Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Museum in Mallawi, near Minia / Tel el Amarna, looted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Salvage Operations of the Mallawi Museum : August 17, 2013

Greetings, Lutz.
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very sad Sad
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mallawi Museum gold coins recovered (Ahram Online, Nevine El-Aref , Monday 26 Aug 2013)

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short video ... "Egypt : Hundreds of priceless artefacts destroyed in museum looting".

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"More objects from the looted museum of Mallawi returned" (Luxor Times - Saturday, 31 August 2013):

Quote:
"... Now according to the Minister of Antiquities, the number of retrieved objects is 215 ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken, but back ... Akhenaten's Daughter returned.

Ahram Online : Ankhesom statue goes back to Egypt's Malawi Museum (Nevine El-Aref , Sunday 8 Dec 2013).

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Monica Hanna receives the SAFE Beacon Award for their efforts to protect Egyptian antiquities. The SAFE Beacon Awards recognizes outstanding achievement in raising public awareness about our endangered cultural heritage and the devastating consequences of the illicit antiquities trade. Like no other she toils with Egypt's Heritage Task Force to detect looting and illicit excavations and protect the monuments. A very deserved award for an unprecedented work, without which there eg. the pieces from the looted museum Malawi would be much worse. Meanwhile, in particular thanks to its great and rapid deployment of about 800 from about 1000 exhibits back.

Greetings, Lutz.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to hear something positive came of this.

Their is so much negativity coming out of the lands that were once the ancient near east, that it is rare when you hear something good happen.

I had never seen that Amarna statue before. It's really unique and I am glad it didn't get lost forever.

Although I know the depiction is of the royal child holding an offering, one could almost mistake it for her holding the sun, or earth, in one hand.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrismackint wrote:
... Although I know the depiction is of the royal child holding an offering, one could almost mistake it for her holding the sun, or earth, in one hand.

The princess holds, if I remember right, probably a pomegranate. This fruit symbolizes good fortune and luxury. It is known in Egypt since the 18th Dynasty (for the garden of Ineni - occupied under Thutmose I-III - in TT 81 five trees are mentioned but not shown). The previously earliest known depiction we find in the so called "Botanical Garden" of Thutmosis III in the Temple of Amun in Karnak.

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egyptian Embassy in US : eBay agree to suspend selling antiquities (Cairo Post, Jan. 29, 2014)

Greetings, Lutz.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article. But I just did a quick search on ebay for Egyptian artefacts and their are still a lot on their. I doubt ebay will police this as they are pretty lazy about monitoring content. All they care about is money and never forget to bill you but can't be of any help when it comes to doing anything meaningful such as finding a lost parcel.

Although sligthly off topic during my search I just noticed their is a really authentic looking statue of the goddess selket on ebay at this time. Ususally the reproductions of egyptian statues look tacky but this one is really quite well done, although I also came across a listing selling a photograph of the real statue and can say the reproduction is no comparison to the real thing but is the best reproduction of any statue I have seen so far.

Anyway it's still on ebay now if anyone wants it as I know their are some real AE fans on here who would appreciate this. It's hard to miss and the price is extremely low. Although the seller is only shipping to the US but I guess if you really wanted it and were proactive you would just buy it via a middleman like MyUS. It only comes up on the American ebay site.

I would purchase it but am just too lazy to be honest and had a recent bad experience with ebay that has kind of put me off it. I just had a item I sold to someone in the US via ebay get lost as USPS lost it, and I had to refund the buyer the money and also lost my item and know all about the dissappointment of international shipping. Apparently their has been a lot of snowstorms and rainstorms in the New York area, where my item was sent, and USPS has put a lot of mail on hold and it is backing up in storage facilities until the weather gets better but ebay sided with the buyer even though I provided tracking and I am so upset that I have lost my item, which was irreplacable and an rare expensive robot, and now I have no money or my item.

ebay is a joke. I have no sympathy for ebay.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrismackint wrote:
Although sligthly off topic during my search I just noticed their is a really authentic looking statue of the goddess selket on ebay at this time. Ususally the reproductions of egyptian statues look tacky but this one is really quite well done, although I also came across a listing selling a photograph of the real statue and can say the reproduction is no comparison to the real thing but is the best reproduction of any statue I have seen so far.

There are 3 such statues on E-Bay at the moment: 2 from the US and one from Egypt. The two American versions are clearly stated as limited editions that were allegedly issued during the 1977 Tutankhamun exhibition by the Edward Marshall Boehm Limited Issue series. You should research anything like this to see if the item has actually appreciated this much as they are asking very high prices ($495 and $600 USD each), and the info given on each listing is rather basic. Both are 17.25 inches high.

The Egyptian one is a larger piece (41 inches high), making it almost life-size, also selling for $599 USD. This item is different from the original (Selket faces right, while the original faces left). It's up to you if you like it enough to have to spend so much money for essentially an incorrect reproduction.

I have a 20+" version of a left-facing Selket, but I didn't pay anywhere near these prices: in fact, mine was a gift from an Egyptian vendor over 30 years ago. I admire it for its careful detail, although it is not a perfect reproduction.

During the 1977 exhibition, the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the exhibition sponsor at the time) issued several life-sized, point-by-point (measuring 2,000 points across the surface) reproductions of the Selket statue, for the overwhelming cost (in 1977) of $1850 USD. Several well-known VIP's of the time ordered/were given these reproductions, including Henry Kissinger, Anwar Sadat, and John Rockefeller.

You will probably never see these reproductions for sale on E-Bay, as even these reproductions would sell for over several thousand dollars these days and are more likely to end up in Christies or Sotheby's. Wink

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No those expensive ones are not what I was meaning. Sorry I should have posted the link. The one I was reffering to is this one by the Artisans Guild International. It is so far going for a $0.99 cent bid! Although the postage is more, but it is still under $40.00 which is reasonable considering it is a statue and they will have to pack it well to make sure it doesn't break which would incur a higher cost. Isn't the detail amazing?!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Egyptian-Goddess-Selket-statue-Artisans-Guild-International-No-Res/321321071936?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.RVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D4855540246655056063%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D20131017132637%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D131111025529#ht_42wt_1153

Sorry for going off topic.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the lost parcel I send to New York it has finally turned up and the person is really happy with it. The item I sold them was a Sony Rolly and are a lot of fun if you ever happen to come across one but I found I enjoyed having the money more lol.

Also did anyone here win the ebay statue I mentioned? Just curious and hope everything with the purchase worked out alright.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Antiquities Ministry Retrieves 950 Artefacts in Minya" (Al Tahrir News - TNN, October 30, 2014)
Quote:
"... The minister stated that Malawi museum will be re-opened on the governorate`s national holiday next March. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: