Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safe in their hands?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tutsbeard
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou!

Does anybody know if we have any articles/ information about what other Egyptologists thought of this botched mask restoration?

I can't find anything at this time. Unfortunately since August 2014 it has become almost impossible to find any information on Tuts mask that doesn't relate to this latest incident.

I'm wondering how do museums ensure such things don't happen in the future? This could have happened anywhere in the world I admit, but seeing this happen to Tuts mask, I admit this was the last thing I ever expected to be reading about.
tutsbeard
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is hilarious haha. I guess in a way I feel sorry for the people of Egypt, as they will always be in the shadow of this very visible and exceptional ancient culture which makes it so easy for the international community to criticize them whenever they get something wrong.

It must be exhausting trying to live up to such an ancient past. I get tired of hearing about aboriginal rock art here all the time; I couldn't imagine having the glory of AE culture thrust in my face everyday. I guess that explains the lax attitude they have to it.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In time for the abandoned photo ban in the museum in Cairo for December...

"King Tut's golden mask back on display next week" (Ahram Online - Aswat Masriya , Thursday 10 Dec 2015)
Quote:
"The golden mask of ancient Egyptian boy king Tutankhamun will be back on display at the Egyptian Museum in central Cairo in a week, Egypt's antiquities minister said on Wednesday.

The mask was being restored after the beard of the priceless antiquity was reportedly broken by cleaners and hastily glued back on with epoxy. Ancient Egypt's youngest king was making headlines in local and international news outlets last January when the incident was revealed.

Minister Mamdouh al-Damati told state news agency MENA that the mask will be back on display after the renovation is complete. The details of the renovation will be announced at a press conference, he added.

In October a German conservator led a team which undertook a full restoration of the mask, funded by a donation of EUR 50,000 from Germany. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What the world might discover from the King Tut mask restoration" (Deutsche Welle - Kristen McTighe, 08.12.2015)
Quote:
"German expert Christian Eckmann is leading the restoration of King Tut's famous mask, which was damaged by a botched repair job. DW met him in Cairo to find out what's hiding behind that clumsy layer of glue. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tutankhamun’s restored gold mask back on display" (The History Blog, 17.12.2015)
Quote:
"The gold funerary mask of Tutankhamun has gone back on display at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo after two months of restoration to repair a botched reattachment of its false beard. ...

... Researchers took the opportunity to study the mask thoroughly. It was 3D scanned and examined inside and out with a microscope in the hope that it might answer some questions about its composition, like what materials and techniques were used to put it together, and whether there is any evidence supporting the theory most recently proposed by British Egyptologist Nicholas Reeves that the mask was first made for Queen Nefertiti and then hastily modified for Tutankhamun after his unexpected death at age 19. ...

... Egypt’s Antiquities Minister Mamdouh el-Damaty said the reattachment came after studies explored the best materials to use for the work.
“We indeed found them to be the natural materials which the ancient Egyptian used; they are still the best tools: beeswax,” el-Damaty told reporters in Cairo on Wednesday. “It was prepared well and the beard was attached very successfully.” ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: