Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The EgyptianVerb a nd it's Confusions :/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yandiel
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: The EgyptianVerb a nd it's Confusions :/ Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the proper site to ask this but here goes..

While self teaching myself Egyptian I've grown a bit lost with some of the "verbology" (for lack of a better term). Obviously it's quite difficult to see "sdm=f" and know it's exact meaning without taking a look at the entirety of the sentence.

I recently read somewhere (James P Allen), that egyptologists haven't completely come into agreement on how to classify Classical /Middle Egyptian verbs or how to properly categorize the forms, this partially explains my ignorance. Anyhow,
So technically there isn't a "present tense" or a "past tense" better termed "the simple tenses" as I initially believed while reading deeper into the Egyptian language, since the idea of the verb is believed to be tenselss.

While reading and doing some research on my own, I realized with the "past tense" (sdm-n=f) how it may have been vocalized CaCi(C) + na + pronomial suffix thus we have: sadimnaf = he heard. This formula is the same for "adjectival verb construction" : nfr = nafir (though I'm unable to remember if both words contain a long "a" off the top of my head). So could it be that the two closest cognates for "the simple tense" actually be a form of participle instead since participles, I believe, are generally agreed upon and this participle then imitates one of the "simple tenses"?!

I've noticed many books fail to mention sdm=f -"present tense" and immediately gets into a ridiculous explanation of their take on the verbal system and goes immediately into sdm=f without full detail and /or gets into the sdm-n=f with a bit more detail although leav ing more to the imagination and ul timately you're left with "what the hell did I just read?!"

Does anyone understand my concerns here or am I the only one struggling with comprehension of the simple tenses?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: