Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MAD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
golem
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: MAD Reply with quote

WHHYYYYY??!? AAAAAH
so many idiots think sphinx is suppose to have human head
how can you not realize that the arms are like 10x bigger than his body
and he looks so ugly with human head and it doesnt make any sense
you can clearly see that alot of parts are missing

i wonder what he was before hmm Idea i've seen people say it's a lion
do you know?
golem
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://www.robertschoch.com/images/sphinx/sphinxasliondvd1.jpg[/img]

seems legit
golem
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops img didnt work Sad sry, cant delete post
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, many idiots do not think before they write ... Or at least read the manuals.
golem
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: wyr Reply with quote

uuhm....what manuals? what the **** are you talking about xD
not really sure what you were thinking before you wrote that tbh.
how could i have not have thought something while answering to my own post? that means i was thinking something about what i just wrote and felt like answering it and follow my thoughts..

what are you doing here anyways? either you answer my question or you go and live in your little *** world that's full of lies
tripnfelt
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you start a post calling a general consensus idiots and presenting wacky theories you might get some hostility back.
The arms are pretty long so it's possible the head was originally planned a bit bigger - but when carving rock sometimes a flaw means you have to downsize your original plans which could have happened to the head. If you look at other egyptian Sphinx statues, like Hatshepsut, the arms seem oversized as well - so it was just the egyptian art style, but the great Sphinx also looks more in proportion viewed from some distances and angles which could have been the intention. I think the great Sphinx was always supposed to be a sphinx - lion body+human head, as Egyptians were mad for them as gaurdian symbols. I think it's beautiful.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tripnfelt wrote:
I think if you start a post calling a general consensus idiots and presenting wacky theories you might get some hostility back. ...

I could not have it better expressed... Cool

tripnfelt wrote:
... it's possible the head was originally planned a bit bigger - but when carving rock sometimes a flaw means you have to downsize your original plans which could have happened to the head. ...

The head was, apart of that, at least once revised / reworked (for the New Kingdom confirmed by the remains of the braided gods beard, today in Cairo and London). Braided gods beards are unknown before the NK.

I do not know a lion statue / sphinx from AE with this classic lush mane of the male lion. If at all, it is kept short and rather small (see the so called "Hyksos - sphinx", objects originally from the Middle Kingdom and later usurped). In the majority however, it does not exist.

Greetings, Lutz.
Medjay Archer
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept of a king (or queen) in a symbolic represention of possessing a lion body goes along the idea of power just like those human-headed bull statues in Assyria. It is the idea that the divine king is absolute in power and anyone daring to be a rebel will be retaliated as strongly as the lion would do against its helpless prey.

Thus, a lion-headed lion statue (oxymon definition gotta say here) is not meant to represent the king, but a lion (divine or not). When human-headed, that is different.
Kmt is not a racial term nor a reference to the black silt deposited on the Nile valley, but an expression of "standing on place wherein food is plenty, allowing to stop moving like the neighbouring nomads". -Asar Imhotep
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: