Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANCIENT EGYPTIANS DISCOVERED AUSTRALIA !!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: ANCIENT EGYPTIANS DISCOVERED AUSTRALIA !!! Reply with quote

ok, i was surfing throught the internet and stumbled upon a website of an australian guy who said that he took these pics of hieroglyphs somewhere outside of Sydney and i saw one of the pics, and shocking it had a cartouche that read Khufu.
It was Khufu's name inscripted in the stone in Australia. I think ancient Egyptians did discover Australia, maybe even before Khufu.

Any thoughts on this, i know that its been debated by many that the Egyptians were first to discover Australia and America, but now, i personally believe it as a fact does anyone else know any facts or belief on this ??
Psusennes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice idea, but top Egyptologists have dismissed the claims. The hieroglyphs are all weird and the inscriptions are not old enough. Some people still insist that they are real though.

Any links to websites you can provide?
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*yawn* Laughing
I don't believe a thing of it. Unless I see hard evidence of it, I'm pretty sure it's all a fake. Mind you, did you know they have 'boomerangs' in Egypt? Perhaps that's the 'proof' that the Egyptians went to Australia. or perhaps not.
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, unfortunately i dont have the linkto the site i saw, and the carvings that were in the pics were badly drawn adn weird looking. To me this might suggest that there was a colony maybe to Australia, as it didn't have alot of people cuz they obviously didnt have master artisans. What i know for sure is that Egyptians had boats that could go that far, and i mean if there is evidence of any sort of original Egyptian artifact, then there should be no question or doubt that they at least reached Australia and America first. I also heard there was evidence of an Egyptian mummy found in the Grand Canyon and many carvings in Mexico. This would suggest that they were first there as well. I also think that the Egyptians either influenced the Aztecs, Incas and Mayans or they actually are the Aztecs, Incas and Mayans. Egyptian influence is obvious in the Aztec pyramids.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other possibility is that it's a hoax.

The Egyptians were great ship builders. See for instance the article on Barques, Barges, and Byblos Boats on touregypt.

It's clear that the Egyptians had boats that were sea worthy, but it's not clear that they ever went beyond coastal navigation. In other words, I'm not sure there are records of them travelling to the open sea.

The Phoenicians are usually recognized as the greater sea faring nation.
Egypt never really conquered or explored much beyond their neighbors.

Quote:
Egyptian seagoing ships were inferior to those used by other peoples, despite remarkable feats achieved, among them the expeditions along the eastern coast of Africa during the reign of Hatshepsut at the beginning of the 15th century BCE and the crossing of the Indian Ocean with seventy metre long ships in the times of Ramses III 300 years later. From the 20th dynasty onwards the Egyptians began to copy ships used by their rivals.
Many trade and exploration ventures were initiated by the administration, such as the voyages to Punt under Hatshepsut and the circumnavigation of Africa by Phoenician sailors under Necho.

From Ships and Boats: The archaeological evidence on nefertiti.iwebland.com.

I have a very hard time believing that they made it all the way to South America and Australia. There are no records that describe voyages like that, and I know of no finds that suggest the presence of the Egyptians in the New World.

I know that once in a while they will claim to have found a mummy or other things in some strange locale, but then again they also claim to see Elvis at a local diner...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Australia thing is a hoax. I have no doubt of it. Annkeke is right about the nature of Egyptian sea travel. They did travel extensively throughout the Mediterranean and surounding waters, but always remained near the coast. In general the Egyptians did not like sea travel and did so only for the purposes of trade, such as with ancient Byblos and the timber it sold from Lebanon.

Besides, if we're talking the time of Khufu, this was a period before the Egyptians really navigated the seas. Yes, they went to Byblos even back then (and way before that!), but routes to Byblos allowed much safer coastal travel. There's no evidence the Egyptians ever had watercraft that could have survived the rigors of the open sea for any length of time.

As for the Egyptian mummy in the American southwest, you can dismiss that as well. Just bear in mind that the region in question is barren desert much like that of Egypt (and in fact much hotter and more hostile in some regions), and yet was inhabited by paelo-Indians thousands of years ago. Buried in their ancient graves, these paleo-Indians are occasionally quite nicely mummified themselves.

I get annoyed by the fringe theories that the Egyptians and Mayans or Aztecs were somehow related just because these people erected pyramids or pyramid-like structures. By the time the Mayans or Aztecs were building their great edifices, the Egyptian civilization was already long gone. There's no connection. Both built pyramids simply because in ancient times, that was about the only way to erect huge buildings.
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, when i first heard such theories, i snubbed them myself and classifeid them as hoaxoes. But, all i can say about Ancient Egyptians is that you can never say never, maybe we have yet to uncover major evidences that would support this, i mean when we talk about a civilization that started 7000 years ago -and still going on in my opinion but it might just be going through our 4th or 5th intermediate age- we can only imagine of what ancient Egyptians did, who knows, i mean one can never underestimate.

I think they also found rolls of tobacco and boomerangs in Egypt as well, and as we all know tobacco is only grown in the Americas.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, I seriously doubt that the Egyptians travelled to such places. Sorry to sound closed minded but it sounds a bit far fetched. And please don't mention Disney Land... Shocked

I have heard of the cocaine mummy, but I have a feeling that it could have been either a hoax, or a misinterpretation, or even contamination from modern sources (though drug addicts touching a mummy seems a bit iffy to me Laughing ) but there is no tobacco in Egypt. Also, the boomerangs were straight throwing sticks, and they didn't return to the owner like Australian ones.
Psusennes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur- the Egyptian boats do not even have sails. They prefered to hop from visible landmass to visible landmass, or skirt along coastlines (like most other ancient civillisations). I find the idea interesting, but no more. Besides, the Egyptians were terrified of open water- the primeval waters of endless chaos that the Egyptians belived surrounded their country would probably not have been a great place to visit. Smile
Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong I also believe that the Egyptians weren't keen on travelling at sea but on the other hand we must not forget the boatgraves and the rock drawings with all the boats. The people who drew these migrated from the Red Sea over Land to the Nile in very early times.

And... Thor Heyerdahl proved it would have been possible while he crossed the Atlantic with his ship RA II.

But I do not believe the Egyptian came from or did go to America. Or to say it differently I don't believe they crossed the Atlantic.
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i have read about Thor's expedition with the Ra II. I am not saying that the Egyptians actually went their on purpose. I am suggesting that maybe a big tradeship that was going on its normal route trading in the Mediterranean and was therefore sent off-course until reaching the Americas, and in turn, the survivors would make amateur carvings, and maybe even mummies, and expanded into a colony. Although I am not taking out the fact that there was maybe an exploratory fleet, but it is unlikely in my opinion. Like the Vikings accidentally made a colony in North America that was abandoned in some time. It sounds very reasonable to me, and almost inevitable. Although, I do acknowldge Egyptian relative weakness in massive exploration, but they were still good navigators.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think those boat carvings were carved by invaders from the east. There is evidence that boat imagery is very old-from about 4000 BC or older-and was found in predynastic sites in Egypt. Plus, these boats were probably. religious/metaphorical and represented the sunboat as opposed to actual representations of people invading Egypt from the red sea.

And another thing. There are Inca mummies in Peru and other parts of south America. But that doesn't mean that they are connected with ancient Egypt-the Inca mummies were mummified in a different way and (i think) they are usually of sacrificial victims. And there are also natural bog-preserved 'mummies' that were found in Europe. again, totally different to Egypt.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, posted too fast.

I'm not sure how good the Egyptian navigators were. I know they had sails though-on the Nile the used sails. But the atlantic is pretty vast, you know, and they were pretty insular people. unless there was an Egyptian boat that went off course and got stuck in a current and landed in America lol but they wouldn't have settled in the new land.

I really don't believe the Aztec people, Inca people etc were descended from the Egyptians. Their pyramids are totally different in shape and function to the Egyptian ones-they were used as sacrificial temples/altars, the Egyptian ones were tombs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: