Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discovery timeline?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheErrantWilder
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Discovery timeline? Reply with quote

Yes I am yet another writer asking for help! I am sorry you must be tired of this but I am stuck! I have just finished Uni and as I am between graduation and work I decided to dedicate my free time to my other loves, Ancient Egypt and writing. So I am writing a book, it is not set in Ancient Egypt but in 1912. I can find infomation about ancient egypt myself, thanks to this site mostly! And I have found what the political climate was like then too. But I am finding it difficult to know what had been discovered at that time and what hadn't, what did they know back then about Ancient Egypt?

I am still in the research stage of it and I want to do it right, I really dislike it when authors ignore historical (or scientific ect) facts because they are too lazy to research it. I need to know what I can or can not include in my book. For example Tutankhamun's tomb had not been discovered but Abu Simbel had, what was going on in the world of Egyptology at that time?

Any books, or other media, to help me would be great and a massive THANK YOU for your help!!

The girl in my avatar is me, age ten.
Iker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Discovery timeline? Reply with quote

Breasted's second revised edition of "History of Egypt" was published that year and is available free/out of copyright, from Internet Archive. JSTOR now has free access to many out of copyright journals from that era. I don't know if there any specific to your needs but I come across quite a lot on Egypt in biblical journals because of the great interest in Book of Exodus related themes. Britannica 11th edition dates from 1911 and is also available at Internet archive. Breasted's successor at the Oriental Institute, John A. Wilson book "Signs and Wonders Upon Pharaoh: A History of American Egyptology" I think is still available for free download at the OI web site. Budge's "By Nile and Tigris" might also be good source of stories. Sorry I don't have a link to a good time-line of discovery as such.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have a look at the "Annales du Service des Antiquités de l’Egypte (ASAE)", "... a journal which, over the course of more than a century, has served as a forum for scholarly discussion and the publication of important discoveries and research. ..." (MSA / SCA). The first volumes are available online at...

"Gallica : Annales du Service des antiquités de l'Égypte - ASAE (1 / 1900 - 19 / 1920)" & "Internet Archive : ASAE (1 - 20)" .

Also of interest would be, I think... Leslie Greener : The Discovery of Egypt. - London : Cassell, 1966. - XVI, 216 p., 2 maps, 74 ill.:
Quote:
"OEB 11795 (AEB 1966.0244) : "This book is a study of the praehistory and protohistory of Egyptology, from Khaemwase, the son of Ramses II, who restored old monuments, until the death of Mariette in 1881. An endless procession of Greek and Roman tourists, medieval pilgrims, Renaissance scholars, adventurers, treasure-hunters and archaeologists passes in review, some well known in Egyptology, others seldom mentioned, while of nearly all of them a typical passage from their books is quoted. Some events are more extensively dealt with, e.g. the stay in Egypt of Prosper Jollois, member of Napoleon's expedition and collaborator of the Description de l'Egypte; the extraction of the zodiac from Dendera in 1821 by Lelorrain; the history of the decipherment of the hieroglyphs; and the life of Mariette. Although written as a novel, the book contains important material for the history of Egyptology."

and also online available ... John A. Wilson : Signs & Wonders upon Pharaoh - A History of American Egyptology. - Chicago and London : The University of Chicago Press, 1964. - XXVI, 244 p., 50 ill. on 32 pl.:
Quote:
OEB 7738 (AEB 1964.0550) : "This book, which is dedicated to the memory of three great American egyptologists: J. H. Breasted, G. A. Reisner and H. Winlock, presents more than the subtitle suggests. It is in fact a history of egyptologists as well as of their science, and it reaches far beyond America's mere contribution to it. In ten chapters the author treats in a vivid style life and work of all outstanding and many less important egyptologists from the end of the 18th century until our days, those being in life, however, excluded."

OI Publication : "One hundred and fifty years ago, Americans could not match the scholars of France, Germany, and Great Britain in the study of ancient Egypt. Americans were concerned with their own future in their own land, were engrossed in the struggle between the North and the South, and had only a slight curiosity about Egypt as a land which figured, rather unpleasantly, in the Bible.

In the years between1894 and 1914, the pursuit of Egyptology shifted from the pleasant and leisurely avocation of the wealthy amateur to the serious and dedicated vocation of the professional. Two Americans, James Henry Breasted and George A. Reisner, won international recognition and occupied the first two chairs of Egyptology established in this country. A similar change was taking place in parallel archeological fields, but the concern of this book is limited to the study of ancient Egypt."

A look at ... "Le Bulletin de l’Institut français d’archéologie orientale - BIFAO (1 / 1901 - 113 / 2013)" could also be helpful in this case.

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: