Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are people gone to?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Medjay Archer
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Where are people gone to? Reply with quote

Just curious. It seems that the popularity regarding Egypt went strong years ago, but lately a long exodus took place. Any reason for this? And this isn't the sole forum (pls no deletion this time for mentioning "other forum") suffering from this.

I'm kinda sad I arrived so late. Wink
Kmt is not a racial term nor a reference to the black silt deposited on the Nile valley, but an expression of "standing on place wherein food is plenty, allowing to stop moving like the neighbouring nomads". -Asar Imhotep
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Where are people gone to? Reply with quote

Medjay Archer wrote:
Just curious. It seems that the popularity regarding Egypt went strong years ago, but lately a long exodus took place. Any reason for this? And this isn't the sole forum (pls no deletion this time for mentioning "other forum") suffering from this.

I'm kinda sad I arrived so late. Wink

As a moderator of a number of "other forums" (though won't list them here), I can say that interest in ancient Egypt waxes and wanes depending upon the import of

- new discoveries in the field
- debate over a known artefact which makes national news; and/or
- some extravagant documentary or film - such as The Mummy movies

excite a whole new group of "Egyptophiles."

You will probably see activity on Egyptian forums grow again when, say, the Hieroglyphs TV series begins in the near future, as everyone will have questions about what the topics on the series mean. The same is also true when the Gods of Egypt movie is issued, possibly as early as late 2014 or early 2015.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And some of us, while still checking in regularly, don't have anything to say at the moment. Wink
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why people don't reply or show interest in new posts. Their are still a lot of exciting new finds happening in Egypt today but for some reason these no longer generate discussion on here.

Here is just an example of new findings within the last two months:

http://www.livescience.com/44476-ancient-egyptian-tomb-with-pyramid-entrance-discovered.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2623342/3-100-year-old-tomb-royal-messenger-named-Paser-reveals-visions-ancient-Egyptian-afterlife.html

One positive of Hawass was that he certainly had the ability to make AE interesting and relevant and in the process make a lot of people fascinated with it, which lead to wide discussion about it in the news, something which only in hindsight can I see is missing today with his absence.
Nefer-Ankhe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree with you regarding Zahi Hawass, also I'm not too keen on the idea of the TV series 'Hieroglyphs', even the title of the TV series seems wary and rather 'Cliché'.

The TV series will undoubtedly illustrate an aspect of ancient Egyptian history, that is not necessarily historically factual or correct, however will still leave generations to follow believing in inaccurate aspects about ancient Egypt, which concerns me the most.

I have people from my year, utterly convinced about certain things involving ancient Egypt, for example, that the pharaoh's regularly buried people alive, including Cleopatra or that the ancient Egyptian's didn't sacrifice cats and the most crazy theory yet! That King Tut and his uncle Ay, raped people for whatsoever reason... all because they watched or read something misleading and for those who lack common sense and are gullible, this concerns me.

Apologies for the dribble aha!
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the big "peak" in recent years was following the publication of the late 19th Dynasty royal mummies DNA analysis.

I'm frustrated that apparently work was done on the 19th and more 18th Dynasty mummies from various sources and nothing has been published.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a positive note I stumbled across a show on TV about the Nile featuring Joanna Lumley just the other night, and found Lumley's down to earth approach and unique perspective refreshing.

Your taken off the well trodden tourist track and are immersed in Egyptian culture during the first episode, as Lumley embarks on a search for the source of the Nile. It has references to AE and even includes some ancient sites, overall it was quite fun and I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in AE.

On the next episode they are about to travel out of Egypt and you really get that feeling of adventure watching it.

It's airing on pay TV here in Australia and am unsure if it is also airing in the US/UK. I can't wait to watch the next episode.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes quantity is not necessarily a sign of quality...
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the Lumley program of just documentaries on AE in general?

That's true for a lot of the AE documentaries although all of them are entertaining which I guess is the main thing.

At least they get people interested in AE which then leads them to forums like this where they can sort fact from fiction, and can only help the cause for preserving AE sites and artifacts into the future.

Regarding the Lumley program, I just did a search for it and found some very negative reviews which I don't think are accurate. They say their are a lot of inaccuracies in the program, however at the end of the day whatever these are, I am sure they are only technicalities and I personally welcome Lumley's human approach to Egypt, where she supports the local people and industry and brings them into our homes through this program, instead of the usual scientific factual only approach which takes the people of Egypt out of the equation and come across as clinical and monotonous after a while.

Anyway this still doesn't explain the lack of interest in AE which is puzzling.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrismackint wrote:
Do you mean the Lumley program of just documentaries on AE in general? ...

No, actually more in relation to "... a long exodus took place. ... And this isn't the sole forum ..." from the first post in this thread, by Medjay Archer.

Greetings, Lutz.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know their were some really passionate people on here a few years ago, and I don't understand the phenomenon that is people abandoning a forum after being here for years and years.

My view is it's not a reflection on the quality of discussion that causes this, but a fatigue people feel with AE.

This may be explained by people believing they have already discussed everything their is to discuss and their is nothing new to keep their interest and so they leave.

Or the unrest in Egypt that has been happening for the last few years and constant negativity coming out of Egypt could be contributing to the mass exodus on AE forums as people become overwhelmed by the scale of the problems experienced by Egypt today, rightly causing them to switch off and forget.

Or it could be the impersonal nature of this medium the internet, and this way of interacting in the virtual world where people say things because of their perceived anonymity, which they otherwise would not when interacting with others face to face in the real world and could explain why a lot of people leave after a while.

I know for a time to me it meant something to be apart of this forum, as my time on here took up a large chunk of my life looking back and I did feel as though I was apart of a unique community full of intelligent people who shared my interest for this subject.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a network thing. The more people post the more people read them and are then encouraged to reply.

It's true this forum and others are going through a quite period just now but stalwarts such as Lutz helps to to keep this forum alive, and as others have said new TV programmes, films and possible new discoveries will bring people back and attract new members.

It is true of course that all the trouble in Egypt lately has meant that people have put off going there thus reducing the interest, but with luck things will settle down and we will all be able to go there again without worry.

So don't get too despondent, things will pick up again I am sure.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed some of the familiar faces will decide to come back, as it was a lot of fun while it lasted. I still enjoy reading the interesting things people continue to post and like learning something new whenever I visit here, it's great.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the looting of artifacts from the Egyptian Museum in Cairo along with the questionable way in which some items were returned, may be a contributing factor in why a lot of people have lost interest in Egypt.

This is a good article on the subject, and let's you come to your own conclusions about what really went on.

http://paul-barford.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/tutankhamun-harpooning-statue-recovered.html
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes people just get busy with other things.
Life is hectic. Work, health and other things interfere. Very Happy

LOL That's my excuse anyways!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: