Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something to watch for.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
neseret wrote:
neseret wrote:
Lutz wrote:
... V & A Museum : "Woven linen, Length: 3.25 in, Width: 3.25 in, Egypt, ca. 1325 BC" (The donor claimed that the fragment formed part of the veil that shrouded the firgures that carried the coffin of Tutankhamun.) ...

I doubt this is the gown, as it would have remained with the Carter hoard and not fallen into private hands. It's far too small (obviously) to be the full gown, if Carter No. 261a, which was 264 X 100 cm, with a 10 cm fringe. ...

Lutz wrote:
... I must say I was also very surprised that an object like this is in the V & A in London. I had never before read somewhere. Do you know someone from this museum? I could write Grajetzki / Quirke and ask if they have an idea...?

I ran across something - ah heck, Reeves, Carter, Hall? - that seemed to imply what this may have been was the shroud covering the coffin itself. That would make sense - more so than it being a gown fragment. If you want to inquire, though, it wouldn't hurt.

I'm gonna send a question-mail ... Quirke is also Research Curator at the Petrie Museum, so maybe he knows someone from the "V & A"?

neseret wrote:
Lutz wrote:
neseret wrote:
... "...The donor claimed that the fragment formed part of the veil that shrouded the figures that carried the coffin of Tutankhamun..."

Hmm. That's a somewhat odd claim, as I know of no "figures", in terms of three-dimensional figure/ines from the tomb, which represented pall-bearers...

I think meant are the deities in the so called "Treasury Room", the annex chamber of the burial chamber. In there sealed shrines standing, they were also covered with cloths.

But they don't act as pallbearers, do they? This is confusing. Idea

No, you are right, they do not. I would say this is more symbolic / literary meant. The author of this web presentation probably has a poetic vein? More details about the object and perhaps a photo I personally would have preferred... Rolling Eyes

neseret wrote:
Lutz wrote:
[I hope Vogelsang-Eastwood responds and can help, very difficult the whole. Do you have in need another "Fummel" in the hindquarters?

OK, you have lost me here. Fummel? scratch

"Fummel" is a German slang-word for dress / clothing. Don't worry, also Google could not translate it... Smile

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Slandering Tutankhamun? Reply with quote

Ankhetmaatre wrote:
I would hadly call it slander. Seems more like educated guesswork, this mummy is so badly damaged that I'm really surprised anyone feels comfortable making any definitve claims about his physical appearance. ...

The Egyptians are sometimes strange in such things. Often such topics are also used from the ruling to divert attention from the real problems in the country. What I've heard there for stuff from the ordanary people during my visits... Heart attack triggering SMS via mobile phone for example. I will never forget this one... Cool

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
I ran across something - ah heck, Reeves, Carter, Hall? - that seemed to imply what this may have been was the shroud covering the coffin itself. That would make sense - more so than it being a gown fragment. ...

And there were even more. Each of the three anthropoid coffins was covered with one and at the end, also the mummy itself.

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: