Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pharoahs of the Hebrew captivity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Now, how many "divinely inspired" Bible`s are there and which is the real? And who decides the latter, and why?

How about here with Lessing's "Ring - Parable"?
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Now, how many "divinely inspired" Bible`s are there and which is the real? And who decides the latter, and why?

I think we're looking at two separate questions. Let me clarify the first: One Bible, made up of 66 books, all divinely inspired, and recorded in different times and different places, and sometimes different languages. This is why I say that Hebrews (written much later), could be looked at as a historically different source than Exodus (written earlier).
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unas wrote:
Quote:

I think we're looking at two separate questions. Let me clarify the first: One Bible, made up of 66 books, all divinely inspired, and recorded in different times and different places, and sometimes different languages. ...

And as long they are not made up by 66 different gods ... One book only in the end, or not?
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And as long they are not made up by 66 different gods ...

Yes, I forgot to specify that. Laughing

Quote:
One book only in the end, or not?

Not sure how to best describe it...yes, one book in the end, but made up of many. Does that help?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unas wrote:
Quote:
And as long they are not made up by 66 different gods ...

Yes, I forgot to specify that. Laughing
Quote:
One book only in the end, or not?

Not sure how to best describe it...yes, one book in the end, but made up of many. Does that help?

With a view to...
Unas, Sat May 09, 2015 1:25 pm wrote:
... "All Scripture is breathed out by God..." 2 Timothy 3:16 (there are others as well but that's a well-known one). [ESV]

So the Bible--for me, I know not for everyone--isn't a soup of unrelated writings, it's the Word of God, and all of it is accurate and true, be it the Pentateuch or any other part. ...

... I do not really understand what you want to say with that? What role does it play? What does it say about historical credibility or not? Question
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... I do not really understand what you want to say with that? What role does it play? What does it say about historical credibility or not?

The books were written down during different times in history, but because they are the inspired Word of God, they make up one cohesive story.
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It lies upon the individual asserting faith to offer proof of the claim. And none is ever offered other then "I believe this". This is as valuable as saying "I think pigs can fly". It doesn't prove or forward any real thought.

Please offer reputably documented evidence, outside of horribly missinterpreted English "biblical" writings, because if you don't have that you have nothing to say.

Thank you.
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound a little annoyed, Ankhetmaatre. I hope not, it's just a conversation.

Quote:
This is as valuable as saying "I think pigs can fly".

A potential problem with using "silliness" as an analogy is that it implies religious views are also silly, and completely disregards the real impact that a relationship with God has on people's lives (over 2 billion Christians--very significant). By contrast, you won't find any person with an actual personal relationship with a flying pig! Laughing

Now, I'm trying to use my rather poor skills in reading Egyptian to understand your screen name. Ankh=life, maat=order, re=Re?
Is it "Re lives for order?" Smile How is it actually translated?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unas wrote:
... a relationship with God has on people's lives ...

Even at the risk of repeating myself, that's not a Christian discussion board here. I'm here to follow or to have discussions about Egypt and not your pseudo-missionary impulses...
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unas wrote:
... God has on people's lives (over 2 billion Christians--very significant). ...

And, by the way, there are at least just as many people (and more) in the world who do not care...
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And, by the way, there are at least just as many people (and more) in the world who do not care...

No doubt.
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been quite a few years since Catholic school religion class (I was subjected to 12 years of it) but I believe that there's a big difference between believing that the Bible is 'inspired' by God and believing that it is the direct word of God.

Believing that it is inspired by God allows for nuance and metaphor. It empowers the believer to say that maybe the story of Exodus is just a story or a collection of traditions from different sources. Believing that it is the direct word of God means that every word of the Bible is true and the sole permitted source for understanding the world.

At any rate, unless and until someone digs up something which may shed actual light on what, if anything, was the basis of the Exodus story, I'd rather get back to matters Egyptological on this forum. No one's convent anyone here one way or the other.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naunacht wrote:
... but I believe that there's a big difference between believing that the Bible is 'inspired' by God and believing that it is the direct word of God. ...

I agree. And here is one of the problems I have with the posts of Unas (in addition to the lack of relation to Ancient Egypt and the bible school-be liable missionary sounds). They are, by using both, contradictory in itself. That makes it difficult or impossible to discuss them.

Naunacht wrote:
... Believing that it is inspired by God allows for nuance and metaphor. It empowers the believer to say that maybe the story of Exodus is just a story or a collection of traditions from different sources. ...

And this view is probably the clear dominant in modern biblical scholarship, both of Hebrew / Christian and also non-religiously-bound scientists.

Greetings, Lutz.
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They are, by using both, contradictory in itself. That makes it difficult or impossible to discuss them.

Typically I don't avoid a topic just because it is difficult, however I will concede that the subject of topic has drifted too far. Thanks guys, it was thought-provoking indeed! Smile
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unas wrote:
Lutz wrote:
They are, by using both, contradictory in itself. That makes it difficult or impossible to discuss them.

Typically I don't avoid a topic just because it is difficult, however I will concede that the subject of topic has drifted too far. Thanks guys, it was thought-provoking indeed! Smile

You're right, the words "difficult or" are incorrect and should be deleted...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: