Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ancient Egypt and Christianity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chepses
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Ancient Egypt and Christianity Reply with quote

Since I'm currently working on a paper about similarities between Christianity and Ancient Egyptian religion and some influence the latter may had had on the first, can you help me regarding bibliography? Until now I acquired the following books:

Allen, James P. – Genesis in Egypt: The Philosophy of Ancient Egyptian Creation Accounts

Assmann, Jan – Moses the Egyptian. The memory of Egypt in Western Monotheism

Assmann, Jan – Of God and Gods. Egypt, Israel and the Rise of Monotheism

Assmann, Jan – The Price of Monotheism

ElSebaie, Sherine M. – The Destiny of the World: A Study on the End of the Universe in the Light of Ancient Egyptian Texts

Matthews, Victor H. – Old Testament Parallels: Laws and Stories from the Ancient Near East

Osman, Ahmed – Christianity: An Ancient Egyptian Religion

Sayce, A. A. – Race in Ancient Egypt and the Old Testament

Sharpe, Samuel – Egyptian Mythology and Egyptian Christianity

I don't know if it's enough, I don't know if the information on them is good and reliable, i.e., supported by archaeology and historical facts, and I feel really lost. Any help is welcome Smile
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As so many of the contentions in this subject revolve around the Amarna period, then I suggest adding to your list "Akhenaten and the Religion of Light" by Erik Hornung. This is not about Christianity in Egypt, but a solid understanding of Akhenaten as is possible with the available evidence is essential. Also of help may be "Akhenaten, history and fantasy in Ancient Egypt" by Dominic Montserrat.

I would avoid any book by Ahmed Osman as he is a fringe author dealing with fantasy, IMO. However, and I know this is very contentious and raises peoples hate levels depending on their own religious beliefs, I would read "Christ in Egypt" by D.M.Murdock, were she contends that Christ is Horus. There is a lot of nonsense that any professional Egyptologist will laugh at, but she does point out some real similarities, such as the Isis/Horus - Mary/Jesus iconography, and the book does at least specifically address the subject and can be used as a sort of road map to specific points of interest/contention that can then be followed up in more scholarly works.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your may wish to review my online Power Point presentation on the influence of ancient Egyptian religion on today's modern religions (primarily Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, with a discussion on Hermetic philosophy).

It is at academia.edu:

Ancient Egyptian Religious Influence On Modern Religions

I also possess a bibliography that went with the presentation. You can private message me if you would like a copy (I will need your direct e-mail address to send).

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: another book Reply with quote

Out of Egypt by Ahmed Osman is another good one of his books not listed above, giving evidence of Christian roots in Egypt.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: another book Reply with quote

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Osman_(author)]Ahmed Osman[/url] gives no evidence, he is telling ferry-tales ...
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahmed Osman (author)
leiza
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: another book Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
Out of Egypt by Ahmed Osman is another good one of his books not listed above, giving evidence of Christian roots in Egypt.

Thanks, i was actually thinking of buying one of his books.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: another book Reply with quote

leiza wrote:
dzama923 wrote:

Thanks, i was actually thinking of buying one of his books.

I wouldn't: Osman tends to interpret a great deal of things with absolutely NO evidence, but makes it seem plausible by making strained (and outlandish) comparisons of one religion to another, which have no basis in fact.

I would save my money and buy some of the other works suggested in the first comment to this thread, as they have more scholarship and evidence for their theories.

I also suggest the following, which I used on making my Power Point presentation (noted above) on the "Ancient Egyptian Religious Influence On Modern Religions":

Assmann, J. 2001. The Search for God in Ancient Egypt. D. Lorton, transl. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.

__________. 1997. Moses the Egyptian: The Memory of Egypt in Western Monotheism. Cambridge/London: Harvard University Press.

__________. 1994. Ocular desire in a time of darkness: Urban festivals and divine visibility in Ancient Egypt. In A. R. E. Agus and J. Assmann, Eds., Ocular Desire: Sehnsucht des Auges: 13-29. Yearbook for Religious Anthropology/Jahrbuch für Religiöse Anthropologie. Berlin: Akademie Verlag.

Brandon, S. G. F. 1970. Redemption in Ancient Egypt and Early Christianity. In R. J. Z. Werblowski and C. J. Bleeker, eds., Types of Redemption. Contributions to the Theme of the Study-Conference Held at Jerusalem 14th to 19th July 1968: 36-45. Studies in History of Religions (Supplements to Numen) 18. Leiden, E. J. Brill.

Bresciani, E. 1981. Dall'Egitto ellenistico all'Egitto cristiano: l'eredità faraonica. In XXVIII Corso di Culture sull'arte Ravennate a Bizantina. Ravenna, 26 aprile / 8 maggio 1981: 21-30. Ravenna: Edizioni del Girasole.

Brunner, H. 1988. Das hörende Herz. Kleine Schriften zur Religions- und Geistesgeschichte Ägyptens. Orbis Biblicus et Orientalis, 80. Freiburg Schweiz: Universitätsverlag / Göttingen, Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht.

Brunner-Traut, E. 1981. Gelebte Mythen. Beiträge zum altägyptischen Mythos. Darmstadt: Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft.

Carcenac Pujol, C-B. 1987. Jesús, 3.000 años antes de Cristo: un Faraón llamado Jesús. Esplugues de Llobregat (Barcelona): Plaza & Janés.

Cramer, M. 1955. Das altägyptische Lebenszeichen im christlichen (koptischen) Ägypten. Eine kultur- und religionsgeschichtliche Studie auf archäologischer Grundlage. Dritte neu bearbeitete und erweiterte Auflage. Wiesbaden: Otto Harrassowitz.

Doresse, J. 1960. Des hiéroglyphes à la croix. Ce que le passé pharaonique a légué au Christianisme. Uitgaven van het Nederlands Historisch-Archaeologisch Instituut te İstanbul VII. İstanbul: Nederlands Historisch-Archaeologisch Instituut in het Nabije Oosten.

Dubler, C. E. 1963. Altägyptische Miszellen im Islam. Asiatische Studien/Etudes Asiatiques (Bern) 16: 107-124.

Griffiths, J. G. 1996. Triads and Trinity. Cardiff: University of Wales Press.

___________. 1994. Divine Judgement in the Hermetic Writings. In C. Eyre, A. Leahy and L. M. Leahy, Eds., The Unbroken Reed. Studies in the Culture and Heritage of Ancient Egypt in Honour of A.F. Shore: 125-137. Occasional Publications 11. London: Egypt Exploration Society.

___________. 1991. The Divine Verdict. A Study of Divine Judgement in the Ancient Religions. Studies in the History of Religions (Supplement to Numen) 52. Leiden: Brill.

___________. 1974. The Divine Tribunal. An Inaugural Lecture delivered at the University College of Swansea on 3 December, 1974. [Swansea]: University College of Swansea.

Gross, K. 1985. Menschenhand und Gotteshand in Antike und Christentum. Stuttgart: Anton Hiersemann Verlag.

Hallock, F. H. 1934. Christianity and the old Egyptian religion. ER 2: 6-17.

Hammerschmidt, E. 1957. Altägyptische Elemente im koptischen Christentum. Ostkirchliche Studien (Würzburg) 6: 233-250.

Hornung, E. 1982. Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt: The One and the Many. J. Baines, transl. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.

_________. 2001. The Secret Lore of Egypt: Its Impact on the West. D. Lorton, transl. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.

Lanczkowski, G. 1955. Zur äthiopischen Madonnenverehrung. Zeitschrift für Kirchengeschichte (Stuttgart) Vierte Folge IV. LXVI. Band (1954/55): 25-38.

Michaïldis, G. 1976. Introduction à une étape de l'aventure humaine de l'Atonisme au Christianisme. BSAC 22: 87-144.

Morenz, S. 1964. Ägyptische Spuren in den Septuaginta. In Mullus. Festschrift Theodor Klauser: 250-258. Jahrbuch für Antike und Christentum, Ergänzungsband 1. Münster: Aschendorffsche Verlagsbuchhandlung.

_________. 1973 (1960). Egyptian Religion. A. E. Keep. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.

Rees, B. R. 1950. Popular Religion in Graeco-Roman Egypt, II. The Transition to Christianity. JEA 36: 86-100.

Scholz, P. O. 1993. Die Kontinuität des Altägyptischen in der Ikonizität und Theologie des Orientalischen Christentums. In VI Congresso Internationale di Egittologia Atti: 471-477. Turin: International Association of Egyptologists.

Tran Tam Tinh, V. 1982. Sarapis and Isis. In Ben F. Meyer and E. P. Sanders, eds., Jewish and Christian Self-definition, 3: Self-definition in the Graeco-Roman World: 101-117. London: SCM Press Ltd.

Witt, R. E. 1971. Isis in the Ancient World. Baltimore/London: John Hopkins University Press.

Zandee, J. 1955. De descensus ad inferos bij de Kopten. Nederlands Theologisch Tijdschrift (Wageningen) Jaargang 9, Aflevering 3 (Februari 1955): 158-174.

_______. 1960. Death as an Enemy According to Ancient Egyptian Conceptions. Studies in the History of Religions (Supplements to Numen) 5. W. F. Klasens. Leiden: Brill.

Zuntz, D. 1929. Eine Vorstufe der "Madonna lactans". Berliner Museen 50: 32-35.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: