Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aidan Dodson : Amarna Sunrise (2014)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Aidan Dodson : Amarna Sunrise (2014) Reply with quote

Aidan Dodson : Amarna Sunrise - Egypt from Golden Age to Age of Heresy. - Cairo : American University Press, 2014. - ISBN : 978 977 416 633 4. - 288 pp., 122 b/w illus., 6 maps.
Quote:
"The author of Amarna Sunset now looks at how Akhenaten's experiment with monotheism began. The latter part of the fifteenth century bc saw Egypt’s political power reach its zenith, with an empire that stretched from beyond the Euphrates in the north to much of what is now Sudan in the south. The wealth that flowed into Egypt allowed its kings to commission some of the most stupendous temples of all time, some of the greatest dedicated to Amun-Re, King of the Gods. Yet a century later these temples lay derelict, the god’s images, names, and titles all erased in an orgy of iconoclasm by Akhenaten, the devotee of a single sun-god. This book traces the history of Egypt from the death of the great warrior-king Thutmose III to the high point of Akhenaten’s reign, when the known world brought gifts to his newly-built capital city of Amarna, in particular looking at the way in which the cult of the sun became increasingly important to even ‘orthodox’ kings, culminating in the transformation of Akhenaten’s father, Amenhotep III, into a solar deity in his own right."

Greetings, Lutz.
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already on my Amazon Wish List. Wink

But does Dodson ever have time to sleep? He seems to have a book coming out every other day! Laughing
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is certainly very skeptical of the DNA tests, and has ideas on the three inhabitants of KV35 side chamber Jc that some may raise an eyebrow at.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon Germany has given as estimated delivery date : July 16, 2014 - July 21, 2014...

Greetings, Lutz.
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very detailed, reads more like a paper than a popular history. Not surprising considering Dodson's egyptological pedigree. Mr Dodson painstakingly reviews the archeological, forensic and DNA evidence available to date on the first two thirds of the eighteenth dynasty. The appendices take almost half of the book and are a wealth of info. The notes and bibliography alone make it worth reading. Interestingly, he has the same reservations about the conclusions of the 20210 DNA findings that Jo Marchant does, and makes the astute observation that lineal first cousin intermarriage could create the same results.

What the book is not, is a fast page turner. It's so dense and thoroughly footnoted that only those who love the minutiae of ancient history are going to find any entertainment value in this book. That said, I'm sure it will be a good seller because of the focus and the credentials of the author.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received this book as a christmas gift, and although it includes a lot of useful information, images and in particular background on the wider royal courts from Amenhotep II to Akhenaten, some of the conclusions reached are hard for me to agree with.

1) Art styles and the co-regency - Dodson does not believe in a co-regency between Amenhotep III and Amenhotep IV. Fine, however when discussing the development of art in both reigns he points out that some of Amenhotep IV's art initially harks back to a style used prior to Amenhotep III's first jubilee, before "catching up" with the years 30 - 38/9 style in the first 8 years of Amenhotep IV/Akhenaten's reign. This seems like a contradiction and far from convincing the reader of his argument, has the opposite effect!

2) DNA - Dodson has to have a really convoluted theory to fit KV35YL being Nefertiti yet not being a King's Daughter. His theory is that Nefertiti is the daughter of Ay, who needs to be a brother of Tiye, and that Nefertiti's mother is an unknown sister of Amenhotep III. This, he says, means that KV35YL (Nefertiti) and KV55 (he thinks Akhenaten) are first cousins. This seems very shaky to me but at least avoids the problem of there being an unknown sister-wife of Akhenaten.

3) KV55 - Dodson believes this mummy is Akhenaten, and uses some of the same arguments as Lutz in pointing out the innacuracies in the aging of mummies. Unfortunately, and he points this out himself, that these studies actually support KV55 being younger than thought (around 1Cool. Like the points he makes around the co-recency this makes his logic fail to stand up. Elsewhere Dodson seems to age down Akhenaten, pointing out depictions of him with Tiye in the first 2 regnal years, promoting the idea that the king will have still been in his 20s when he died (therefore is KV55).

Worthwhile book, and good to see actual photos of several monuments and inscriptions rather than the line drawings that often appear.

Paul
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karnsculpture wrote:
This, he says, means that KV35YL (Nefertiti) and KV55 (he thinks Akhenaten) are first cousins. This seems very shaky to me but at least avoids the problem of there being an unknown sister-wife of Akhenaten.

Definetly shaky, and he really should ask help from a geneticist to support this statement. And, of course, no geneticist would agree with him. The key lays in the foetuses and their mother, KV21A, who clearly descends from Amenhotep III and Thuya, but is not KV55's and KV35YL's daughter.

Besides, the alleles that KV35YL shares with Amenhotep III are the same shared by KV55, making her a daughter or a direct descendant of Amenhotep III and not of a sister of his.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
karnsculpture wrote:
This, he says, means that KV35YL (Nefertiti) and KV55 (he thinks Akhenaten) are first cousins. This seems very shaky to me but at least avoids the problem of there being an unknown sister-wife of Akhenaten.

Definetly shaky, and he really should ask help from a geneticist to support this statement. And, of course, no geneticist would agree with him. The key lays in the foetuses and their mother, KV21A, who clearly descends from Amenhotep III and Thuya, but is not KV55's and KV35YL's daughter.

Besides, the alleles that KV35YL shares with Amenhotep III are the same shared by KV55, making her a daughter or a direct descendant of Amenhotep III and not of a sister of his.

he did release the first amarna book not long before the release of the DNA study. i do wonder if he'd the book back, if he would have changed anything. i think he tried to find a way to save face with his theories, either that or he can't let go of a theory once there is evidence it's wrong.
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylejustin wrote:

he did release the first amarna book not long before the release of the DNA study.

I was unfair to him, anyway.
evarelap
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylejustin wrote:
Robson wrote:
karnsculpture wrote:

he did release the first amarna book not long before the release of the DNA study. i do wonder if he'd the book back, if he would have changed anything. i think he tried to find a way to save face with his theories, either that or he can't let go of a theory once there is evidence it's wrong.

Both Marc Gabolde and Aidan Dodson cant let go of their theory that KV35YL is Nefertiti, both becoming DNA experts overnight it seems. Or maybe they just don't want to make an ass out of themselves like Joan Fletcher did a few years ago when she said KV35YL was Nefertiti because she found a wig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: