Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nefertari, Queen Consort of Rameses ii

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emilyclarinet
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Nefertari, Queen Consort of Rameses ii Reply with quote

[size=18][/size
I have been researching a lot about Nefertari over the past year and have found her a to be a good topic for discussion. Her family background is unknown, but Rameses loved her very much so she probably wasn't just picked to be his wife at random. There are poems on Nefertari's tomb walls written by Rameses and many monuments to her. it is also unclear who all of Nefertari's children were. If anyone has been to Nefertari's tomb I would love to know as much as I can about it. I'm planning on going to Egypt when I graduate high school but right now Nefertari's tomb is closed. thank you for reading! Smile
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you still know / have ... ?

Miguel Angel Corzo & Mahasti Afshar [Ed.] : Art and Eternity - The Nefertari Wall Paintings Conservation Project 1986–1992 (1993)

John K. McDonald : House of Eternity - The Tomb of Nefertari (1996)

The Getty Conservation Institute : Tomb of Nefertari (1986–1992)

It is possible to visit the tomb with a special ticket from the SCA Cairo for a special price ... SCA - Sites:
Quote:
"... The Tomb of Nefertari is closed to the public. For special permission to visit (for a fee), contact the Commercial and Event Permits Office. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Emilyclarinet
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-You Lutz! I'm glad to hear I may be able to visit the tomb. I will check out the links right now. Very Happy
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCA - Rules and Regulations and Downloadable Forms : Special Fees for Sites
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emilyclarinet wrote:
Thank-You Lutz! I'm glad to hear I may be able to visit the tomb. I will check out the links right now. Very Happy

Lucky you, from what I gather it costs and arm and a leg to get into QV 66, unless of course you have royal or high diplomatic connections.

A good candidate for a Factum Arte replica I think. (For the little people.)
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefertari is an interesting figure, she seems to have been married to Ramesses before his rise to the throne, she won't have been a "nobody" so the lack of reference to her parents is intriguing. However, likewise we don't have information about Isisnofret's parents, so it is possible that for both queens it was not regarded as essential to name their parents.

Possible links to the 18th Dynasty may be made if the DNA teats on Merneptah and KV5 remains (if possible) were actually conducted and published (as was the plan announced by Hawass in 2010/11).

That knob or cane topper with Ay's cartouche supposedly found in her tomb is interesting, but as the tomb was plundered in antiquity we can't know for certain how it came to be there.
Emilyclarinet
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: A M Street Reply with quote

I think that I can go to the tomb even though the price looks high. I won't be going for a few years to come but I am saving every penny I have and my parents are funding most of the trip. Why must the queen I love the most have such a hard tomb to go to? Sad i know it's because of all the delicate artwork. I studied it for hours yesterday in different pictures online. If you know any other tombs of the Rameses family that are easier to visit I would love to know. Smile
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Egypt: Aida and Nefertari's Tomb to Relaunch Tourism Reply with quote

Egypt: Aida and Nefertari's Tomb to Relaunch Tourism (ANSAmed - 12 September, 2014)
Quote:
"... Zazou also announced two other initiatives likely to attract great interest: the opening during the month of October, for a limited time, of the tomb of Queen Nefertari, wife of Pharaoh Ramses II, known as "the beauty among the beautiful", as well as the inauguration of itineraries retracing the footsteps of Jesus and his family during their flight to Egypt. ... The temporary opening of the marvellous tomb of Nefertari will also be carried out with Italy's cooperation and, in particular, with the involvement of the Egyptian Museum of Turin. It was actually the museum director, archaelogist Ernesto Schiapparelli, who found in 1904, what is nowadays considered one of the most beautiful and most fragile tombs - especially prone to deterioration and ransacks - of the Valley of Queens. The third element in the minister's tourism relaunch are journey's on Jesus' footsteps, following the roads he may have taken during the 42 months in which he fled Herod's persecution and found refuge in Egypt. They will begin in October with a stop in Coptic Cairo and will continue through christian monasteries in the desert, along the Nile and finally reach Minya and Assiut. ..."

An unofficial source in Luxor called as date October 15 to 25. However, that would be really very briefly...

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Egypt Reopens Tomb as Tourism Falls" (The Art Newspaper - Garry Shaw, Conservation, Issue 263, Published online: 18 December 2014)
Quote:
"Egypt plans to reopen the royal tomb of Nefertari, a wife of Ramesses II (who reigned from 1279BC to 1213BC), on a regular basis after it was closed for eight years because of concerns over the condition of the site’s wall paintings.

The burial site in the Valley of the Queens was opened for ten days in mid-October to celebrate the 110th anniversary of its discovery by the Italian archaeologist Ernesto Schiaparelli. Speaking at an event in London last month, Egypt’s minister of tourism, Hisham Zazou, proposed that the site remains open. “I want to make sure [this period] is expanded, so it is open every month,” Zazou said, adding that the tomb would be open one week a month to a limited number of tourists. Access was restricted to 150 visitors before it was closed in 2006. ...

... The Getty has monitored the tomb regularly over the years, and according to a spokesman for the institute, there has been “no apparent deterioration as a result of visitors or due to humidity from visitors”. There has been physical damage, however, which the Getty has “ascribed to filming in the tomb”."

Greetings, Lutz.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Good news Reply with quote

This is good news if it comes to pass.

One thing I will be watching for is the calendar of the opening hours. I would hate to be in Luxor and find that I had missed the opening by a day!

The other thing is the admission cost. If it is on a par with KV62 then I'd pay. If they hike the price above that sadly much as I want to see the tomb I'd probably give it a miss.

I do take the point about the irresponsible use of flash photography. This is stated as the reason for the ban on cameras in the VoK, if indeed the ban is still in place. So will the VoQ be the same?

A sore point as far as I'm concerned as it spoiled my plans for a trek over the Theban Hills from the Valley to Deir el Medina.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Good news Reply with quote

A M Street wrote:
... One thing I will be watching for is the calendar of the opening hours. I would hate to be in Luxor and find that I had missed the opening by a day! ...

Yes, one has to watch this news, if there comes more info I will post it. I personally still hope on the opening of KV 22 - Amenhotep III. in the Westvalley for the public. If this would happen I leave everything and sitt in the plane. Cool Neseret is in Egypt in January. Most of the time in Abydos, but maybe she can also get and post some informations about this?

A M Street wrote:
... I do take the point about the irresponsible use of flash photography. This is stated as the reason for the ban on cameras in the VoK, if indeed the ban is still in place. So will the VoQ be the same? ...

It is officially forbidden all over Egypt to take pictures inside an ancient tomb since years now, also without flash... The bigger problem when you walk from Deir el-Medinah to the Valley of the Kings is the ticket for the Valley. You have to buy it at the ticket office there, and only there. It allowes you to visit 3 tombs and you have to show it before you enter a tomb. So it is better to walk the other way, from the Valley to Deir el-Medinah and down to Medineth Habu to have some drink and food there, watching the sun going down ... Smile

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Good news Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
A M Street wrote:
... One thing I will be watching for is the calendar of the opening hours. I would hate to be in Luxor and find that I had missed the opening by a day! ...

Yes, one has to watch this news, if there comes more info I will post it. I personally still hope on the opening of KV 22 - Amenhotep III. in the Westvalley for the public. If this would happen I leave everything and sitt in the plane. Cool Neseret is in Egypt in January. Most of the time in Abydos, but maybe she can also get and post some informations about this?

Actually, most of the time in West Bank this time - only a few days in Abydos.

The usual source I use for dates/times and price on the West Bank is outdated, but may update by new years (they usually keep this site updated). The high season starts in December, so by January, I would expect Nefertari to be open in January, so I'll check.

I have to wonder if they would keep the admission as high as before ($2000 USD was a bit of outrageous, really), but I doubt it will drop to Tutankhamun levels (though those have risen over the years as well). Nefertari (QV 66) is a product of major conservation work, so I doubt they will allow just anyone the means to access it.

If I can, I will find out and report back. Watch this space. Wink

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: