Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New film "Exodus: Gods and Kings"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: New film "Exodus: Gods and Kings" Reply with quote

Only heard about this today. Clearly a remake of "The Ten Commandments", with Christian Bale as "Moses". I guess with todays CGI it will look good in the effects department, but just this short trailer shows it to be a film watched only for popcorn eating frivolous entertainment. AE riding on the backs of horses at the time of this "Exodus", hmm.
[url]Exodus: Gods and Kings[/url]
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJq7MBa7jHY
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, but I wish the film-makers would get away from using Seti and Ramesses II as the background for Exodus stories.

If anything, the two periods which fit the story better are the 2nd Intermediate Period or the post-Merneptah time of confusion with Amenmesse and Seti II.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least it won't be delving into some of the more bizarre nonsense, and I cannot resist this quote from Ahmed Osman.

[quote]Once they saw the scepter of royal authority and Akhenaten had performed the sed-festival rituals, the wise men "fell down prostrate in adoration," as the Koran puts it, confirming that his was the superior right to the throne. However, Pa-Ramses, who controlled the army, used his power to frustrate the verdict of the priests and elders and retained the right to rule by a kind of coup d'etat. Ahkenaten (Moses) was left with no choice but to flee from Egypt with his followers - the Israelites and those Egyptians who had embraced the Atenist faith. So began the Exodus, the first stage of what would prove a long journey to the Promised Land of Canaan.[quote]

But yes, I think by switching off critical faculties before watching this film means it could probably be enjoyed for it's effects. Not sure why Ridley Scott has made AE look rather gothic though. Why turn a land of light into a land of darkness, odd.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This paper is quite interesting, it links the expunged figure Mehy from reliefs of Seti I with that of Moses. I think the movie is going to follow a similar plot.

http://www.egyptologyforum.org/EMP/Mehy.pdf
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is interesting, and mirrors the earlier seemingly unusual transfer of power from Amuhotep II to Thutmose IV, when it seems the throne should have passed to his elder brother, Amunhotep C, and a similar attempt to erase him from history occured. Hm, well it can be argued that the Exodus comes from folk tales of the expulsion of the Hyksos, then, since the 19th century in our time, it is generally believed, by those who have believe in such things, that Exodus occured during the time of Ramesses II. Now, I'm stretching timelines somewhat, but you could say that the reign of Thutmose IV lies between these two alleged times for Exodus, so, in good Hollywood style, lets put Exodus during reign of Thutmose IV and the missing Amunhotep C as "Moses", or, well, no, too bizarre... Smile
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, why? I believe I stated my feeling about films like this in another thread. Batman is Moses? Uh.. I don't mind that really. Please stop using Ramsses II. I know he had a long reign, but that doesn't mean that happened during it. Why does everyone assume he is that Pharaoh?
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue about locate the Exodus in the 18th/19th Dynasty is that the Hebrews should run away from Egypt to the Egyptian Empire, which is quite bizarre.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishfull thinking, misinterpretation, proto Egyptologists interested not so much in Egypt for itself, but in how they could prove Bible stories. It's Hollywood, they know that Ramesses II is a person known to the public, mostly because of previous Hollywood films of course, so the big name has to be used to fill the seats.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
My issue about locate the Exodus in the 18th/19th Dynasty is that the Hebrews should run away from Egypt to the Egyptian Empire, which is quite bizarre.

Shh, you'll ruin the story. As the saying goes, "Never let the facts interfere with a good story"...
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikon wrote:
Robson wrote:

Shh, you'll ruin the story. As the saying goes, "Never let the facts interfere with a good story"...

I should have that quote in mind anytime I go see a Hollywood 'history' film.

I'm a little annoyed movies with Ramsess II don't show him fighting Hittites.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been known to annoy the nearest and dearest by sighing and pointing out the mistakes on any kind of historical drama. I secretly enjoy this, but I don't let on when later I look something up and find out I'm wrong. Laughing
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to another channel with the trailer as the video is removed by user in the previous link. Sadly, and predictably, the comments under this video are full of hate. What the hell is wrong with those sad people...
[/img]http://s52.***/i137/1407/9d/860c91133427.gif[img]
[/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZPMU9riKl4[url]
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZPMU9riKl4
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: