Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fabric question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Fabric question Reply with quote

The ancient Egyptians' skill in weaving is often highlighted in museum displays and literature, and both Egyptologists and modern textile craftsmen have been amazed by the finery and quality of their preserved fabrics. What threadcount did their finest linen cloth have?

I've read somewhere (but can't find the source) that some of the garments belonging to Tutankhamun were made from a linen cloth with more than a hundred threads per cm - is that kind of fabric even possible to weave?
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fabric question Reply with quote

Mennefer wrote:
The ancient Egyptians' skill in weaving is often highlighted in museum displays and literature, and both Egyptologists and modern textile craftsmen have been amazed by the finery and quality of their preserved fabrics. What threadcount did their finest linen cloth have?

I've read somewhere (but can't find the source) that some of the garments belonging to Tutankhamun were made from a linen cloth with more than a hundred threads per cm - is that kind of fabric even possible to weave?

You are probably thinking of the "shawl" (actually a so-called "christening gown" made for Tutankhamun as a child) numbered Carter No. 261a, which was draped around the statue of Anubis found in the Treasury section of the tomb. Janssen and Janssen (2007) suggested that the weave on this garment is so fine as to take 13,000 man-hours to make (about 9 months). At 264 cms long, with a width of 100, cms, and a fringe 10 cms in length, the weave is so fine it almost appears to be silk.

I did a small presentation last month to a group about this gown (as well as other Tutankhamun clothes and linen items), so I am well familiar with this item.

Tutankhamun's clothes and linen items were published by Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood in the 1990's. I believe Lutz may be able to direct you to her publications on the subject. These may contain the threadcount you are eager to find.

HTH.

From sunny Luxor,

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabric question Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
... Tutankhamun's clothes and linen items were published by Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood in the 1990's. I believe Lutz may be able to direct you to her publications on the subject. ...

On command... Laughing Wink In this thread : "Something to watch for" are some publications mentioned, one or the other is also online.

neseret wrote:
... From sunny Luxor ...

I hate you ... In the cold and rainy Berlin. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Have fun, Lutz.
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you. According to the information I've gathered so far, No. 261a supposedly had a threadcount of 32 x 112 (!) threads per cm. Since the reference is Vogelsang-Eastwood I have no reason to doubt the veracity of that claim, although it almost beggars belief.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: