Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amarna Sunset: Review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Amarna Sunset: Review Reply with quote

I have put it upon myself to write my first ever book review on a book I have recently received from Amazon, the 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson. I thought it to be convenient timing to read a book on the Amarna period considering all the loose ends I have encountered while studying and learning about the Amarna period and hoped that it would give me some clarity and put some puzzle pieces back together about the Amarna period. Also I see that some aspects of the Amarna period have become the topic of conversation on this forum especially the topic on of whom the mummy of KV55 is...

The book is basically about the last pharaohs of the 18th dynasty known as the Amarna period, starting shortly around Amenhotep’s III rule with Queen Tiye through to the cult of Amarna and the rule of Horemheb.
It's a cleverly laid out book, considering the title, Amarna Sunset, has some relevance to the book and the chapters found within the book, certain chapters in the book are titled different stages of the sun from rise to sunset for example ‘The Noon Day sun’, also I find it relevant considering the whole Amarna cult played a big part with the god Aten, the sun god. Though unfortunately the book isn't as large or as long as I had hoped it to be, it's only a 138 paged book that is not including the Notes and Appendices and has a total of eight chapters, so for me it wasn't much of a read.

Negative: Also the author seemed to have asked more questions rather than answered them, which I suppose, worked to his advantage, considering it keeps the person, reading further into the book, to see if the question will be answered and then that unresolved question leads to another question which again the reader hopes will be answered and so on! Also it becomes apparent as you read further into the book that the book was published (unfortunately for the author) just before the DNA results for King Tutankhamun and his family were released, in 2009, so the concept for Smenkhkare being Tutankhamun's father isn't mentioned or concluded.

Positives: It is an enjoyable read and an understandable book to read, very fluent and I must admit, as much as the book deceives you in believing that you will get an answer, it makes you continue reading. Also it's a very educational book, so if you don't know too much about the Amarna period I suggest this book for you to read, though you do have to have some knowledge of hieroglyphs, if you want to understand some sentences in the book, other than that, it's a pleasant and rather educational read Smile
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a good book. like you said though, you have to keep in mind it was released months before the DNA tests, and i do wonder if the book would have changed much if released afterwards!
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you do have to wonder that, and in my opinion it would have made a dramatic difference with the information shared in the book and the authors opinion may have been altered after the release of the DNA results. The author does state that Tutankhamun's mother was in fact Neferteti in the book, which now is
known after the release of Dna results that Neferteti has been ruled out as being Tutankhamun's mother! So yes I do believe the DNA results would have altered the book.

Though considering the book was written and published before so, it is an informational and enjoyable read Smile
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also started to read this book but have been rather lazy and have yet to finish it. Embarassed I've been on a few tours with the author and wished I could remember what he said in relation to this book. Embarassed
For a fortune has no savour if one is gloomy.

Ptahhotep
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhesenamun wrote:
I've also started to read this book but have been rather lazy and have yet to finish it. Embarassed I've been on a few tours with the author and wished I could remember what he said in relation to this book. Embarassed

Don't worry I know how you feel, I have yet to finish 'How to read hieroglyphs: A step by step guide' By Collier and Manley, and I have had the book for two months now! Just so much studying and work consuming my time, I like to enjoy my spare time being lazy aha Wink

Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so could go off topic discussing laziness Laughing Embarassed
For a fortune has no savour if one is gloomy.

Ptahhotep
theegyptologyblogger
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for reviewing this book. egyptian rose. i have been debating for a long time. weather to get this book or not. but now i think i wil. l thanks for the review.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help Smile

meli189
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EgyptianRose wrote:
Ankhesenamun wrote:

Don't worry I know how you feel, I have yet to finish 'How to read hieroglyphs: A step by step guide' By Collier and Manley, and I have had the book for two months now! Just so much studying and work consuming my time, I like to enjoy my spare time being lazy aha Wink

Hello,

please,please let me know where did you get that book from ? I cannot find it anywhere online

thanks
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meli189 wrote:
EgyptianRose wrote:
... 'How to read hieroglyphs: A step by step guide' By Collier and Manley, ...

Hello, please,please let me know where did you get that book from ? I cannot find it anywhere online, thanks

Where is the problem? I found 188 offers on the internet, starting with 3,49 € (incl. shipping from the UK to Germany) ...

Greetings, Lutz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: