Sachmet which its not for sale anywhere but, fortunately, I was able to find a digital copy on pdf format. the biggest trouble is, German is not a language I understand. Could anyone help me with translations? Google translate is not reliable and sometimes it doesn't even make sense Very Happy

Besides these works, does anyone know any other books where I can find original inscriptions relating to Sekhmet? Like the myth of mankinds' destruction or even other hymns or religious texts where she is referred. I'm also looking for references to Bastet and the only book I have about her which is good is The cat in Ancient Egypt by Jaromir Malek. Any help regarding books or original texts dating from ancient Egypt would really be appreciated Smile

Thank you again neseret and thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me. Working on a master thesis really is hard and I cannot imagine how my PhD is going to be. Anyway, I know I'm going to make this Smile

Chepses
Isqua
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chepses wrote:
The italian book which Lutz mentioned about egyptian hymns, I'm considering buying it.

Hi Chepses. It's been a while since I saw this thread but if you meant:

Marco Zecchi : Inni religiosi dell' Egitto antico. - [Testi del Vicino Oriente antico 1 - Letteratura egiziana classica 5]. - Brescia : Paideia, 2004. - ISBN : 88-394-0692-1.

I bought this book but I'm afraid it doesn't have the hieroglyphs. Would be happy to send you a few sample pages including the bibliography and some references from it (I have a pdf of this I made for a friend so it would be quite easy if you PM me your email).
Isqua
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lutz"][quote="Isqua"]
Lutz wrote:

Greetings, Lutz.

I never got a notification that there was more added to this thread until now ... this is very close to what I was looking for, it has the hieroglyphs and translation for each line!! This is great, will be a lot of fun to go through and work on. Thank you Lutz Smile
Isqua
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chepses wrote:
Besides these works, does anyone know any other books where I can find original inscriptions relating to Sekhmet? Like the myth of mankinds' destruction or even other hymns or religious texts where she is referred.
Chepses

The link Lutz provided in the previous post has the Destruction of Mankind inscriptions (Ctrl + F "The Myth of the Destruction of Mankind / The Book of the Heavenly Cow").

I had a look at some (but not all) of the books mentioned here in this thread previously but did not find any that had the hieroglyphs.

Going through my computer files, there may be a few things of interest to help you or anyone else googling this to get started/point you in the right direction:

Sekhmet in Magic in Ancient Egypt and Handbook of Egyptian Mythology by Geraldine Pinch.pdf
Sekhmet, Ancient Egyptian Sun Goddess.pdf (epithets from a website)
Sekhmet in the Pyramid Texts.pdf (3 Utterances from Faulkner that mention Sekhmet but mostly in passing)
Sekhmet epithets from Lexikon der Agyptischen Gotter und Gotterbezeichnungen by Christian Leitz.pdf (transliteration and German translation)
Lioness of the Sun - Sekhmet.pdf (epithets from a website)
Lioness of the Sun - Carnelian (Sekhmet).pdf (as above)
Chepses
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isqua wrote:
Chepses wrote:
Besides these works, does anyone know any other books where I can find original inscriptions relating to Sekhmet? Like the myth of mankinds' destruction or even other hymns or religious texts where she is referred.
Chepses

The link Lutz provided in the previous post has the Destruction of Mankind inscriptions (Ctrl + F "The Myth of the Destruction of Mankind / The Book of the Heavenly Cow").

I had a look at some (but not all) of the books mentioned here in this thread previously but did not find any that had the hieroglyphs.

Going through my computer files, there may be a few things of interest to help you or anyone else googling this to get started/point you in the right direction:

Sekhmet in Magic in Ancient Egypt and Handbook of Egyptian Mythology by Geraldine Pinch.pdf
Sekhmet, Ancient Egyptian Sun Goddess.pdf (epithets from a website)
Sekhmet in the Pyramid Texts.pdf (3 Utterances from Faulkner that mention Sekhmet but mostly in passing)
Sekhmet epithets from Lexikon der Agyptischen Gotter und Gotterbezeichnungen by Christian Leitz.pdf (transliteration and German translation)
Lioness of the Sun - Sekhmet.pdf (epithets from a website)
Lioness of the Sun - Carnelian (Sekhmet).pdf (as above)

Thank you Isqua! I will check that website, the thing is, I'm gonna have to read all the inscriptions to search for the references I'm looking for, but it's a great thing they provide hieroglyphic text.

Regarding books and other websites, I'm always suspicious because many things are esoteric gibberish. I once bought a book about Bastet and Sekhmet and then I found out it was a guide on how to pray to both of them and it was written by some "priestess" of Sekhmet. Extra careful about all these so called "books". Still I'm going to check all the references you gave me, thank you so much again! I will PM you with my e-mail address as you asked Smile
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philippe Germond : Sekhmet et la protection du monde. - [Aegyptiaca Helvetica 9]. - Genève : Éditions de Belles-Lettres, 1981. - V, 423 p., 3 figs, 1 plan, 1 table,

is available here in Berlin in two university librarys :
Quote:
OEB 23813 (AEB 1981.0363) :

"The study consists of two parts. The first part is concerned with the invocation text to Sakhmet in the temple of Edfu (Edfu VI, 263,15-269,12 = X,2, pl. 154). After a general introduction the author presents the text (with textual notes and the parallels at Edfu, Kom Ombo and Dendara) and the translation on opposite pages, followed by the philological notes.

In the second part the author discusses the contents of the texts, which are concerned with the protective role of Sakhmet. He first devotes introductory remarks to the geographical and topographical aspects of the goddess, to her name and representation, and to her double nature. The following chapter I deals with Sakhmet's role in the maintenance of the universal order, in the Osirian as well as in the solar cycle. Included are discussions of the myth of the Distant Goddess and the Destruction of Mankind. In the extensive chapter II the author studies her role in the protection of the monarchy: first her relations with the monarchy and her role for that of Hathor-Sakhmet) in the ritual celebrations of the New Year. Apart from the Rite of the Unification with the Sun Disk (Xnm itn), and the Rite of Establishing the Heritage (smn iwat), the Rite of Appeasing Sakhmet (sHtp sxmt) plays a prominent part. Also attention is paid to her connections with the return of the inundation. Chapter III is devoted to her protection of the country, and particularly of the individual. In this connection he discusses her role in the protection against the Pestilence of the Year (iAdt rnpt) during the epagomenal days, her relations with the personal piety and the realm of the dead, and the various amulets (wDAw) of the goddess.

In the conclusion the author stresses the ambivalent positive and negative character of Sakhmet. After the very extensive indexes follows an excursus containing all epithets of Sakhmet in the invocation text at Edfu."

Until the beginning of November I do not have the time to scan the book (over 400 pages, that makes not even short besides...).

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the same author and online available ("Bulletin de la Société d'Égyptologie de Genève")...

En marge des litanies de Sekhmet à Edfou - Flèches et messagers. - In: Bulletin de la Société d'Égyptologie de Genève 2. - 1979. - pp. 23 - 29.
Quote:
"It is the function of the litanies of Sakhmet in Edfu in which her arrows and messengers are mentioned to prevent her to send them against the Living Falcon, that is, to demonstrate her dangerous side at the end of the year. See now the same author "Sekhmet et la protection du monde"."

Le roi et le retour de l'inondation. - In: Bulletin de la Société d'Égyptologie de Genève 1. - 1979. - pp. 5 - 12.
Quote:
"From some texts, not only from Edfu but already from the N.K., it appears that the Egyptians held the king responsible for the annual return of the inundation, whether he acted himself or implored the gods who were connected with the inundation, particularly Hathor-Sakhmet."

Greetings, Lutz.
Chepses
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Philippe Germond : Sekhmet et la protection du monde. - [Aegyptiaca Helvetica 9]. - Genève : Éditions de Belles-Lettres, 1981. - V, 423 p., 3 figs, 1 plan, 1 table,

is available here in Berlin in two university librarys :
Quote:
OEB 23813 (AEB 1981.0363) :

"The study consists of two parts. The first part is concerned with the invocation text to Sakhmet in the temple of Edfu (Edfu VI, 263,15-269,12 = X,2, pl. 154). After a general introduction the author presents the text (with textual notes and the parallels at Edfu, Kom Ombo and Dendara) and the translation on opposite pages, followed by the philological notes.

In the second part the author discusses the contents of the texts, which are concerned with the protective role of Sakhmet. He first devotes introductory remarks to the geographical and topographical aspects of the goddess, to her name and representation, and to her double nature. The following chapter I deals with Sakhmet's role in the maintenance of the universal order, in the Osirian as well as in the solar cycle. Included are discussions of the myth of the Distant Goddess and the Destruction of Mankind. In the extensive chapter II the author studies her role in the protection of the monarchy: first her relations with the monarchy and her role for that of Hathor-Sakhmet) in the ritual celebrations of the New Year. Apart from the Rite of the Unification with the Sun Disk (Xnm itn), and the Rite of Establishing the Heritage (smn iwat), the Rite of Appeasing Sakhmet (sHtp sxmt) plays a prominent part. Also attention is paid to her connections with the return of the inundation. Chapter III is devoted to her protection of the country, and particularly of the individual. In this connection he discusses her role in the protection against the Pestilence of the Year (iAdt rnpt) during the epagomenal days, her relations with the personal piety and the realm of the dead, and the various amulets (wDAw) of the goddess.

In the conclusion the author stresses the ambivalent positive and negative character of Sakhmet. After the very extensive indexes follows an excursus containing all epithets of Sakhmet in the invocation text at Edfu."

Until the beginning of November I do not have the time to scan the book (over 400 pages, that makes not even short besides...).

Greetings, Lutz.

Hi Lutz! Smile

I have found both books I mentioned (Sekhmet et la protection du monde and Les prêtres-ouâb de Sekhmet et les conjurateurs de Serket) on French libraries and I'm thinking about getting a library exchange loan. The thing is, its really expensive. I really need them so if you could scan the book for me, we could discuss, privately, about prices. I'm really desperate about it since there aren't many scientific studies about Sekhmet and I need to gather everything I can for my Master thesis.

Thank you for finding both articles by Germond, I'm sure they will be useful. And such a good thing they are available online for free. I think we all know the struggle of being a graduate student, sometimes we spend more money in a month buying books than buying food Laughing
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chepses wrote:
... French libraries and I'm thinking about getting a library exchange loan. The thing is, its really expensive. I really need them so if you could scan the book for me, we could discuss, privately, about prices. ...

You do not have to pay me for the work. You need only take over the scan cost, per single scan this amount is between 2 to 4 cents (library dependent). I would scan double pages, so this book should be around 220 single scans ...

Greetings, Lutz.

P.S.: And if you then in Egypt directing your first dig, I naturally expect a private tour... Cool
Chepses
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Chepses wrote:
... French libraries and I'm thinking about getting a library exchange loan. The thing is, its really expensive. I really need them so if you could scan the book for me, we could discuss, privately, about prices. ...

You do not have to pay me for the work. You need only take over the scan cost, per single scan this amount is between 2 to 4 cents (library dependent). I would scan double pages, so this book should be around 220 single scans ...

Greetings, Lutz.

P.S.: And if you then in Egypt directing your first dig, I naturally expect a private tour... Cool

That would be a BIG life saver Lutz! If you could do that to me I would be eternally grateful to you! Very Happy The perks of trying to be an egyptologist in Portugal are really annoying Sad

PS: I hope one day I can have my own dig and when the time comes, I promise you'll get a tour Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: