Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutankamun replica tomb
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Tutankamun replica tomb Reply with quote

Just spotted this on Jane Akshar's blog luxor news.

The Ministry of State Antiquities has agreed that the Factum Arte replica of KV62 should be erected at Carter House. Good news indeed.

The bad news is that this is only temporary and eventually it will be moved to the Grand Egyptian Museum at Giza. Let's hope that this idea falls by the wayside as siting the KV62 in Giza will destroy any context.

Personally I would not want to go all the way to Cairo to see something that belongs in the Luxor area.

A bad idea and with luck the Carter House site will be so popular that moving it will just no happen. Sad
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tutankamun replica tomb Reply with quote

A M Street wrote:
Just spotted this on Jane Akshar's blog luxor news.

The Ministry of State Antiquities has agreed that the Factum Arte replica of KV62 should be erected at Carter House. Good news indeed.

The bad news is that this is only temporary and eventually it will be moved to the Grand Egyptian Museum at Giza. Let's hope that this idea falls by the wayside as siting the KV62 in Giza will destroy any context.

Personally I would not want to go all the way to Cairo to see something that belongs in the Luxor area.

A bad idea and with luck the Carter House site will be so popular that moving it will just no happen. Sad

While I applaud the efforts of Factum Arte with their replicas (I went some years ago to a conference about their planned reproduction of Seti I's tomb (KV 17)), I do agree that the reproduced site should remain in the same area as the original.

One reason I say this is because of the orientation of royal tombs is a very important part of their meaning, and their association with the Qurn mountain is also important (some of the royal funerary texts mention the mountain as one the entrances into Amduat, the place of the dead (Griffis 2002: 44; Piankoff 1957: 194). Further, the way royal tombs of the King's Valley are oriented are important features of the belief system of the ancient Egyptians royals, as these beliefs often changed over the centuries (Griffis 2002: Table 2; Wilkinson 1993 and 1994: Tables 1 and 2).

So, while I realise the reproduction will NOT be set into the mountain, I do think they should be located in the same area, and as near as possible, in the same orientation as the original, so we can convey to those who visit these reproduced tombs all of the symbolism that the ancient Egyptians held dear.

References:

Griffis, K. 2002. Traversing the Far-Land: Post-Amarna through Early Ramesside Royal Tombs as Sacred Landscapes in Ancient Egypt. M.A. dissertation. Institute of Archaeology. University College London.

Piankoff, A. 1957. La Tomb de Ramses Ier. BIFAO 56: 189-200.

Wilkinson, R. H. 1993. The Paths of Re: Symbolism in the Royal Tombs of Wadi Biban el-Moluk. KMT 4/3: 43-51.

____________. 1994. Symbolic Location and Alignment in New Kingdom Royal Tombs and their Decoration. JARCE 31: 79-86.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
guideuk
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it going to be years -long ones - for that project. Another issue is Howard Carter`s house is still closed for visit, and when it is open - as it is 2 years behind schedule - there is no bus parking facility which is not a minor issue taking into consideration the typical scene of 45 cellulose summer noon time and a 30-bus convoy heading to visit the valley.

If they stop for the newly opened king Tutankhamun replica tomb, it means the valley of the kings entrance is blocked..
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guideuk wrote:
I think it going to be years -long ones - for that project. Another issue is Howard Carter`s house is still closed for visit, and when it is open - as it is 2 years behind schedule - there is no bus parking facility...

Carters Dig House was opened to the public as a museum (with an attached cafe) in November 2009. See AL-AHRAM, Issue No. 973, 19 - 25 November 2009, "News from Thebes" by Nevine El-Aref. There is also a big parking area, next to the building, big enough for several buses. Also, the road to the Valley of the Kings can be temporarily used as a parking area, since it is two lanes ... no problem. The installation of the replica of KV 62 - Tutankhamun is scheduled for January 2014.

Greetings, Lutz.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Tutahnkamun replica tomb Reply with quote

Yep, I agree with Lutz.

Carter House is open and if you look here:
http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6430&highlight=

you will see the plans that have been made to site the replica tomb(s). (Thanks Lutz)

With space allocated for coaches evident and room for plenty more I do not think that the entrance to the Valley will be blocked, it is far too important a site for that to happen. Smile
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, it must be noted that currently it is unclear if and when this vision (link to the other topic) will ever reality. Even the replica of KV 62 will probably remain only temporarily in Luxor. According to the current plan of the SCA, it should be seen sometime in the new Grand Museum (still under construction) at the Pyramids of Giza. But until then, nobody knows how many liters of water will flow down the Nile ... Malesch. Cool

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Replica of King Tutankhamun`s Tomb arrived in Luxor.

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digging Starts on the Tutankhamun Tomb Replica Project (Nigel J. Hetherington, 29.01.2014)

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minister of Antiquities decides to move King Tut facsimile to GEM in 2015 (Luxor Times, 25. Mar. 2014)

Greetings, Lutz.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a complete and utter waste of time and money.

It seems as if the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

If this is how the Antiquities service is going to be run then I shudder to think what Egypt's heritage will be like in five years time.

Ridiculous.
dashotep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the point of a repilica tomb, unless it is to take the pressure off the actual tomb. In that case it would make sense being near the Valley of the Kings. Another thought that occurs would be that it would make more sense for a replica of the tomb chambers to be located near where the actual treasures are housed. But then there would be little point including replicas of the treasures.

A replica tomb complete with replica objects could be built anywhere, there is no particular point it even being in Egypt. There doesn't seem much point going all that way to look at modern copies. Such replicas already exist in a number of places, although the accuracy and quality of the reproductions can be a bit variable. There's one such replica in Dorchester.

http://www.tutankhamun-exhibition.co.uk/index.html
dashotep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the point of a repilica tomb, unless it is to take the pressure off the actual tomb. In that case it would make sense being near the Valley of the Kings. Another thought that occurs would be that it would make more sense for a replica of the tomb chambers to be located near where the actual treasures are housed. But then there would be little point including replicas of the treasures.

A replica tomb complete with replica objects could be built anywhere, there is no particular point it even being in Egypt. There doesn't seem much point going all that way to look at modern copies. Such replicas already exist in a number of places, although the accuracy and quality of the reproductions can be a bit variable. There's one such replica in Dorchester.

http://www.tutankhamun-exhibition.co.uk/index.html
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original idea comes from the Theban Mapping Project, under the direction of Kent Weeks. The replicas of the tombs should take the visitor load from the Valley of the Kings and serve as a substitute in the case of a necessary closure of the tombs.

The models from "Factum Arte" are scientifically exact and can not be compared with the "kitsch" replicas a la Dorchester Museum. A replica of KV 62 in the new Grand Museum in Cairo would make, in my view, sense since the almost complete original tomb treasure is also located there. Llittle sense makes, of course and once again, the ill-considered acting from the Egyptian authorities...

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit for a king: Tutankhamun’s replica burial chamber (Peter Aspden - FT Magazine, April 17, 2014)
Quote:
"Almost a century after its discovery, the burial chamber of Tutankhamun is being recreated down to the minutest detail in the Egyptian desert ...

... April 30 sees the unveiling, in the very same Valley of the Kings, of a new version of Tutankhamun’s tomb: an exact facsimile of the chamber discovered 92 years ago by Carter. It will form the core of a new visitor centre, situated next to Carter’s old house, which may just help revolutionise cultural tourism. In a world where increasing numbers of people want to see objects that become more and more fragile due to their very exposure, the use of facsimiles looks like being the most promising way forward for sustainable tourism. ...

Greetings, Lutz.
dashotep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very high res photos of the walls of the burial chamber, along with images of the underlying wall, can be seen here, if this has not been shared already....

http://www.highres.factum-arte.org/Tutankhamun/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: