Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bent Pyramid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Bent Pyramid Reply with quote

The Bent Pyramid is an interesting building. I've read a few theories on why it was built the way it was, and they all suggest practical, "construction" reason for the two angles, and assume it was not originally intended to be that way.

I think the it's actually a kind of attractive building the way it is. Smile I wonder if it's possible that the Bent Pyramid was 'bent' on purpose for aesthetic reasons? Could this unique look have been intended from the beginning?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giulio Magli - Dipartimento di Matematica, Politecnico Milano :
EEF - Monday, March 27, 2006 wrote:
"... The analysis of the structural failures of the Bent Pyramid is far from being satisfactory. What Maragioglio and Rinaldi have shown in a definitive way is that there was a "dislocation" of the whole superior mantle of blocks: think of thousands of tons of stone which move together, a bit. The structure actually resisted to this enormous stress, and settled down to a new equilibrium after the fracture observed in the descending passageways was produced.

Now, it is not clear if the fracture occurred before completion of the pyramid - and therefore, they decided to lower the angle - or, if it occurred after, in a period which we do not know (the pyramid was carefully restored in antiquity, especially the covering). If it is so, then it might be that the shape of the pyramid was due to symbolic reasons, for instance, a proposal which has been made is that it represents the two crowns of unified Egypt. Establishing without doubts the relative chronology between Bent and Red pyramid would be of help: what is certain is that the second angle is almost equal to the angle of the Red Pyramid; thus, if the Bent was constructed before and collapsed, they used the safer angle for the new, but if the Red was constructed before, then one may think that they tried a new angle for the Bent, coming back to the older after collapse.

As far as I know - but I would be glad of any information - Snefru cave marks with mention of reign year have been found only on the Red. Finally, let me comment about Mendelssohn theory: he was thinking of pyramids as a "social expedient" to employ people during the floods, and therefore that pyramids were constructed continuously in such a way to employ always the same number of people. Thus he was thinking that they decided to lower the angle of the Bent because the Meidum - which was, according to him, in the late stages of construction - collapsed. His theory, rather than being technical, is of historic-sociological nature and, as such, should rather be addressed within such fields. ..."

The concept of "constructed continuously in such a way to employ always the same number of people" was also by Christine El Mahdy in her book "The Pyramid Builder" (London: Headline Book Publishing, 2003) presented, in quite comprehensible manner, if I remember right. This would probably explain the lack of records for the building. The knowledge was passed on directly from one generation to the next in daily practical work.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John A.R. Legon : The Geometry of the Bent Pyramid. - In: Göttinger Miszellen 116. - 1990. - pp. 65-72. On page 66 :

Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lutz! I hadn't run across those writings before, but they make a lot of sense to me. Particularly:

Quote:
If it is so, then it might be that the shape of the pyramid was due to symbolic reasons, for instance, a proposal which has been made is that it represents the two crowns of unified Egypt.

I like this idea quite a bit, with the Bent Pyramid coming as it is from Sneferu.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unas wrote:
... I hadn't run across those writings before, but they make a lot of sense to me. Particularly:
Giulio Magli wrote:
If it is so, then it might be that the shape of the pyramid was due to symbolic reasons, for instance, a proposal which has been made is that it represents the two crowns of unified Egypt.

I can not really connecting. The comparison with the double crown affects on me very much designed. I know of no textual or mythological connection between these two objects that would even begin to justify an equating.

One possibility would maybe a connection to the Ben-Ben-Stone in Iunu (Heliopolis). Here then also the religiously mythological background would fit. The pyramid as "place of the first time" (the creation), as primeval mound, birth / rebirth place of the sun god (and the dead king).

Everything of course under the condition that the exterior form really was planned from the beginning, which is by no means fixed...
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. B. Pritchard : Ancient Near Eastern Texts Relating to the Old Testament. - Princeton, NJ : Princeton University Press, 1969. - XVI, 710 p.

On page 3 :

Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The comparison with the double crown affects on me very much designed.

Possibly. However, the double crown (representing lower and upper Egypt) has a bit of the same feeling: two different things combine into one. Sneferu and a double crown, Sneferu and a "double" pyramid; I can see the connection.

On the other hand, it could be a wrong conclusion as you indicate. Hard to say.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unas wrote:
... On the other hand, it could be a wrong conclusion as you indicate. Hard to say.

I do not think so. As I said, there is any textual or mythological background missing that would justify such an interpretation even remotely...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: