Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caution with private satellite phone in Egypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Caution with private satellite phone in Egypt Reply with quote

In a German-speaking travel forum a member told about his extremely unpleasant experiences in Egypt. Reason was probably the possession of a satellite phone.

It was new to me that this is not allowed for tourists in Egypt and, as this case is showing, that it may lead to arrest, deportation and entry ban.

Greetings, Lutz.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew, that's nasty.

I would have thought that if someone was wealthy enough to be able to afford a satellite phone, they aren't cheap, then the authorities would have been keen to have them in the country spending some of their money.

On the other hand how many people have such a phone? Uusually journalists or members of an NGO. So maybe not so welcome to those in power.

Looks like paranoia is coming back into fashion in Egypt. Crying or Very sad
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just read WSAlex's posts, in translation, and it reads like a passage from a John LeCarre novel.

Horrifying does not really describe what the guy was put through, and I'm glad that nothing worse happened. Though it is really sad that he has apparently been barred from the country for doing something that may not even be illegal.

I will, in future, be even nicer to those characters in the leather jackets when next in Egypt.

One last thought. I don't think that I would chose to get through security like he did!
StarsStripes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand, why were the authorities so sensitive about his satalite phone?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarsStripes wrote:
I don't understand, why were the authorities so sensitive about his satalite phone?

As far as I know satellite phones it is difficult or impossible to monitor / listen. Dictatorships have their problems with...

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: