Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egyptian Coronation Ritual

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awesomeperson
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Egyptian Coronation Ritual Reply with quote

Could someone explain the process of the coronation of a pharaoh or know somewhere that I could find a detailed description? I really cannot find a good detailed description anywhere, and I need to understand this process for a project I am doing.
Frater0082
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the board
awesomeperson
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel welcomed Very Happy
Frater0082
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As u should
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Egyptian Coronation Ritual Reply with quote

awesomeperson wrote:
Could someone explain the process of the coronation of a pharaoh or know somewhere that I could find a detailed description? ...

The best and most detailed attempts to reconstruct the course of the coronation ceremony I know, you can find at...

Marie-Ange Bonhême ; Annie Forgeau : Pharao, Sohn der Sonne - Die Symbolik des Ägyptischen Herrschers. - [French original: Pharaon, les secrets du pouvoir. - Paris : Colin, 1988. - 349 p.]. - Düsseldorf / Zürich : Artemis, 1989. - ISBN : 3-7608-1017-9. - 299 p. - pp. 212 - 253.

Christiane Desroches Noblecourt : Tutanchamun - Die Entdeckung des Alten Ägypten. - München : United Soft-Media, 1999. - ISBN : 3-8032-9438-X. - 1 CD-ROM.

A compilation of the sources (images / texts) you can find, for example, in...

Garry J. Shaw : The Pharaoh - Life at Court and on Campaign. - London : Thames & Hudson, 2012. - 224 p. - pp. 64 - 69.

Greetings, Lutz.
awesomeperson
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Lutz. Very Happy Unfortunately, I don't speak German or French, but that English book is in a library near my place of residence. Thank you very much. Very Happy
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reconstruction of the sequence as to find in Bonhême / Forgeau or Desroches Noblecourt is not known to me from the English language literature. Here are a few English articles dealing at least with individual aspects...

Goebs, Katja : King as God and God as King - Colour, Light, and Transformation in Egyptian Ritual. - In: Palace and Temple - Architecture-Decoration-Ritual - 5. Symposium zur Ägyptischen Königsideologie / 5th Symposium on Egyptian Royal Ideology, Cambridge, July, 16th-17th, 2007 KSG Königtum, Staat und Gesellschaft früher Hochkulturen 4,2. - Wiesbaden, 2011. - pp. 57 - 101.

Shorter, Alan Wynn : Reliefs showing the coronation of Ramesses II. - In: Journal of Egyptian Archaeology - JEA 20. - 1934. - pp. 18-19, 1 pl.

Matthieu, Militza : A note on the coronation rites in ancient Egypt. - In: Journal of Egyptian Archaeology - JEA 16. - 1930. - pp. 31 - 32, 1 pl.

Liszka, Kate : Tracing Stylistic Changes Within Coronation Scenes. - In: Proceedings of the Ninth International Congress of Egyptologists - Actes du neuvième congrès international des égyptologues - Volume II. - [Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 150,2]. - Leuven, Paris, Dudley, 2007. - pp. 1151 - 1161.

Youssef, Ahmed 'Abd El-Hamid : The Coronation of King Haremheb Re-Read. - In: Supplément aux Annales du Service des Antiquités de l'Égypte - CASAE Cahier 34,2. - Cairo, 2007. - pp. 397 - 398.

Gardiner, Alan H. : The Coronation of King Haremhab. - In: Journal of Egyptian Archaeology - JEA 39. - 1953. - pp. 13 - 31, 1 pl.

I'll look over the next few days my in question coming English literature again. If I find something I'll post it here.

Greetings, Lutz.
awesomeperson
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lutz. I shall now proceed to do well on my project. Very Happy
awesomeperson
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how Egyptian coronation rituals relate to the orogins of theatre? Idea
awesomeperson
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, is the 'Circuit of the White Walls' and the ritual circumambulation of the city the same thing? If they are not, does anyone know the difference?
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesomeperson wrote:
Does anyone know how Egyptian coronation rituals relate to the orogins of theatre? Idea

See

Gilliam, R. 2005. Performance and Drama in Ancient Egypt. Duckworth Egyptology. London: Duckworth Ltd.

Gundlach, R. 1987. Kultspiel und königliches Jubiläum - zum Theater der Pharaonen. In G. Holtus, Ed., Theaterwesen und dramatische Literatur. Beiträge zur Geschichte des Theaters: 47-74. Tübingen: A. Francke Verlag GmbH.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesomeperson wrote:
... the ritual circumambulation of the city ...

I have never heard ... Do you have a source for this ritual? A Gut Feeling, I would say it is simply just a description of "Circuit of the White Walls" in other words?

Greetings, Lutz.
awesomeperson
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have never heard ... Do you have a source for this ritual? A Gut Feeling, I would say it is simply just a description of "Circuit of the White Walls" in other words?

It is from this:

Garry J. Shaw : The Pharaoh - Life at Court and on Campaign. - London : Thames & Hudson, 2012. - 224 p. - pp. 64 - 69.

However, I believe you are right. I just wasn't sure, but reading it again makes it easier to see that they are probably the same thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: