Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fox's Hieroglyph TV drama - cancelled
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what Egyptian movie you mean, the novel was written in the 1940's.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made an error. I was thinking of "The Night of Counting the Years" for some reason..
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are guys dressed like Romans (and the actors look it too), a long haired cat, and an extra dressed in what looks like a pink boa. If not for Akhenaten, I might not even think this movie was set in the New Kingdom.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's really just for the "masses" who expect all AE to wear a nemes etc. I never understood why they thought to portray so many people in the ancient world, no matter what civilisation, as wearing these broad leather waist and cross belts with huge studs in them, like they were all some sort of dimwitted "Conan" barbarians, and this continues in more modern depictions. Perhaps one day some producer will realise the potential to make a film about AE that is not some embarrasing joke. We had "Gladiator" and "Alexander", not without faults of course but much better than the older films, so why not "Megiddo" or "Thutmose" or "Ramesses". You visit any of the major museums, and the AE galleries are packed with people, while Rome and Greece are far less crowded, the AE documentaries seem to attract a larger audience than for other periods, yet movie producers ignore AE except for a fantasy like "Stargate", and I would have thought the popularity of that film and then the TV show would have taught them that the public like AE. Oh well, we can only hope....
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Stargate movie/ show. The only alien/ Egypt association I will except (but I consider that alternate history). For AE movies it seems like everything is either Cleopatra, biblical references (Exodus under whatever Pharaoh), or something supernatural (mummies returning to 'life'). I just what a good, well cast movie about something that isn't so overdone.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to the entire film "Faroan" from 1966. Polish with English subtitles. Doesn't have the effects or color of "Cleopatra" or "Ten Commandments", but it does have superiror acting, story, costumes and location filming. Best not to read the hate fest of comments under the video though. Seems anthing about AE on Youtube is now infested with this screaming hatred...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDUgigISy98
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the film Sphinx (1981) yesterday. It's about a female egyptologist researching a paper on a 19th Dynasty architect called Merneptah. It's a pretty good thriller but I was impressed by the flashback scenes to the reign of Seti I and to the opening of Tutankhamun's tomb by Carter and Canarvon.

Also amusing to note that the place where the heroine ends up finding something is exactly the spot where Hawass went digging a few years ago!

The film also includes several scenes shot in the Cairo museum, Serapeum, VOK and surrounding villages - so there's a lot to enjoy.

Nice little detail - in the scenes set in the 19th Dynasty they use the king's throne names rather than their birth names.

http://youtu.be/p_KgWY_qhkY
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, a new one to me. I watched a few minutes in to get a taste and I see what you mean about throne names instead of birth names, a nice touch. And the person responsible for the subtitles knows to turn Nebkheperura into Tutankhamun for the "masses"...
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the movie links. Hope to watch them soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: