Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sale of the Sekhemka Statue Currently in Northampton Museum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"New AIA Statement on the St. Louis Society" (04.11.2014)

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW....

The other night, night at a synagogue, we had, as a guest speaker, the Hon. David Mackintosh of the Northampton Borough Council. In case you don’t recall, he’s the one who suggested the sale of the Sekhemka statue and pushed for it, despite protests and criticism by the arts and archaeological world. So, my husband asked him (yes, at my urging), if he felt he’d learned anything from that experience.

We both hoped that he would say something along the lines of , “Well, if I had it to do all over again, I would not have sold the statue”, or “would have worked more to save it,” or some such. But, no: rather, he gave that old saw that there was “nothing else than could have been done,” citing the cost of insurance, lack of security, need for funds, etc.

I’d had just about enough of that, so I raised my hand, and after the synagogue president identified me as “someone who had a vested interest” in the issue, as an Egyptologist, I said, as follows:

a) The story about insurance is a flim-flam: NO museum “insures” its collections. insurance is only sought when a museum has an exhibition of another museum’s items, and has to insure against loss/damage/etc. A museum must take steps to secure its items, true, but when a security company reviewed the Northampton Museum’s encasement of the Sekhemka statue around 2 years ago, they stated that both the security and case were more than adequate for the job;

b) When all was said and done, the Northampton Museum lost more than it gained from the sale of Sekhemka: when you consider that about 30% of the sale price had to be paid to Christies as a Seller’s premium, with another £6 million paid to the Marquess of Northampton, then all the Northampton Museum ended up with was about £5 million – or less – and they lost more than that when they were thrown out of the Museums Association, censured by the Arts Council England, and lost out also on Heritage Lottery Fund monies which was probably worth far more than the £5 million they got from the sale; and finally,

c) The reputation of the museum, and indeed the Northampton Borough Council, has been tainted by this sale, as their actions opened the flood gates for the St. Louis AIA Harageh Treasure sale in the US. Further, I’ve heard a number of people tell me, when I mention “Northampton,” they know it as it “being that place that sold off part of their museum collection.” So, as I noted, Macintosh had not helped Northampton’s reputation or assisted its culture and arts in the least. I asked Mackintosh how he, in all good stead, could be so hypocritical as to claim he cared about the “arts and culture” of Northampton, while he was indeed selling off ancient cultural items of Northampton just to make a buck!

As I made each point, Mackintosh sweated bullets. He then tried to say well, some of that’s not true, but then never said what wasn’t true, and I told him that it was true, as I had checked MY facts before saying them. When he said nothing, I also said he was wrong to say that “nothing else could have been done,” because after all, the Leeds Museum had offered to take Sekhemka off Northampton Museum’s hands, but the Borough Council refused. I then said it was apparent that, rather than culture on their mind, the Council had indeed become greedy and lost to the people of Northampton an important and unique archaeological artefact.

I was sure I was going to get dressed down by the synagogue elders after the meeting was over, but instead, I got rather encouraging words, and even a few slaps on the back for telling Mackintosh off. No one in Northampton liked that sale. Now, here the man is, begging for our votes for Parliament?

So, if you can vote, remember that this fellow, David Mackintosh is running: does he deserve to get into Parliament after basically devastating the county's cultural artefacts? I'll let YOU decide.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Iker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I’d had just about enough of that, so I raised my hand....

And very well done. We need much more of this kind of spirit . Many more need to raise their hands like you did and take a stand on what is happening to this country.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Katherine, my very greatest respect. Other Egyptologists can take quite an example here... pharaohthumb

Greetings, Lutz.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Good Reply with quote

Katherine, well said.
I hope that your dressing down will have got home though knowing politicians probably not.
It did need to be said however.

Thank you.
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, for publicly setting the record straight!

I am appalled that St.Louis is taking up this awful practice and I fear for many smaller museums in the States once their boards realize they can away with something like this. Especially in the climate of "who needs history, science, facts, or culture" that's sadly prevailing right now.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"STL archaeology group ordered to change leaders" (11:02 p.m. CST January 12, 2015)

"Embattled STL archaeology board staying put" (7:58 a.m. CST January 14, 2015)

"St. Louis Archaeological Group In Antiquities Sale Controversy Defies National Organization" (4:41 p.m. Wed January 14, 2015)

Greetings, Lutz.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: A further development Reply with quote

I just spotted this on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-32117427

Looks like the purchaser may have bitten off more than they can chew. Though I am not surprised that an export ban has been enforced.

Let's hope that a counter offer is successful and the statue stays in the UK; though it would of course, be much better off if it was returned to Egypt.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Northampton campaign group praises extension of Sekhemka statue export ban" (Paul Lynch - Northampton Chronicle, 13 August 2015)

"Sekhemka Egyptian statue export ban extended by government" (BBC, 11 August 2015)

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also:

Is a UK buyer matching the price of Northampton’s Sekhemka statue?

It has been stated in some of these articles that it is unlikely that any UK museum or organisation will buy the statue from the Qatari owner of Sekhemka, as that would be seen as "rewarding" the Northampton Museum's decision to sell the statue to begin with, and indeed may cause other museums to follow Northampton's lead, and begin to sell off items, knowing other museums will come in and buy up such works (This is not an idle concern, IMO: one has only to take the last known example of the S. Louis AIA's sale of the Harageh Treasure, famously bought up (except for one headrest) by the Metropolitan Museum of Art).

Basically, I see two factions at work about Sekhemka: 1) there is the local UK "Save Sekhemka" group trying to find a buyer to keep the statue in the UK, and 2) an Egyptian based "Save Sekhemka" group, apparently either a) trying to cajole the Qatari owner to return the item to Egypt, or b) trying to ascertain if the removal of Sekhemka in 1850 was illegal, and thus requiring the item to be returned to Egypt, without any compensation. I see the last option as not being realistic, while the former option seems also somewhat dubious and somewhat wishful.

I doubt there would be many buyers out there willing to part with £16 million + (one has to assume the Qatari owner would want more than he paid for it), and then present it for permanent loan to any museum (and most definitely not the Northampton's Museum). If such an owner exists, I would assume they want to get in writing, and pledged by blood, from any museum that it would not dare sell it without returning it to the owner, or allowing it to go to another museum.

Just my observations...

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Could Egypt Recover the Statue of Sekhemka?" (Nevine El-Aref - Ahram Online, 22.08.2015)
Quote:
"Ministry of Antiquities launches fund raising campaign to buy 4500-year-old statue sold last year in London, stops archeological cooperation with Northampton Museum for selling it ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK Defers Sekhemka Statue Export Licence

Quote:

UK Culture Minstry has deferred a decision on whether to grant an export licence for an ancient Egyptian statue sold at Christie’s last year to 2016 in an effort to keep the artefact on British soil.

Government Statement

Detailed Story/Apollo Magazine

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK Defers Sekhemka Statue Export Licence

Quote:

UK Culture Minstry has deferred a decision on whether to grant an export licence for an ancient Egyptian statue sold at Christie’s last year to 2016 in an effort to keep the artefact on British soil.

Government Statement

Detailed Story/Apollo Magazine

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Egyptian ambassador proposes plan to share Sekhemka

Quote:

The Egyptian embassy is prepared legally to own the sculpture and lend it for equal periods to the British Museum and the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. The proposal would represent an unprecedented compromise between two nations that want to display the same antiquity. Sekhemka is arguably the finest piece of non-royal sculpture from Old Kingdom Egypt in existence.

<...>

Under Kamel’s proposal, lending Sekhemka to Egypt would require a temporary UK export licence, but this could be granted if UK authorities were confident that the sculpture would be returned.

The key question now is whether a matching-price buyer will manage to raise £15.8m before the second deferral period ends on 29 March. If not, Sekhemka is almost certain to go abroad.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egyptian statue sold by Northampton Borough Council granted export licence

Quote:

The issue of an export licence to the anonymous overseas owner was deferred several times by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS).

As neither group could find a buyer, an export licence is now to be granted.

"After a year under export deferral, no buyer has come forward to purchase the Sekhemka statue," a DCMS spokesman said.

"As such, an export licence will now be issued to the owner."

===========================================

Truly, a tragedy.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: