Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue here their and everywhere
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Blue here their and everywhere Reply with quote

I stumbled across this article about a new laser eye treatment which put a fresh perspective on eye colour.

It seems everyone has the potential to have blue eyes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2074243/New-laser-surgery-turns-brown-eyes-blue-critics-say-reckless-vanity.html
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the west can no longer define and seperate it'self by blue eyes I wonder what social implications this will have for our society.

I mean in the context of other cultures in asia and africa adopting western traditions, lifestyles, clothing and blond hair I wonder if they will also choose to adopt this western trait also.

I guess this will erode the barriers between "us" and "them" and create a homogeneous global community.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrismackint wrote:
... I guess this will erode the barriers between "us" and "them" and create a homogeneous global community.

Well, this requires probably a bit more than that?! As long as the people here in our "1st world" throw pills so they do not get fat despite to overeating and at the same time every few minutes a child dies of hunger in the so called "3rd world" ... This is really "blue eyed / naive".
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are right. I guess it will just become the newest fashion trend or must have fashion accessory and then when people get bored they will move onto something else. It won't change anything. I doubt it will even be a success.

I'm only trying to understand the phenomenon that is the desire to emulate the west.

The west is not the problem. We were once starving and controlled by corrupt rich elites but we changed that by having respect for our fellow human beings and got rid of those bad governments which resulted in the lifestyles we have today. It didn't just magically happen. No we are not perfect as our recent colonising shows. But we realized the mistake of colonialization and now welcome all peoples to live in our societies and treat all people with equal respect.

People starving in developig countries is the result of small rich elites who control all the wealth, and who the people allow to act in such a corrupt way. It also has to do with a poor work ethic, culture of blame and victimisation mentality. I don't know about you but I work, work and work and I only just manage to survive. I could sit around feeling sorry for myself and be homeless on the street if I wanted. At the end of the day if a country or person is starving you can't continue to place the blame onto somebody else. At some point the individual has to take responsibity for where they end up in life. Everything in life is a choice.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I have to shoot myself in the foot everytime! And here I go again...

I was just trying to get at the point that this technology could have implications for society that we have not even thought of. Wiser if I didn't state what those implications might be.

As someone who was born with blue eyes that went brown I am aware of eye colour and can understand how this technology has the potential to make millions of people happy. Doesn't mean I will personally seek out a change but I know their are a lot of impressionable people out their who will want to. Seems like this whole topic is just a manifestation of my own insecurities.

Strage fact, the first blue eyed baby had brown eyed parents.

http://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/news/fte/blueeyedpeople/blueeyedpeople
Iker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The west is not the problem. We were once starving and controlled by corrupt rich elites but we changed that by having respect for our fellow human beings and got rid of those bad governments which resulted in the lifestyles we have today. It didn't just magically happen.

Change usually came about by people having to fight and die for the liberties that you and I think we have. At some point the money elite think it is in their interest to improve the lot of the lower orders because they feel threatened. The default is always to respect the other person but ideologies are another matter and some are so bad that I do not respect the person who holds them.
Quote:
No we are not perfect as our recent colonising shows. But we realized the mistake of colonialization and now welcome all peoples to live in our societies and treat all people with equal respect.

We basically destroyed the native cultures of the Americas and Australia. Peoples who now live in reservations with their lands stolen from them by the Mammon worshippers posing as Christians. Alcoholism, drug addiction, gambling, gadgets, materialsim all try to fill a hole that cannot be filled because it is of the spirit.

Quote:
People starving in developing countries is the result of small rich elites who control all the wealth, and who the people allow to act in such a corrupt way.
All of us have sheep like tendencies (it helped building up the first communities that emerged from the hunter gathers) and so long as we have good shepherds then that is no bad thing. The media is largely controlled by the wealthy. People who believe they think independently are just as likely to be one step above the level of a shabti figure because they are programmed by the mass media which is controlled by the money elite. There are numerous exhortations from AE about the need of the wealthy to be responsible towards the rest of society.

Having a house full of gadgets made by slave labour, out of sight and out of mind, isn't storing up treasure in the West. (Slavery in the ancient world was endemic but there is huge mitigation that has to be factored in) Indeed there is that late period text which is often taken as the precursor of the Dives and Lazarus gospel story told by Jesus which depicts a terrible fate for the wealthy who ignore the plight of the poor.

Quote:
It also has to do with a poor work ethic, culture of blame and victimisation mentality. I don't know about you but I work, work and work and I only just manage to survive. I could sit around feeling sorry for myself and be homeless on the street if I wanted
Any idea the number of feast days that took place in AE and how they were celebrated? We work to live and not live to work.
There is no merit in choosing a life of constant work, or approving a of economic system that enforces such as lifestyle, that leaves no or little time for family, education, pastimes, recreation and consideration of what we are doing here and what are the prospects for the next life (if the person has some kind of faith). There is no merit in supporting an economic system that is based on insatiable greed, i.e buy, buy, buy, work, work, work, infinite needs and consumption - especially when it involves valuing the labour of the person who makes our goods way below what we would consider a wage of dignity in our own countries.

The neoliberals think thay have struck a seem of gold by pumping out through the media the strivers v shirkers garbage in order to divide the lower orders against themselves. It makes the "strivers" (i.e those who are lucky to have a job) feel virtuous and living saints whilst demonising the aged, infirm, talentless who cannot find gainful employment. The virtual slaves are working all the hours under the sun (and made to feel good about it!) whilst the wealth they create goes into the pockets of a very small number of people. Basically they think we are useful fools.

Quote:
At the end of the day if a country or person is starving you can't continue to place the blame onto somebody else.

Why not if it is factually true and the person/peoples have no power because it is all in the hands of the exploiters? It is the exploiters (us) who need to take responsibility. Recall how A.E Egyptian texts revolving around judgment and the call to feed the hungry, cloth the naked, take care of the orphan and rewarding the servant fairly?

Quote:
At some point the individual has to take responsibility for where they end up in life. Everything in life is a choice.

For a large part of the population of the world there is very limited choice. This is the common property of poverty, i.e the poor can have next to no choices. From an A.E perspective: the rich person who cannot get enough wealth and thinks nothing of robbing the wages of those who produce his goods has a lot to fear when it comes to judgment. The short version is contained in Luke 16:19-31 and the longer precursor in The Adventures of Setan And Si-Osiris.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrismackint wrote:
Yes you are right. I guess it will just become the newest fashion trend or must have fashion accessory and then when people get bored they will move onto something else. It won't change anything. I doubt it will even be a success.

I'm only trying to understand the phenomenon that is the desire to emulate the west.

One has had the ability to "have blue eyes" since the late 1960's due to contact lenses. The first time I saw such lenses was on a black fashion model in Vogue, and to be frank, she looked stunning. That trend has been around since that time, and I see this present situation as just another fashion statement.

It's all in what you want to appear in this case: turning your eyes permanently one colour over the natural colour seems a large expense when compared to the relatively cheap costs of contact lenses these days.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the replies they have given me a fresh perspective. I understand and agree with your views. But I am trying to focus on the positives and realize I went about this the wrong way by placing blame on the developing countries.

I just wanted to try and understand what it was about the developed world that made it unique and why everyone else so readily adopts western culture. If all peoples are equal then I have come to the conclusion that the differences seen in the west are the product of the political structure coupled with the low melanin phenomenon that gave western people a distinct trait and influenced their ethnocentric ideas that lead to colonization.

It is preplexing to me that other cultures would adopt western traditions and wanted to try and understand the phenomenon. Have you never watched Japanese anime and thought it weird that the portrayls of characters are so alien from the reality in Japan. By highlighting the laser eye article I am asking the qustion does this desire to change and be western stem from an insecurity about their own culture that it'self stems from something as seemingly insignificant as melanin content in the eye. And if it does what will happen if everyone has the choice to have this traditionally western trait.

I only mentioned this topic after I saw that show about globalization that explained the phenomenon of the resterners.

I couldn't care less what people do and won't start anymore politically charged topics.

Here is the resterner article if anyone is also interested in this phenomenon.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/books-and-media/civilization-the-west-and-the-rest-by-niall-ferguson/article4181916/
Iker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was always a strain of quietism in A.E but maybe that should be the subject of a separate thread at some time.

What touched my heart with Ancient Egypt was encountering Maat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maat

The young Bob Dylan sang about a blue eyed boy in "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall".
"And I’ll tell it and think it and speak it and breathe it
And reflect it from the mountain so all souls can see it"
http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/hard-rains-gonna-fall#ixzz3DxYhF6SE
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I have strayed from my original point. I was just drawing attention to the fact that everyone could have blue eyes, which are just the result of an absence of melanin. If people realized they were all the same who knows what that would do for world peace.
Iker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If people realized they were all the same who knows what that would do for world peace.

As the link I gave to the Maat article states "In one Middle Kingdom (2062 to c. 1664 BCE) text the Creator declares "I made every man like his fellow". Maat called the rich to help the less fortunate rather than exploit them, echoed in tomb declarations: "I have given bread to the hungry and clothed the naked" and "I was a husband to the widow and father to the orphan".[10]

The lyrics of the song I gave was written when Bob Dylan was associated with the civil rights movement in the USA (he sung at the Washington gathering when Martin Luther King made his famous "I have a dream speech").

Some subjects are politically charged by their very nature but if a person values the precepts of Maat then, when called, they should sing it from the mountains so all souls can hear it if need be to defend the good. I have some doubts about the rise of quietism in Ancient Egypt and what role, if any, it played in the long drawn out decline. Maybe I will write us something about and see what others think.

p.s Horus had blue eyes in the pyramid texts (but red when angry like Set) but colour symbolism then didn't have racist connotations.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I would never have pondered these questions if I hadn't watched a news report a few years back where they had a room full of children and asked them what they didn't like about themselves or asked them to draw themselves or something. Anyway the children were all of sub-saharan origin ( we are so politically correct I don't know what terminology to use that won't offend someone) in either the US or UK.

Anyway the children all drew blue eyed blonde haired pictures and then the report went on to make out white society had conditioned these children into self-hate.

Now I don't know about you but I found that story utterly frustrating because I don't believe that for one second.

Look at North Asia. In places like Japan where they portray themselves in anime with all western features that have no resembelence to their reality. Now I suppose white people are to blame for that also despite the fact the proportion of white people living in those societies is insignificant and has no bearing on their cultural idenitiy.

I'm just sick and tired of hearing rubbish like this all the time constantly and the way white people are so quick to take the blame for everything illogical in this world. Whatever happened to self determination and being responsible for your own actions. I'm all for being sensetive to others feelings, but this hypersensetivity in ethnic populations living in the west is really painful and starting to get embarrasing. Life is so complicated now and anyone who talks about stuff like this is instantly branded a racist. Sometimes it just makes you wonder what the world will end up like.
Iker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People in the West colour their hair blond, go to fake sun tan studios to darken their skin etc so if people in East like blue eyes (as some do in the West) then so what?
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that is something that these studies always forget to mention.

One thing that always intrigues me is the way western women in Australia/UK/US/NZ of nordic decent with the silly blue eyes all dye their hair blone. All of them. None of them just leave their hair the natural darker blone but all dye it. I just find that bizzare.

Don't get me wrong I'm actually not racist as I can't stand the contemp that white people have and the way they define themselves by those silly blue eyes, while forgetting they are riding on the shoulders of giants.

I'm convinced the brown eyed people are by far superior. You just need to look at all the scientific discoveries made by people with brown eyes to realize that.

If we left the blue eyes to their own devices we would all be worshipping Hilter III and living in primitive 1940's conditions.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just get bored with being covertly marketed the whole blue eyes is superior thing. You just need to turn on the news and see how brown eyed people are portrayed in the news to realize something is up. You never see pictures of blue eyed people living in poverty, despite the fact their are millions doing so in eastern europe, Russia and the US. The incompetence in european and western societies is never highlighted, only is it highlighted in developing countries with large populations of brown eyes.

Countries with majority blue eyes such as in eastern europe and scandanavia have not made any significant contributions to our advancement as a society via technological innovations. Such advancements only seem to come about in societies with both blue and brown eyed populations.

Yeah I know your going to say but blue eyes are beautiful and much better than looking into those turd eyes. Well I'd prefer to look into those turd eyes over those cold colourless eyes and their silly white marble patterning anyday. You can have your wierd freak of nature blue eyes cause I don't want them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: