Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When We Were Gods - A Novel Of Cleopatra

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastet_meow
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: When We Were Gods - A Novel Of Cleopatra Reply with quote

This book is a must read. it tells the life of Cleopatra. Everything is in detail.

i advice everyone to read this book.
Cleopatra21
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Memoirs of Cleopatra Reply with quote

I have read When We Were Gods and in my opinion, I found it most dissapointing. I read Margeret Georges' Memoirs of Cleopatra before I read When We Were Gods and it seems like the author of When We Were Gods took a lot of ideas from Georges' book. If you haven't read Memoirs of Cleopatra yet, you MUST. It is the best book I have ever read. They made a movie about it, but that too was very dissapointing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bastet_meow
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have read the book and i've seen the movie (i only like the movie because Billy Zane is in it).
to tell you the truth i like any book that has either cleopatra or nefertari in it. i don't care if it's crap or the best book ever. i love them all.
have you seen the cleopatra movie with elizabeth taylor, did you like it?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time ago I read a book called "Sunrise of Splendor" by Joyce Verrette. It looks like a romance novel, but it is a novel about Nefertari.

The book is not historically correct, but it really is a fun read.
You may have to get it online from some second hand book dealer, but I get the impression that you would really like it.

She has also written books about the early 12th dynasty. I think one of those books is called "Dawn of Desire" . It's the story about Pharaoh Amenemhet and Queen Neferytatenen. This one is pure fiction, and includes a trip to Disney Land Cool But fun to read....
bastet_meow
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like reading fiction books, because sometimes a persons life isn't that interesting so authors like to spice it up a bit.
i don't anything against authors doing something like that.
i have sooooo many books, it's crazy. some i've read more than once too.
queencleopatra
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memoirs of Cleopatra I read and found it good but the movie was very disappointing. They cast a latina girl? What was that? I'm not racist but cleopatra was a greek with (most likely) red hair. She was adecendant of Alexander the Great, yet no one is making a movie with a latin Alexander. LETS HAVE SOME HISTORICAL FACT HERE!

The things I didn't like about the book are that she made Cleopatra skinny. Cleopatra's family actually had a history of being over-weight and in all the paintings before 1900's she wasn't the least bit skinny. Just because it is the latest trend does not make it true. I also did not like that Antony was love-sick. He actually used Cleopatra a bit. It is more likely that she was love-sick for him.
Also, they think she was murdered now. They don't think that she commit suicide. If she did commit suicide then why would she give the note to Octavian? The poision or snake bite would have not even kicked in by the time he found her. All the reports of her death were made by Octavian. If a girl you were going to send to rome for a triumph killed herself before you could, why would you parade it around? Where did the snke go if she commit suicide by snake bite? Why would she not have done it when Julius Caesar was killed, or Antony? Why not just stab yourself then? There are just too many flaws in that story.

Cleopatra's Note
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: